- icacls.exe, replaces cacls.exe

- XmlLite XML parser

- Scalable Networking Pack

- updates any RIS installs to WDS

- allows new Firewall per port authentication

- MMC 3.0

- WPA2 support

- allows install of updated MUI packs

- msconfig changes (scans for more installed apps and services)

- better IPSec filter management

- larger default store for MSMQ (1GB)

- New cluster service account events for the event log (more information, more granular)

- updated dcdiag allowing additional DNS tests

- other performance improvements specifically for SQL servers and Windows Virtualization

Cluberti, thank you for that list!

I was searching since the last few minutes for a quick at-a-glance summary of whats new (of course, hotfixes are in, but wanted to know what else...)

Edited by prathapml

What is this all about?

Quote from Susan Bradley in Windows Secrets Newsletter:

"The unexpected release has been rather confusing, especially as I'm still bleary-eyed from the time change. The release notes state that if you applied IE 7 after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1 (and who wouldn't have?), you now need to uninstall IE 7 before you install SP2.

Let me state that again: Before installing SP2 on your Windows 2003 servers, you must uninstall IE 7 if you previously installed IE 7 after Windows 2003 SP1."

Dumb question. Did anyone do a full file extract with a /X and compare the IE DLL's to see if this SP2 does something unexpected, like applying IE6 DLLs (hences the no-IE7 warning?)

(I can remember back in the days when we used to ask "why would a server need a web browser?" HAHA)

No idea...it installed just fine on my DC/file server at home without uninstalling IE7. At least everything is working fine so far.

Yeah, me too. I'm hoping it's baloney.

Yes and no. You can install SP2 on top of IE7. It'll work just fine. If you hit windows update with a Win2003 SP1 box, it'll let you update to IE7 and then apply SP2 on top no problem either.

The problem is a potential issue. Someone installs IE7, then SP2, and then for some reason uninstalls IE7. It'll roll back files to SP1 (pre-IE7 install versions). It's the old out of order uninstalls problem.

The problem is a potential issue. Someone installs IE7, then SP2, and then for some reason uninstalls IE7. It'll roll back files to SP1 (pre-IE7 install versions). It's the old out of order uninstalls problem.

Thanks, that makes sense and relieves me too. I don't see that affecting me then.