Folders Created And Issues Removing Them

Using the SVCPACK installation is really groovy, however, I'm getting a very annoying problem (well, its a problem for me).

The updates are being applied fine, however, a whole series of randomly named folders are generated and placed on my secondary disk (d:\), with the batch file method, after a restart, the folders are deleted, however, when using the SVCPACK method, these folders are not deleted after a restart.

The issue is their permissions aren't set, thus, they can't be deleted until somone applies full (or at least read/write) permissions to the folders.

This is irritating because:

A) I don't want the temporary folders to get placed on my secondary disk

and

B) The folders aren't being removed due to dud permission settings

Is it possible to fix this, besides having to return to a batch file method?

And its nigh on impossible to create a script to update the permissions and delete, because of the very randomness of the folder names.

/Q /U /N /Z and /Q:A /R:N

*edit*

Here is the full list of the hotfixes I'm installing at the SVCPACK.INF point:

[setupHotfixesToRun]

setup_wm.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N

Q323255.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q327979.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q328310.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329048.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329115.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329170.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329390.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329441.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q329834.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

q330994.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q331953.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q810243.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q810272.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q810565.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q810577.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q810833.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q811493.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q811630.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

q813951.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q814033.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q814995.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q815021.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

Q817287.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q817606.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

q818529.exe /Q:A /R:N

KB819639.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q819696.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

KB82029.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

KB82125.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

KB82155.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

KB82355.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

KB82398.EXE /Q /U /N /Z

hu1002.exe /Q:A /R:N

js56nen.exe /Q:A /R:N

msjavwu.exe /Q:A /R:N

vbs56nen.exe /Q:A /R:N

qchain.exe

Check the screenshot here. In it you can see a folder with a textstring of random alphanumeric characters.

These folders simply won't delete, and I can't find any switch that supresses the creation of them.

This is starting to really p*** me off.

post-70-1065694055_thumb.jpg

Run an update (without switches) manually, now leave the window open without pressing next and somewhere on your system you should have one of these folders.

I can do this and on pressing cancel the folder disappears. but not so on my install cd the folders do not delete. It's not a big deal for me, as I can delete it manually after but I can see where neophyte would be frustrated, not being able to delete these folders.

Neophyte, do you disable sfc? perhaps try this, disabling it to delete them and if sfc is a feature you use, reenable it afterwards.

Still not a fix though

AaronXP: Seems your not the only one that is puzzled by them.

I have asked several other people if they get them, and they do not, yet some do.

What really irritates me, is that when I used a cmd file to install the updates, the folders would generally remove themselves after a reboot, but whilst using the SVCPACK.INF method, they don't.

The only files generally left in the folders are the update folders and xpsp1htm.exe file.

If I can't figure out why this is happening, and/or how to stop it, I'll have to go back to using the .cmd installation method, which I'm not to fond of.

Or I'll just stick to leaving XP + SP1 on it.

Thank god - I have 3 27 digit folders on my D:\ for a bout 2 week - just as yours.

At MS site it says left over from installing SP1 and can be safetly deleted!!!!

Yeh right!!! My bitches wont budge... I would format it but I can move my MP3 and software to another drive as I have to many! lol

I have tried at cmd promp, safe mode, tried changing permissions. All I get is a stroppy "BING" saying I cant delete, dont have permission.

Yes I am admin... although no answer here its nice not to be alone!!!

:)

Yes, my disks are formatted as an NTFS disk.

pulpfixtion: did you try setting it so that the Administrator account had full access to the folders? Thats what I've tried and it worked (as in I could delete them afterwards).

This is super weird.