Resize partition in XP

Thauzar

Hi,

I just finished setup my friends computer with my unattended cd and realised I had not created partitions before. As I have installed all the softwares, I don't want to start over from the beginning.

I know there are solutions like Partition Magic, that can help me resize the system partition in order to create an extended partition, but I've got some trouble with it in the past and I want to stay away.

I was told about Acronis's Partition Expert.

I was told about booting with the 1st disc of a linux distro and using the partition utility there to resize the system partition then create a new extended partition. This should work without forcing me to reinstall windows.

What do you think? Which way is the safest? More efficient?

Thanks

Personally...I've found that the safest way is to use Ghost. You'll need a second hard drive (external USB or even a network share will work using BartPE). Create a Ghost image of the drive then restore it. During the restore process Ghost will allow you to change the partition size.

I'm sure other people have other methods, Ghost is just my personal preference.

Consider BootIt NG:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

I have used this countless times for Non-destructive resizing of NTFS partitions. This is an ISO that you burn to CD and then boot from. Once booted, it will ask you if you want to install, say No here. You will then see an icon for partition work. This is where you can do the resizing.

It works great and is very fast, too.

-John

I know there are solutions like Partition Magic, that can help me resize the system partition in order to create an extended partition, but I've got some trouble with it in the past and I want to stay away.

I'v used it plenty of times and never had any problem with it. You need to be patient as it sometimes sits there apparently doing nothing. If you shut down then... that's well bad.

Guest Mortov Molotov

I recommend QParted LiveCD, a nifty little GPL program. It's Linux-based software, but you don't need linux, because (du'h) all is launched from a LiveCD.

Links:

- Official homepage: click here

- Wikipedia: click here (with an interesting overview of what file systems are supported)

- LiveCD: click here

Defrag your hard disk !!!

GPartEd LiveCD HowTo:

(1) Download the .iso for the LiveCD

(2) Burn it on a CD-ROM using Nero, CD Burner XP Pro,...

(3) Restart your pc and enter your BIOS (F1, F2, Del, or whatever)

(4) Change your boot sequence to make sure that you boot from your CD-ROM

(5) After a few minutes, GParted is loaded. It's pretty straightforward, certainly if you ever used (and afterwards hated) Partition Magic, or similar software.

What I like most of this software, is that it's simple, reliable, straightforward and above all: free. Remember that you need to pay for partition magic or acronis!

Edited by Mortov Molotov