DX10 on Geforce 6800

eggie

Hello,

I've got a Geforce 6800 GS/XT and when I run dxdiag it reports that I have Direct X 10 installed.

Now I've been having a couple of problems running games recently namely R6:Las Vegas and was just wondering if this kind of thing could be a problem and what the best way to deal with it would be.

Other system specs are

AMD X2 4600+

2 gig Crucial RAM @ DDR400

Abit AV8

Seagate 120gig hard drive on PATA.

550W PSu

Can't think of any other specs you might need if there are let me know

Thanks all

Dave

Edited by eggie

well it only shows dx10 b/c you are using vista. and vista uses dx10. this doesnt mean that ur video card is dx10, it is actually dx9. so when dx10 games like crysis comes out, your card wont be able to take advantage of the dx10 performance/features.

now your problem with vegas is simply your "crappy" video card. my 7800gt plays it pretty well but i cant go on all high settings, i had to turn some things down to try to prevent lagging, but it still happened anyways. the only way to play the game lag free would be to have SLI or an 8800gts.

so what exactly are the problems that you are having? and what other games are you having problems with?

@eggie

Running dxdiag will only tell you what version of DirectX you have installed on your pc as ripken said, not the version that is natively supported by your graphics card. You can check this in the manual that came with the graphics card.

@ripken

Was playing vegas on the rig in my sig at maximum settings without any trace of lag :blink:

Ah right I see the problem now.

The only real problem I've been having with it is that it sometimes slows right down to like 2-3 fps other times it runs fine.

I was thinking it may have something to do with the hard disc because it is on PATA and only has a 2 mb cache (i know, it sucks its the next thing on my list to sort out) and everything else on my Vista rating score is in the 5's whereas that is scoring a 4.2

Thanks for explaining the whole DX10 thing, I was fairly sure that that was what it was just wanted to double check.

nitro-what resolution you play at? im at 1280x1024. many people have problems with that game... for me it was occasional lag when there were lots of guys around. by loweing the settings a rarely ever noticed lag

now your problem with vegas is simply your "crappy" video card.

A 6800 is by no means a crappy card. I game, edit videos and my 6800GS just rips through anything I throw at it.

that is true but in terms of vegas, it sucks. search google and you will find that many people have extremely low framerates with the 6800series.

No reason to call it crappy. Some people may have really good luck with a piece of hardware someone else thinks is crappy. Usually what happens now is you get one person in say a thousand, that don't like the hardware. They then freak and call it a piece of crap. Which, but no means, summarizes everyone's opinion. My brother has a 6800 and it runs a lot of things perfectly. By no means a crappy card.

People expect way too much from certain things now-a-days :rolleyes:

Edited by prx984

well i didnt say it was complete crap, lol. i said "crappy" , with quotes. to me that just means that it can be called crappy compared to today's best cards. i personally am starting to call my 7800gt "crappy" b/c it cant play games with 16xAA without lag, and i want that feature. but almost all games its fine, its just those few like oblivion...

Sheesh... do you really need 16x AA? I've rendered images with this setting with my own homemade renderer, and the difference between 16x and 8x is really negligible... and costs you a LOT of processing power.

nitro-what resolution you play at? im at 1280x1024. many people have problems with that game... for me it was occasional lag when there were lots of guys around. by loweing the settings a rarely ever noticed lag

Same as you: 1280x1024, all the rest is set at maximum.

Sheesh... do you really need 16x AA? I've rendered images with this setting with my own homemade renderer, and the difference between 16x and 8x is really negligible... and costs you a LOT of processing power.

lol, yes i do :)

well 8x at least, but these newew games hate my video card with 8x too.

nitroshift-well lets just call you lucky. at least you dont have to worry about lag in that game.

lol, yes i do :)

but i dont think is any way for me to tell if its really on 16xAA or 8xAA... it just looks amazing and thats what really matters.

:whistle::P