Remote desktop works until I logon from the local machine

graysky

Topic says it all. If the machine is freshly booted and I haven't logged in from the local keyboard, I can remote in via remote desktop just fine. The problem starts when I log into the machine from the local keyboard. After I do that, I can't get in from a remote desktop connection at all. When I try, the screen prompts me for my password and when I hit OK, it just sits there for about 45-60 seconds before closing with no error message. My IT group has no ideas so I am turning to you guys!

Details:

My account is a local admin. rights on both machines.

Both machines are on the same domain.

Both machines are running XP Pro SP2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I found a somewhat related post here after about 30 minutes of googling this but I'm reluctant to pay to join this website.

Thanks again!

Edited by graysky

Heh.

You're technically "logging in" when you RDC to a PC. Once you login locally you are terminating the RDC connection. To do both, I suggest using a third party freeware alternative such as UltraVNC. Many here swear by it. The great thing about it is if you're going from PC to PC, you can carry the UltraVNC Viewer executable with you on a flash drive and use it to connect wherever. :yes:

Problem with VNC (which I'm using) is that when the machine gets locked automatically after 15 minutes, VNC cannot connect: all I get a black screen!

Similar symptom to the remote desktop problem I'm having. Does that help anyone pin my problem down?

That was my thought as well but I disabled the PS options. Additionally, I can be typing from the local keyboard, walk to the other machine and try to remote it... nothing. Seems like once I log in from the local keyboard, it just won't work.

Using RDC, yes. Have you tried UltraVNC or RealVNC?

Yeah, see above:

Problem with VNC (which I'm using) is that when the machine gets locked automatically after 15 minutes, VNC cannot connect: all I get a black screen!

Similar symptom to the remote desktop problem I'm having. Does that help anyone pin my problem down?

Try connecting to the PC from the PC as a loopback connection and see if you encounter the same thing. It just strange how the keyboard can trigger the connection to terminate like that.

Loopback works (VNC) but the problem only happens when the machine is locked via the screensaver which I cannot disabled. If I leave it idle (i.e. unlocked) VNC works just fine. I cannot get in via remote desktop though which is really what I wanna do.