Hotfix Slipstreaming

GreenMachine

Great Job :)

I change MAKECD.CMD to give the following possibilities (see attached files) :

• Save & restore all parameters in file MakeCD.ini
  • Possibility to get the Windows CD from a disk folder

Michel

SOLVED=> ps : Environment variables in MakeCD.ini are not always viewed in MAKECD.CMD : could someone solve that ? (I've no time to do it before this afternoon) <=SOLVED

==> {18:33 CET}

• SOLVED=> Context environment variables could be set global with WINSET in ENVVARS.EXE from the Win95 CD (i.e. MakeCD.ini will be generated with WINSET instead of SET). <=SOLVED
  • Furthermore, I added TEE which will also display the log (when asked) to the MS-DOS console/windows (the two ">" in MENU.CMD are to be replaced with "| TEE").
  • These 2 mods will be posted this evening after testing.

==> {2003/11/20 09:40 CET}

==> {2003/11/20 09:40 CET} File MAKECD.CMD modified, MENUCD.CMD & TEE.EXE added.

MAKECD.zip

Edited by mdes

As techtype suggests, once we could see past the end of our noses, we could see the problem. It was in the CAB file creation. Thanks Numinous for pointing me to the docs. Not "light" reading, but I think I got it. It took two major edits (2147483648 to 250000000, and /B to /B /O-E) and everything is OK. I timed the file copy part of setup, and the repacked cabs timed in at 4 Minutes 10 Seconds, where the non repacked cabs completed in 4 Minute 0 Seconds. Since the repacked cab was about 3% smaller, I decided not to pursue further optimization.

In searching for documentation for cabinet files, I came across THIS DOCUMENT. It is an earlier version of the MakeCab document that is included in the CabSDK. The original version of MakeCab was "Diamond", and the name still carries over: the configuration file is still refered to as the DDF, Diamond Directive File. The documents themselves are nearly identical, with the exception of the mention of one file; DDUMP.EXE. This is a "Tool to dump internal format of a Diamond cabinet file". Has anybody ever seen this file, or used the original Diamond Cabinet Maker? I believe it came out in 1996. Any info or links are appreciated.

In terms of hotfixes, I have found that the USB update, KB822603, which I had been running in RunOnceEx, can also be slipstreamed with the other type I hotfixes. Thus the only hotifxes / updates that are required to pass the "Windows Update = 0" test that cannot (should not?) be run from SVCPACK are 817778, and the MSI installers (DotNet, Journal Viewer, Windows Messenger). And I know there are some of you out there, DaveXP included, that manage to install 817778 from SVCPACK.INF. My next quest will be to track this down, and make it work for me. It is the Advanced Network Package, so I will start by looking in the Networking and Components sections of WINNT.SIF. If any one has any ideas on that, speak up.

@mdes: I will look at your modifications, and possibly include them. I'm glad that you got into the code to make it work for you. (T'as bien fait. Si t'as des questions, PM moi.)

@Tbone2: Here we go again ... This should work. If you try it and have good results, please post here. If the results are NOT good, please post HERE

MAKECD.CMD

GreenMachine

Well done SIR :) on the dos copy less then 9 minutes

still installing...will edit this as the install completes.

next big time area will be the 13 minute mark.

EDIT

It took 5 and 1/2 minutes for 13 minute mark

still installing

Total time to install 42:30...this is a great improvement on time windows update is 0 updates :rolleyes:

I hadn't seen your edit, so I thought you went over to "that other site" to post the results ... Glad to see it works better, but I am still surprised it is 5 minutes slower than techtype tool. Did you use the same set of hotfixes/updates? And nine minutes seems a little funky as well: I do it in 4, and my CPU and CD are slower, and I have less RAM. How fast was techtypes CD in the textbased part? Similar? What would really be interesting is an event log export from both setups ...

Anyway, I think that may be as far as I take that bug for now. Note that one could always build the CD with the N option, and all this would become a mute point, but I do like the integrity added with updating the cabs themselves, even if the older file versions should never be used.

Thanks again to the debuging and testing department!

I will get them logs to ya..asap but I go back to work tonight so limit time for testing.

I did notice that KB817778 and KB822603 are install at different time then techtype's...(installed with the msi files) where as they are installed as type 1 hotfixes with techtype's

Also may have made a mistake on the type of system this is a 1.1 AMD with 256 ddr ram and its the slow ram at best. the CD-rom is a little flakey so i say that this new makecd is just as fast as techtype's way.

Now if I install your way on my main system bet it will be less then 35 minutes from boot to final boot...

BTW got a kick out of the link you put for if this didn't work,(Microsoft .com) that was funny.

Hi Guys

First of all, let me say what a wonderful forum this is. Such a wealth of information for a non-teckie newbie as myself. Each and everyone concerned with the CD Creator project deserves medals. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have a, perhaps lame, question. :)

1) After doing the "Makedirs", in which folders do I place the following programes, which are called from a cmd file (as follows):

CLS

@echo off

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 Full

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\IE6sp1\ie6setup.exe /Q:A /R:N

ECHO.

