IBM T42 ghost image problems

Hello All, I could really use some help! I searched your forum for similar issues but was unable to find the answer. I've created single PC master images for computers here at my company generally without any problems. However, I can't seem to create a image successfully for a IBM T42? I've created images for IBM T43 and T60's without any problems. I listed my basic image steps below as well as my sysprep.inf file. Basically, when deploying the ghost image to a different IBM T42 with or without the same hard drive as the master T42, it runs through Sysprep but then upon initial boot comes up with the 0x000007b stop error. I've attempted multiple fixes found regarding this stop error but have had no success. I've never came across this error on any other image so I'm not sure whether its a hardware issue, sysprep issue, driver issue, issue with this particular model...etc?? Any help or insight anyone could provide would be great. Thanks in advance!

Image Steps

1. Create image - Windows XP SP2

2. Add company apps and Lenovo drivers

2. Run Sysprep 2.0 - mini setup - reseal

3. Dump image with Ghost 7, using Ghost -IB switch

Sysprep.inf file

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

KeepPageFile=0

ExtendOemPartition=1

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="password"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="company name"

OrgName="company name"

ComputerName=

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386

DistShare=windist

[identification]

JoinDomain=companydomain

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[sysprep]

BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[sysprepMassStorage]

[sysprepcleanup]

stop7b refers to not being able to find the correct driver for the hard disk controller.

What is the reason you are using the -ib switch with ghost? Or is that what fixed the xp problems with ghost 7? Been awhile since I used 7. Been using 8, 8.5 for some time now.

I guess I always thought by having the BuildMassStorageSection=Yes in the sysprep.inf, that Sysprep would populate the SysprepMassStorage list and add all the windows drivers available for the different hard disk controllers? If that is not correct, to fix the stop 7b, where can I add the correct controller driver so upon boot the image will see different controllers? The Sysprep.inf file?

I used the ghost -ib switch because I had some issues initially creating ghost images for the T43/X41 laptops. Found out the MBR for both were comprised of 4 sectors instead of the 1 sector Ghost was expecting. Adding the -IB switch forces Ghost to copy the entire boot track. I've never had a problem with Ghost 7 until now. I have Ghost 8 also, but rarely have used it. Would Ghost 8 be the better solution going forward?

Thanks for the advice!

I think it could be a Sysprep v1.1 error. I encountered a similar error last week while Syspreping the Thinkpad X60 Tablet PC. I have cloned the X60T several times before but this time it err on me. If I remember right, it crashes after I entered the Product Key.

The reason why I think it's a Sysprep error is because I have seen this error when Microsoft consultants came and demonstrated Syspreping OSes inside Virtual PC. The consultant was baffled. He was using v1.1 as well.

I am not sure if v2.0 helps or not...

Edited by iTwins

You get the same stop 7b error iTwins? I have the product key within my Sysprep.inf file. When cloning the image to another T42, I get through the entire sysprep process. It's the proceeding reboot when it crashes with the stop 7b error.

You get the same stop 7b error iTwins? I have the product key within my Sysprep.inf file. When cloning the image to another T42, I get through the entire sysprep process. It's the proceeding reboot when it crashes with the stop 7b error.

1. I suggest using the -bmsd option to build the mass storage section

2. I suggest, just before the final Sysprep reboot (ie just before you Ghost the drive, and immediately before running Sysprep, but before you shut down that last time) that you change the IBM's IDE drivers from whatever they are now to "Standard PCI IDE Controller" or somesuch in Device Manager.

3. I suggest you keep the OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH= statement in there, and ensure you have the appropriate INFs and drivers for all of your chipsets

Net result will be you'll boot up with 'compatibility' IDE drivers, and Sysprep will PnP the right ones to your machine as appropriate.

1. I suggest using the -bmsd option to build the mass storage section

2. I suggest, just before the final Sysprep reboot (ie just before you Ghost the drive, and immediately before running Sysprep, but before you shut down that last time) that you change the IBM's IDE drivers from whatever they are now to "Standard PCI IDE Controller" or somesuch in Device Manager.

3. I suggest you keep the OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH= statement in there, and ensure you have the appropriate INFs and drivers for all of your chipsets

No Go! Still getting the 7b stop error. Something else is causing conflicts. I guess I'll have to start looking at other device drivers.

This is ALL that is in my Sysprep.inf:

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula = YES

[UserData]
FullName = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
OrgName = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword = xxxxxxxxxx
EncryptedAdminPassword = No

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = xxxxxxxx

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

My company's Enterprise Agreement's Volume License Keys do not include Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, therefore I have a sysprep image that doesn't include the Product Key. It will instead ask for the product key when it starts for the first time.

For my X60T, it is definitely Sysprep. Sysprep v1.1 has crashed many times before. That is why we have to test the Sysprep image to ensure it is working prior to rolling into Production.

Finally got an image working on this IBM T42. I stripped most of the Lenovo third party apps & drivers off the image. Just left the core Lenovo drivers: audio, video, LAN, wireless, chipset. Continued to use my original sysprep file. Now my boss wants a universal image, so I'll be digging around this forum for help with that! Thanks to everyone that gave advice.

• 2 weeks later...

What Hal are you using on your master image?

If you are using the ACPI MultiProcessor hal then that image will not work on T42 and below. You need to have the Advanced configuration and power interface Hal specified. Now do some reserach on how you can swith the hals after the machine has been sysprepped for your 43 and newer models.