Virus Scanning from a boot CD?

ZenCoder

Currently I tend to just do a backup image and then scan than on another PC.

If I have to open the case I sometimes connect a IDE to USB Adapter and a Molex Power brick to scan the system with another PC.

However there are many cases where it would be best just to scan from a Boot CD.

I know several free options available but haven't personally tried any.

I am hoping to skip the trial and error and benefit from someones else's expertise.

Edited by ZenCoder

In my opinion, it is best to connect the HDD to another PC by the means you have specified (how most techs do it anyway). The disadvantage of doing it from a Boot CD is not all anti-virus software can be installed in this way, specifically the better ones like Kaspersky and NOD32 because they install Services. ClamWin for example can be put on a BootCD because it is also portable, but it's not a reliable scanner.

In my opinion, it is best to connect the HDD to another PC by the means you have specified (how most techs do it anyway). The disadvantage of doing it from a Boot CD is not all anti-virus software can be installed in this way, specifically the better ones like Kaspersky and NOD32 because they install Services. ClamWin for example can be put on a BootCD because it is also portable, but it's not a reliable scanner.

I'm glad to hear someone say that about the Clam thing. I know one gal that absolutely swears by it.

One little program that does run quite well from a CD, Flash Drive or whatever, is vCleaner from AVG.

Then you can just install AVG 7.5 FREE and do a full scan from Windows.

When you're out in the field, in someones home or business office, you can't incorporate another PC into your work,,,,you have to use what you can carry in with you. Believe me.....I've been running service calls for 43 years. You take what you need with you.

You can download vCleaner

Here.

I use that often as a Precursory scanner, before loading AVG 7.5 FREE.

Good Luck

The OldGoat :wacko:

Thanks, I will play around with the options you have suggested.

My operating procedure to make zero changes until I am ready to start repairs.

So its Run non-invasive scans and tests-> Give Estimate and Options -> Full HD Backup -> Repairs -> Offer Restore to original Condition if they are not 100% satisfied with my work and my price.

The non-invasive virus scanner doesn't have to be perfect. I'll either be doing a clean install or updating all the security software at a later point anyway.