ECHO Installing WinRAR 3.20

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\applications\winrar\wrar320.exe /s

ECHO.

ECHO Installing MSN Messenger 6.1

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\msn\MsnMsgs.msi /QB

ECHO.

ECHO Installing DirectX 9.0b

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\DirectX9b\dxsetup.exe /opk

ECHO.

ECHO Installing TweakUI 2.10 Powertoy

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\powertoys\TweakUI.msi /qb

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Power Calculator Powertoy

ECHO Please wait.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\powertoys\PowerCalcPowertoySetup.exe /s /v/qn

ECHO.

PAUSE

EXIT

Again, I wanted to know where the actual above program (dir/files) and the cmd (mainbatch.cmd) are placed in the various folders created.

Thank you in advance for any help!

@shareef59: You will need to create the directories and sub-directories that you use in the example, i.e. FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\IE6sp1, FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\applications\winrar, FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\msn, FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\DirectX9b, FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\powertoys, and place your install files in the corresponding directories. Note that everything inside of FILESCD will be copied to the root of the CD, preserving the directory structure.

You are including MSI files. These are recommended by MS NOT to be run during setup itself, rather by the installed system either through RunOnce or RunOnceEx. You can place your CMD file(s) in the ROEXE directory, in which case a RunOnceEx entry will be created, and the programs will run during the first reboot. Alternativly, you can place the MAINBATCH.CMD file in the $OEM$\$$ directory, and include the call in the WINNT.SIF file in the GuiRunOnce section:

[GuiRunOnce]
   Command0=MAINBATCH.CMD

Hope that gets you on your way.

@Tbone2: Sorry for the delay answering your post ... the two hotfixes you mention are indeed treated as Type I hotfixes, but are run from the RunOnceEx point, i.e. after reboot, as opposed to the SVCPACK point, at the T-13 mark. I have not succeeded to run 817778 from SVCPACK.INF, though others have. The 822603 USB update had been running from RunOnceEx, but recent test show that it can be included with the rest of the Type I hotfixes. Note that this update will normally show as uninstalled in Windows Update inside of Virtual PC, due to VPCs USB handling.

• 2 weeks later...

@GreenMachine

Thanks for your previous advise, has been very helpful. Other question being, if IE6sp1 was created using IEAK, would that need to be repackaged (iexpress) and then placed in ROEXE folder? Little clarification and advise on this matter would be much appreciated!

If this has been answered previously, I apologize for asking!

Thanks in advance.

:)

@shareef59:

I do not have a mechanism for installing a package of that type: where there are files that are used by the install, but not executed.

You have a few options. The simplest would be to just use the IE branding file: the latest IE versions (less the latest update/patch) are already included in SP1.

Alternativly, repackage as you suggest, where you could either run from RunOnceEx (ROEXE) or SVCPACK.INF (HFTYPE0). HFTYPE0 would be prefered, as you can then run the updates after.

Do you have a particular reason to want to run IE install, or were you unaware of the fact that it was already up to date?

@GreenMachine

Thank you much for your advice and suggestions. The reason I wanted to install IE Install that way (ie IEAK version) was more for cosmetic reasons, rather than anything else. I will try out your methods and see which suits me best.

On another matter, your page which give the details about your script etc, contains a link to "Current Hotfixes and Updates". It seems some of the d/l links are not available any more and I was wondering if that was on purpose or whether there were reasons behind it.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I consider myself to be techinally challenged and thus a "newbie" on these matters.

Thanks again for your help and your wonderful script, along with the massive contribution you make to the MSFN Forums.

:rolleyes:

GreenMachine: great script! I have been experimenting with this to make my slipstreamed ISOs but have a couple of questions...

I notice that the MDAC update (823718) looks like a type II update but according to AaronXP's Hotfixes thread, its a little different. Do I put this is in HFTYPE2? If not, where do I put it? In ROHF1 (run once I assume) I have 817778 and 822603 only, and in HFTYPE0 I have repackaged SunJava, DX9 and MDAC_TYP.

When I run the script it never creates the IMG file (I uncommented the REM to no effect) so I'm using BCD 1.11 to make the bootable image. No problem, but maybe i'm missing something obvious! :newbie:

Also, I've been using your script in conjunction with jdeboeck's minimal install scripts and so I had to comment out the copy from XP CD bit because the i386 folder was already cut down to size. Placing the i386 folder in the CDROOT folder did the trick. However, I just noticed mdes's modified version which looks like it gives you the option of choosing where to take the i386 files from... I'll give that a try. Any plans to roll that into the script?

I'm just wondering also and would appreciate the views of the regulars here on what I'm doing, i.e. stripping down XP then rolling in the hotfixes.

As for MSFN: I've been lurking for a while a then registered just so I could use the search function but I have a little bit more confidence (and knowledge) so that I'm not too intimidated to post! :)