XP installation slowdown

MaXeLL

Hi all, I'm new on this forum :hello:

I have a strange problem with my XP installation, I'm using nLite 1.3 final, after I finished to create the iso with nlite (I use the RTM version of Windows XP to start), before burn it, I tested it on WMware 5.5 (the last official build). It copies all files without problem, the pc reboot himself then it starts on T39, this step is tooooooooo slow. It applies about 20 minutes to proceed on next step then, when it arrives on T13 it applies about 1 hour!! So i stopped It and I tried other solutions:

1) I have installed an old copy of my XP (october 2006) with WMware to verify if was this one to be bugged, but the installation worked fine.

2) I have integrated only SP2 and only tweaks and unattended options and it worked fine.

3) I didn't integrate IE7 but nothing as changed.

(NB: I don't integrate driver or remove components, only hotfixes, patch, tweaks and unattended installation)

So in conclusion there are some problems with the hotfixes I integrate with nLite. I don't use an addon pack, I integrate single hotfixes downloaded since sp2 gets out.

I attach my hotfixes list. If you want I can attach the lastsession.ini and tweaks.ini :)

Thanks to all B)

patch.txt

bel is right but we should pin-point the exact issue.

This problem occurs if there are too many hotfixes (above 130) but I don't think that's the case here?

Also could be the order. Did you sort your hotfixes by the build date once inserted?

If that doesn't fix it then compress and attach your svcpack.inf after integration.

bel is right but we should pin-point the exact issue.

This problem occurs if there are too many hotfixes (above 130) but I don't think that's the case here?

Also could be the order. Did you sort your hotfixes by the build date once inserted?

If that doesn't fix it then compress and attach your svcpack.inf after integration.

In total I have 186 hotfixes for XP (post SP2 obviously) + msxml4/6 + internet explorer 7. But I don't think the number of the hotfixes I integrate is the cause because when I realised my last stable CD (october 2006), the number of the patches was about 150.

I tried to sort my hotfixes for name, date and for what application they patch (in order: post sp2 hotfixes, msxml and internet explorer 7), but nothing.

Ok now I try to do another CD and post my svpack.inf (and lastsession.ini and tweaks.ini). ;)

OMG :o

I have just done the CD, obviously same problem... but now I have open the SVCPACK.INF and... :o I attach It and You will see.

How I could resolve this glitch? (other than edit manually the file)

/edit: I just edited the file, now I test it.

/reedit: I don't understand, same as before, but now It stopped on periphericals installation (T33). :|

SVCPACK.rar

Edited by MaXeLL

Hi guys!

I have the same problem, my instalation last too long. I noticed that this happens only when using Unnatended setup!

Anyone have solution for this?

Edited by mara-

Hi, I have the same problem. I made a new Windows XP with the lastest hotfixes, Unattended instalation and some Tweaks. The only new change compare to my old Unattended Windows is the tweak "Disable WBEN Logging". Since I installed my new Windows that was long... (about 45 minutes) when I Logon my session take a lot of time to load the desktop of Windows. Before my Pc load so quickly!!! :thumbup

Sorry for my english :unsure:

Edited by Masterwill21

MaXeLL, I told you anything above 130, maybe around 150 will cause that slowdown. Ryan even reported that to Microsoft and they said it is true.

Sereby found out that by sorting them in a certain way it helps but that you should ask him.

Anyway the conclusion is reduce number of hotfixes, throw away non-released and non-critical which you don't need.

MaXeLL, I told you anything above 130, maybe around 150 will cause that slowdown. Ryan even reported that to Microsoft and they said it is true.

Sereby found out that by sorting them in a certain way it helps but that you should ask him.

Anyway the conclusion is reduce number of hotfixes, throw away non-released and non-critical which you don't need.

Beh... 150+ hotfixes are a lot :ph34r:

After I edited the svcpack.inf removing all the wrong strings, i tried the cd, it stopped on periphericals installation, so I deleted the virtual installation and I retried. A minimum slowdown on T39 there is, but now the installation worked fine (step 13 passed in about 3 minutes, less than the last time I tried, 1 hour and more :o), I tested the new windows, and even if some tweaks don't work, the installation is stable and works well.

Hi guys!

As you sow from my last post I had same problem. Probem of slow installation is not caused by a lot of hotfixes. Something is wrong with nLite v1.3.0.4 Final! I done a several tests with my installation and here is how I done so my installation is fast again:

First I run nLite v1.3.0.4 Final and just integrate all hotfixes! Then i run nlite 1.3 RC2 and integrate my drivers, done tweaks and run unnatended setup!

My installation is perfect now!

It seems that something is wrong with unnatended setup in nlite v1.3.0.4 Final!

Try my method and post here if it worked!

Greetings!

Avien, it's the count (and order) of CAT files in the SVCPACK.INF that slows things down.

In fact there were thousands of wrong strings that were reproduced, i deleted It and now It's ok ;)