Free Large File hosting: the good and the bad...

soporific

Why is it so hard to find a free large file hoster? Oh that's right, we live in a world where if you aren't making money for someone, they don't want to know you.

Anyway, i thought i'd start a thread dedicated to knowledge about free file hosting ... i have 2 lists at the moment - the good and the bad ...

The good:

[empty]

The bad:

www.zupload.com

Why: these people are a waste of space. No reliability, no support, no nothing.

www.1010mb.com

www.sharebigfile.com

Why: does small files fine, anything big ...forget it

www.fileden.com

www.filefactory.com

www.Rapidshare.com

www.MediaMax.com

why: misleading site -- very good at 'inviting' you to upgrade to a pay service. How? By neglecting to mention that users can't download anything bigger than 10 MB unless you upgrade. They tell you this AFTER you upload a 250 MB file. Well, they picked the wrong fella --- it only took about 10 minutes but they have this COPY files function where you can move your files around in your file manager. So these guys are now hosting 96 gb worth of copies of my 241 MB file. I hope they never catch on ...

Here's a good site that allows people to share their experiences:

http://www.prospector.cz/Free-Internet-ser...-storage-space/

Another site (yet there's no way at all to give your input to the site creators, ie to tell them that their submit review function doesn't work properly)

http://www.filehostingreview.com

Edited by soporific

I've generally had good success with YouSendIt for those one-time-sends. I've transferred 800MB files with them before, although I think they might have changed their methods lately. Ever since I got my own hosting, I haven't really looked at these services.

I've generally had good success with YouSendIt for those one-time-sends. I've transferred 800MB files with them before, although I think they might have changed their methods lately. Ever since I got my own hosting, I haven't really looked at these services.

Yeah they have changed -- its now 100 MB max upload.

I am now 5 days into my Odyssey ...

Add Rapidshare to the bad list.

Yeah, I'd put rapidshare very much at the bottom. Too much delays (before downloading and between downloads), annoying weird captchas and all. Everything they can to force you to pay! pay! pay! Downloading anything there is a real PITA and takes forever.

Just discovered another bad one... live-share.com What a joke. Pulling in 0.4KB/s right now... Over 1h left on a 2MB file. Looks like they're being hosted off 56k dialup. Last time it stopped mid-transfer too.

A couple places I've had good experiences with:

mihd.net 2GB max, decent speeds, no captchas, no need to pay to download stuff in the same year like rapidshare, download accelerators supported, etc. (the flash upload is buggy though, so you're better off using the plain old http upload, which shows no progress during upload, just be patient)

megaupload.com has been OK. 500MB max. But there's people complaining there's no slots for their countries and such all the time (I've never experiences that myself, or had anyone I sent files to tell me so either). Might be worth a try.

Well, I don't know if you guys are like me but as with television, I have learned to tune out advertising. I have a longstanding distrust of advertising If it's on television, I change channels, go get a sandwich or go outside to smoke but the commercials don't get watched by me. Well, except the Geico commercials and I don't use that insurance anyway. So no gain for them with me. On webpages, it doesn't take long to mentally filter out the junk and find what I am looking for. So, again, no gain for them with me. If there is something I want, I Google it or go to specific sites to acquire it.

With the file sharing sites, I can see how it is frustrating to you and I can get frustrated the same way. Quite often, I see someone listing multiple large files for download and people wanting to download them all. Click, click, click. GBs of bandwidth used and from little to zero attention paid to the advertising.

As to people in regions where there is blockage or restriction on downloading or access, I have run into the same thing with a few sites that are overseas to me. I'm guessing it is worse for you. My sympathies.

Oh that's right, we live in a world where if you aren't making money for someone, they don't want to know you.
This is true, but I would think there would be people who would do it for a break even proposition but I don't think that is a reality. How many times have you seen a site shut down or a program stop getting support? Some only want a pat on the back and some only want a little of the financial burden spread around but neither happens.

The cheesy tactics used by some of the sites you list is immoral to say the least.

The question is, what is an easy solution? I say easy because if I were to do it, it would have to be easy.

DL

Edited by DL

• 5 weeks later...

i think rapidshare and megaupload are not problem anymore

there is softwares to download anytime u need it weather they allow or not!

i have good experience with www.4shared.com

i think it's much better

http://www.divshare.com is a free file hosting service for everyone.

No registration required!

It's easy:

1. Upload a file

2. Get your download link

3. Spread the word!

Features:

Upload unlimited files

Serve unlimited downloads

Files stay online forever!

No pop-up ads or spam

Incredibly fast, reliable servers

The above text is a direct quote from the page linked above.

• 2 months later...

media fire used to be one of the best, unlimited file size, no wait times, minimal adverts, excellent reliability but they seem to be getting worse with every upgrade

now your limit is 100MB, popups and banner ads and its rarely ever online

that's why you just buy space thru a webhost for 6-7$ a month. then you host other ppls sites on your server and charge them for the space..

If your host's TOS lets you. You're buying a service from them, and generally speaking, resale is not permitted.