loading xp problem, help, please

miti

Hi

Whenever I start my new pc it takes a long time to start. In the end it starts but it runs slowly. I have an 3gb Pentium with 1gb ram running xp home edition, sp2. Also sometimes the audio is on , sometimes is off and I have to restart to have it on. Why the audio icon is not all the time on the menu bar when I start it and what can I do to make it work faster?

Edited by miti

Use CCleaner to clean out the temp/cache on your PC. If you're not one to clean things out on a regular basis, you'll likely clear out anywhere from 300 MB to 5 GBs of files. CCleaner can also check the Startup Entries. Remove any you don't use on a daily basis.

If you have any of these Norton products installed:

AntiSpam 2004, 2005

AntiVirus 2003-2007

Ghost 2003, 9 or 10

GoBack v3.1 - v4.2

Internet Security 2003-2007

Password Manager

Personal Firewall 2003-2006

SystemWorks 2003,2006

Confidential Online 2007

Download and use the Symantec Norton Removal Tool 2007 to remove them from your PC. NAV and NIS in particular are usually what people remove. They are bloated, ineffective and extremely resource heavy. You may and likely have or will suffered from system performance degradation from NAV or even loss of Internet connection due NIS.

Use jv16 PowerTools 2006's Registry Cleaner on Aggressive Mode to scan, fix and remove invalid registry entries.

Then use the Registry Compactor feature to defragment your registry. Many people don't believe this affects performance at all. I have experienced differently. Maybe not for 300 KBs but for several MBs (15-20% of the registry) it does improve performance. After this is done, Reboot.

Use JKDefrag v3.7 or a trial version of Ultimate Defrag, Diskeeper or PerfectDisk to defragment your HDD(s). Make sure to perform a Boot-Time defrag as well.

After this, your system should be a lot smoother and faster.

Hi Jeremy

I have no Norton stuff installed. I used jv16 PowerTools 2006's Registry Cleaner as you said to defragment the hdd. I rebooted, it's even worse. It takes 2 loooong minutes to start. This pc I bought a few days ago came with a cd containg windows Xp Home Edition that contains sp2 as well.

I tried to reinstall but at some point it asked me to insert the cd containg sp2.....So I skipped the files the sistem was asking me ignoring the warning that without them Windows will malfunction. But why did not pick them up off the same CD if it says it contains them? Ahgggrrrrrr gimmmi a gun

Edited by miti

So you tried a repair install with an XP Home SP2 that came with your PC and it asked for files? The files should be located in X:\I386 (X representing the drive letter of your CD/DVD ROM).

Try it again, and if you can successfully do a repair install, take a screenshot, or simply provide a list of all the software you have installed. I don't believe the longer boot time is directly associated with the defrag or registry cleaning. Something else is taking too long. Do you have any Services disabled?

Hi Jeremy

I made a new repair install with XP Home SP2 that came with my PC and when it asked for those files I could not find them on the CD. I did all updates for sp2 from internet and I removed previously all programs that might have caused this dam long boot time. But even after I did all updates recomanded by Microsoft site I could not still find those files required during the repair install time. !!!!!!?????

One of files is this: iswconn.ex_

One of files is this: iswconn.ex_

Are you sure that's not icwconn.ex_? That would be the Internet Connection Wizard...

As to your issue, did you nLite or otherwise modify the installation source? If not, what would happen if you did a clean install, without installing anything extra (including drivers)?

Hi guys

Finally I managed to do clean install but the problems still persists: cannot use firewire and very slow uploading of the windows components. Plus the I have to restart in order to have the sound on. The name of the computer is Reckon, motherbord foxconn and the Graphic card is ATi Radeon Xpress 200 series. I reinstalled all drivers but in vane

Edited by miti

What sort of errors do you get in your Event Log under Application and System. A good idea is to clear the logs altogether, reboot and check them again. A repair installation will fix the OS but not necessarily any problems you might be having. What do you mean by not being able to use FireWire? Slow uploading of Windows components? Please elaborate.

It might be that problem concerning automatic updates; i realized that RyanVM's latest update pack contains the fix (kb927891). You can also download the fix directly from microsoft (google kb927891) and see if that fixes your problem. Every time updates download in the background or when I voluntarily go to Windows Update, svchost.exe goes to 100% cpu usage.

What sort of errors do you get in your Event Log under Application and System. A good idea is to clear the logs altogether, reboot and check them again. A repair installation will fix the OS but not necessarily any problems you might be having. What do you mean by not being able to use FireWire? Slow uploading of Windows components? Please elaborate.

From Event Log I get these messages:

Aplication:

Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Hanging application %1, version %2, hang module %3, version %4, hang address 0x%5.

System:

PLug and PLay Spource:

Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "%1"

Service Control Manager:

Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service.

Edited by miti

Download and install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Tool. This will take care of the registry values not being unloaded properly. In regards to your other errors, can you please copy the event log itself, paste them individually into notepad, save as text files (per each error) and attach them to your next post?

Hi Jeremy :wacko:

Ok I did so but it still takes a long time to boot and worse ....when I start the computer I have no sound at all. I have to restart it and than it appears. When I turn on first the pc the audio icon it is on the task bar . The Realtek audio card works fine it says but when i open the peripheral's driver' property it says that its driver it is enable but does not work properly. I updated the audio card drivers from Realtek . Th pc came with the OS and motherbord's software. So I reformattated even the harddisk and reinstalled all drivers. The sound still does'n appear at my first start of the pc. PLus when I tried to reinstall a Pinnacle PC UB2 tuner an icon opens and says my pc has no usb2 host controller. How can I know it has or not? And why priviously I could use the same usb2 tv tuner without any problem?