Hotfix Speed Difference

just finished testing svcpack compared to GuiRunOnce and found svcpack to be very slow.. added 15-20 mins to setup time ..only really useful for Q824146 to stop blaster worm variants getting in before first user logs in with a broadband connection.. my favorite for speed and reliability has got to be webmedics cmd using the 3 folder method ..much much better.. the easiest to maintain aswell ..i would link to it but ive been 15 pages back and still cant find the bugger

::edit updated script here http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=...=20entry65883

Yeah, the SVCPACK method is a lot slower, but I like it because I can keep my batch file down to a minimum.

Personally, I just wish Microsoft would stop pansying around with their current methods of release/slipstream, and develop a hotfix which was truly slipstreamable like the service packs are.

heres the hotfixes.cmd.. hotfixes1 folder for the non-coloured ..hotfixes2 folder for the coloured.. and hotfixes3 for the MDAC hotfix ..unbelievably easy.. next time a hotfix is released just drop it in the right folder ..no need to rename to q######.exe either.. i know you guys have put a lot of work into using it but svcpack's absolute crap in comparison.

:)

CLS
@echo off
ECHO Installing All Pre-SP2 Hotfixes...
ECHO Please Wait...
CD "%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes1
for %%i in (*.exe) do start /wait %%i -u -f -o -z -q -m
ECHO Done.
ECHO Installing All Pre-SP2 Cumulative patches...
ECHO Please Wait...
CD "%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes2
for %%i in (*.exe) do start /wait %%i /Q:A /R:N
ECHO Done.
ECHO Installing All Pre-SP2 Extra patches...
ECHO Please Wait...
CD "%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes3
for %%i in (*.exe) do start /wait %%i /C:"dahotfix /q /n" /Q
ECHO Done.
EXIT

:rolleyes:

GuiRunOnce is slipstreamed as far as im concerned.. the only difference is a users logged in when it does its job ..if you need to do something without a user logged in, use cmdlines.txt.. svcpack is just an inf file that runs a few executables very slowly ..i wouldnt call that slipstreamed.. id call it misleading :D

my next little test is to see how this batch performs in cmdlines.txt

i have one hotfix "slipstreamed", files replaced and the .cat method.. microsofts recommended way.. still a huge difference, it takes around 1 minute to do that one hotfix, whereas in the guirunonce method it takes seconds

is the rollup released or still in beta??

Still in beta, might come out today or next wednesday.

btw, I didn't call the svcpack method on the site "slipstreaming". There's several ways svcpack.inf can be used. Even running the batch in GuiRunOnce isn't "slipstreaming" either.

In the end, its up to you what method you want to use. I'm going to be adding alternatives to the site, including the script you mentioned above :)

cheers aaron.. i know it isnt slipstreamed in the true sense of the word.. i must admit your way is easier than microsofts way and works.. its just the speed issue that got me.. i cant be twiddling my thumbs for an extra 20 mins :) ..anyone tried the 3 folder method in cmdlines.txt ???

ewww rollon the rollup (rubs hands together in an excitable fashion) :rolleyes:

i know stupid innit.. im a speed freak 100% ..not sure ill use it anyway, i ghost my c partition and can reinstall a fresh xp in 1 minute with all settings intact ..i just like trying things out and sharing my findings

Numinous I used the method you described, but I`m getting errors once I check the installation with qfecheck.

It says that several of the hotfixes must be reinstalled.

I don`t have a webserver where to upload the image but I have one to show you, if you can help me!

:) sigh :/