Internet Just Hangs >_<

Hey,

well i just formatted a brand new WIndows 2000 (secure OS)

havn't got the Video drivers yet so its look a bit (say 16colors only) YUCK!!

but anyway usually my brother setup his modem in his room and connected and let me use LAN. bt this time i use the modem in my room with the phone line

and it still connects to the ISP same speed and all.

but sometime sit just hangs dead. and you can't do anything at all, like surf or anything. I drew a basic paint picture to show you what lights flash (externall modem) but rite now the computer is about to hang so i'll show you the pic some othe rtime.

It currentlt lasts 10mins.. som,eitmes it lasts more someitmes 1min... its just crap!!

[7 lights on external 56k]

[Left - To - Right] = [the LED red light thing shows 2 5 7, then quikly flashes 2,4,5,6,7]

back and forward and the computers in the lower right hand corner just shows 1 comp flashing insdtead of 2 meaning the internet is not active.

but it shows we are sitl;l connected?

anyone know such thing that could make it die out?

its not the option where it goes 'If internet is not active in 5mins then drop line' i'll already put that dropdown to 'Never' but iuts some other reason!!!

Is it a DSL or cable modem? If so, is it plugged in the Ehternet port or in the USB port? If it is in the USB port, you should probably install the modem driver.

Also, if it is DSL, is your wiring correct? Did you install the filters on all phone plugs EXCEPT between the DSL modem and the wall plug?

Maybe the firmware in the modem got buggy, so maybe you should flash the firmware.

It can be a lot of things... give us a little more details, like type of Internet connection (DSL, Cable, 56k, etc) make and model of modem, drivers, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a analog modem... 56K, that is what it reads in his post. I would look for drivers for it. What is the brand... alot of the older external 56K modems needed no drivers at all, but if it is a newer 3Com or something, you may need them.

I seem to be having the same problem with a client of mine.

You dial the internet, it works fine for a few minutes, then it has trouble accessing webpages and such. Its as if something is chewing up all the bandwidth. I checked their settings and found nothing out of place.

Unfortunatly i was unable to fix the problem, but the only thing i could conclude, is that there is something wrong with the ISP.

Give them a ring, and see what they have to say about the problem.

Are there any additional programs accessing the internet? Usually a antiviurs could be bothering preformance as it has to scan everything that is downloaded to the HD ...

UI -  :)

Or a firewall, and also KazAA can cause this problem. I cant use da net whilst downloading from kazaa cuz it sucks all my bandwidth. Hav u got a firewall installed?

I don't want to go too off-topic, but Linux would be just as insecure as Windows if *all* Windows users switched over to Linux. This is because hackers want attention, and will only target the most used OS - which is of course, Windows :)

That's not the *only* reason. Alot of people just dispise Bill Gates. (think back to the cream pie'ing insodent :rolleyes:).

In a very strange, round-a-bout kind of way, hackers are useful to the development to an operating system. Sure they cause havok, bring down systems, and cost companies millions of dollars, but they help Microsoft identify weak points, and even holes in their software security.

Once again off topic ... but .. meh :)