Hotfix Slipstreaming

GreenMachine

Did someone wake me?

Sorry, stimpee and shareef59, I'm finishing off a major update that will answer most of the outstanding issues. Please chack back tonight. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

@GreenMachine

Am I to understand, a new release of XPCREATE is imminent?? :rolleyes:

Was about to do a CD for a friend, I will wait until you update!

Keep up the awesome scripting work!!!!

Thanks in advance!

:)

@stimpee:

MDAC hotfix is now slipstreamed, and must be placed in it's own directory, which is named ... MDAC.

822603 can be run with other Type I hotfixes, though VPC will report it "not installed".

You should get an ISO (not IMG) file. Let me know if the problem still exists.

You do not need both the MDAC update and the MDAC_TYPE new version (2.8 - does not need a hotfix).

You can now choose the source directory, CD or HDD.

About what you are doing ... It will be interesting to see the combination of slipstreaming the hotfixes, and cutting down whole install. I would guess you are the first to use XPCREATE in conjunction with JDeboeck's scripts. You tell us ... One thing I will point out, that small distribution size was not a design consideration. The hotfixes, though slipstreamed, are still included in their "native" form. This will not effect the final installation size, but it will effect the distribution size. if you require even "lighter" slipstreaming, RaveRod (God rest his soul ... ) wrote up a nice Slipstreaming Guide. It is here somewhere.

@shareef59:

I think you could, fairly easily, package your IE install with IExpress into a silent, single file application. Do it once, and from then on install easily and simply, whenever, wherever. Put it in HFTYPE0, so it will install for all users (default user - propagated to new users).

The download links should now be OK. If not, I messed up ...

@GM

Once again, a awesome piece of work! Congrats! Love the new green background!

Just a quick question. I noticed that a folder was created "DOTNETFX" in the main dir, although the actual "dotnetfx.exe" is placed in "HFMSX". I was wondering why or did I miss something?

Other thing being, the iexpress IE6 package. What switches were to be used for the packaging, so as it might be placed in "HFTYPEO" ?

Also, a little confused on the MSJava New/Old thing. Can you be a little more specific on the file names concerned. I think I know what you mean, but better to be sure :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance!!!! :)

@shareef59:

Bug # 1 - the DOTNETFX directory is not used ... harmless, but corrected.

You should not need to repack any of the hotfixes or updates: XPCREATE will do that for all except DirectX9. DX9 OEM Preinstallation Kit switchless installer is linked from the Current Hotfixes page. For other applications that you repackage yourself using IExpress, the actual switches depend on the application you are installing: IExpress can be instructed to run silentely and launch the command line you specify. I have a couple of examples, but they are "down" for the moment, as I am restructuring the site. What are you planning on repackaging?

MSJava: You cannot install the newer version of MSJava without previously installing MSJava. By combining the older and newer MSJava installers, a package is created that will install MSJava in one easy step, on all Windows PCs. (Thanks again, baliktad). The new version is named: MSJAVAWU.EXE. The old version is named: MSJAVX86.EXE. This is a script that performs the method described HERE

I like the Green as well! Might throw a little red in there, just for the season!

Good luck!

@GreenMachine

I was trying to repackage (iexpress) for silent/unattended install:

1) WinZIP 8.1 SR1 (registered version).

2) Diskeeper 8.0 Professional.

3) IE6 (IEAK customised version)

Which folder would the above repackaged programs (once done) be placed? All of them in "HFTYPE0"?

Where would the new "MSJAVAWU.EXE" be placed? In the JAVANEW I presume, and leave the JAVAOLD empty?

Thanks a million for all your help!

Can you please, also explain a little more in detail, regarding the INF file editing. Thanks!

Would it be possible to have some sort of version number associated with the XPCREATE zip file, so that it would make it clear whether a older version is being used or the latest. Thanks!

I also noticed, that once I do "MakeDir", it still makes the "DOTNETFIX" folder, but not the "ROMSX" folder! Or is it me, just being a "cheese brain" !!! :)

You should not need to repack any of the hotfixes or updates: XPCREATE will do that for all except DirectX9. DX9 OEM Preinstallation Kit switchless installer is linked from the Current Hotfixes page.

Bonjour MachineVerte :)

Why DirectX9 cannot be repacked ? The job you did for WMP is great :rolleyes:

Is the DX9 OPX for all languages ? If not, how to repack it ?

Michel.

In the words of Pete Townsend ... it's a legal mater.

The only version of DX9 that can be run silently is the OPK version, which is linked to on the MSFN guide. Though I am not sure, I have the impression that the OPK versions ARE localized: you need a different version for Belgium than for Greece.

From what I understand, MS has removed the silent option to force end-users to accept the EULA (End Users License Agreement). Concievably, one could quite easily modify the setup program included with with the DX redistributable package, and repackage the files into a silent, switchless installation. Unfortunatly, I am under the impression that MS "frowns upon" this type of modification. For this reason, I do not distribute a solution.

I do not know exactly where the DX9 OPK comes from, but there must be one for each language (if I am correct in that it is localized). Perhaps you could create your own with the DX9 SDK, link to on the MSFN front page, half way down on the left.

call of duty

need for speed underground

I believe

also oem's site shoudl have something about dx 9 multilingual opk

I'm checking right now

Volume in drive J is NFSUDISK1

Directory of J:\DirectX

10/30/2003  10:38 PM    <DIR>          .
10/30/2003  10:38 PM    <DIR>          ..
10/23/2003  07:29 PM           695,962 BDA.cab
10/23/2003  07:29 PM         1,149,019 BDANT.cab
10/23/2003  07:29 PM           968,156 BDAXP.cab
10/23/2003  07:29 PM            60,416 DSETUP.dll
10/23/2003  07:29 PM        15,443,578 DirectX.cab
10/23/2003  07:29 PM         1,104,358 ManagedDX.CAB
10/23/2003  07:29 PM         1,978,368 dsetup32.dll
10/23/2003  07:29 PM        13,160,291 dxnt.cab
10/23/2003  07:29 PM           467,456 dxsetup.exe
10/23/2003  07:29 PM         1,127,936 mdxredist.msi
             10 File(s)     36,155,540 bytes
              2 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

this is nfs underground's

here's quote from oem site

Microsoft DirectX Version 9.0b OPK is now available for download

Microsoft has released the DirectX 9.0b OPK Supplement as an optional supplement to the OPK for the Software listed below.

Product Names and Versions: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional, Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition and Microsoft® Windows® 98 Second Edition.

Available Languages of this Supplement: English, Portuguese Brazilian, Chinese - Simplified, Chinese - Traditional, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.

The OPK version is a Multi-lingual version that can be installed on any of the languages above without any switches or intervention.

another:
DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not require an internet connection during installation.
I guess they're talking about opk? Edited by XtremeMaC