Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error

kernelcored

Okay, for some reason, I couldnt find the actual executable for word 2007, so I was unable to "run as admin."

I found the solution via Microsoft's KB:

MS KB

As discussed earlier, formatting the drive into NTFS would remedy the problem. The only downside to that is that is that I don't think you can write onto NTFS formatted disks from a mac.

I went for it anyways to make my client happy.

hope this helps others.

cheers!

erm, care to check the link to the MS KB??

• 5 months later...
Well, I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. He's using Windows Vista Ultimate and MS Office Word 2003. (I'm on XPSP2 anyway, don't have that luxury to upgrade anytime soon..)

The problem was that my friend has this one word document in his usb flash drive. After he has done some editing with his word document and try to save it, the error messages "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error" prompted into his screen. He soon discovered that the file was deleted from the flash drive whenever he try to save the file directly to flash drive.

He also tried to duplicate the scenario and he got the same problem over and over again. His word documents keep on disappearing or deleted for that 'file permission error' reason.

The only workaround that i've found for this problem was, do the editing in the harddrive first and then 'move-and-paste' the file to the thumbdrive afterward. Now, this somehow works for him.

There is no other security related apps installed in his machine beside Avast! Antivirus Home Edition.

Any ideas ?

Well, I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. He's using Windows Vista Ultimate and MS Office Word 2003. (I'm on XPSP2 anyway, don't have that luxury to upgrade anytime soon..)

The problem was that my friend has this one word document in his usb flash drive. After he has done some editing with his word document and try to save it, the error messages "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error" prompted into his screen. He soon discovered that the file was deleted from the flash drive whenever he try to save the file directly to flash drive.

He also tried to duplicate the scenario and he got the same problem over and over again. His word documents keep on disappearing or deleted for that 'file permission error' reason.

The only workaround that i've found for this problem was, do the editing in the harddrive first and then 'move-and-paste' the file to the thumbdrive afterward. Now, this somehow works for him.

There is no other security related apps installed in his machine beside Avast! Antivirus Home Edition.

Any ideas ?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I experienced the same problem. If this happens when using USB extenal hard drive, then the simple way to solve this problem is to convert your hard drive from NTSF to FAT32.

I had the same problem on both FAT and FAT32 flash drives. After much digging, I found this from Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP):

Symantec Endpoint Protection and Word

Since I could not find which release of SEP I had from the SEP GUI itself, I somehow found a list that correlates versions with releases on the Symantec web site (though I cannot find it again). In any case, MR4 is version 11.0.4014.26. I had MR2 (11.0.2020.56).

What worked for me was simply uninstalling MR2 and downloading MR4 from my institution. As it happens, my institution does NOT list either version numbers or release codes, so I had to hope that the current version was indeed MR4, which it was!

Edited by antitech