Can I use vLite to install a fresh install using the Vista upgrade DVD

squirrelman

Like the title says I am wondering if I can use vLite to have Vista install onto a freshly formatted hard drive? I just want to upgrade from XP but I don't want to actually have to upgrade, I want to format first then install it. Thanks.

Yes, you can.

Microsoft left a loophole in the Upgrade version of their product which works like this:

1. Boot to your DvD.

2. When asked for your Product Key do NOT enter it. It will ask you to verify that you're not inputting your Key. Again, tell it no.

3. Choose Custom Install.

4. Now do a clean install of Vista.

5. Once the clean install is complete and you're at your desktop for the first time run the install AGAIN from within Vista. This time, input your Product Key and choose the Upgrade install option.

This takes a while, but it works great.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, you can.

Microsoft left a loophole in the Upgrade version of their product which works like this:

1. Boot to your DvD.

2. When asked for your Product Key do NOT enter it. It will ask you to verify that you're not inputting your Key. Again, tell it no.

3. Choose Custom Install.

4. Now do a clean install of Vista.

5. Once the clean install is complete and you're at your desktop for the first time run the install AGAIN from within Vista. This time, input your Product Key and choose the Upgrade install option.

This takes a while, but it works great.

So let me get this right. I should use the original Vista upgrade DVD to install but don't put in the key. Then after that, put in the vlite-made upgrade disc?