DX10 on Geforce 6800

eggie

See the thing is I can't see it being my "crappy" card because it's got 512mb of ddr3 memory and that is more than most cards out atm (with the exception of the G80 series obviously).

I was having a think about this last night and was thinking that it may be because of a small 2meg cache on my hard disk. Would this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Dave

Did you read what is behind the link Jeremy posted?

Listen, it´s not your normal hardware, it´s just the not well coded game that doesn´t run smooth on A LOT OF VGA CARDS. It´s not your HDD...

If you like the game then I would wait a few months till the 8600x cards are out, sell the one you have now and for a 100 bucks you are ready to go.

I don´t know what kind of screen you are using? or on what resolucion you are playing? But most of the time 256MB is enough, I would always go for a higher GPU other then more video RAM. Just answer my questions please so we know what advice more we can give ;).

The screen I am using is a Samsung 17" TFT. It is quite an old one but I've never had a problem with it so see no reason to replace it, and I'm playing on 1024 by 768. I've tried playing at different resolutions and that hasn't changed anything, also I should point out that it is not the 256mb model I'm using its the 512 so I don't think that can be the problem

I've read the article that Jeremy posted now and gone through and all of the AA settings are turned off.

I've gone through all of my hardware and can't see a weakpoint other than the HDD.

I just want to say thanks as well for all of the help that I've got from these forums they have taught me a lot.

Thanks a lot :D

Dave

Edited by eggie

Other than faster load times. A faster hard drive isn't going to improve your frame rate.

More video RAM is becoming important as people start to crank up the AA/AF levels. The higher you have those, the more video RAM you need. At the same time, you'll also need the additional throughput for the video RAM. It's also true that having a better GPU is better for fast AA/AF processing. But the fastest GPU in the world isn't going to do you any good if it's starved for data...which it will be if you don't have enough video RAM with good throughput.

How much system RAM do you have? You're obviously running Vista so if you have anything less than 2GB with gaming then your system is paging...which will cause lower frame rates. If you have 2GB or more, then what applications/processes do you have running in the background while you're gaming?

Edit: Disregard the "how much system RAM" question...I just looked at the OP again. The question about what applications/processes are running still applies though.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

fater load times? a raptor shaves off only a couply seconds here and there, all depending on the game. most games is faster by no more than a second.

its impossbile to run stupid bf2142 on vista... between levels it gives me a memory.dll error and crashes, taskmanager shows bf2142 using over 1.6gb of ram?!

fater load times? a raptor shaves off only a couply seconds here and there, all depending on the game. most games is faster by no more than a second.
My point was that it won't help his frame rate. Shaving off a couple seconds from a ten second load time is a faster load time, is it not? :)
its impossbile to run stupid bf2142 on vista... between levels it gives me a memory.dll error and crashes, taskmanager shows bf2142 using over 1.6gb of ram?!
It specifically mentions Battlefield 2, but you could give the March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update a try.

but XP is so much nicer than vista, whats the point of vista anyway? blowing 450 to get nice graphics? blow 3 hours and install linux, beryl, 3d desktop, and a few others [i can't remember everything offhand] and you'll be able to do stuff windows can only dream of, such as the 3d cube, 4 seperate desktops...

vista isn't good enough to be a useful OS yet. at least in my opinion.