Hotfix Slipstreaming

GreenMachine

Here is my version of the RoyalBox HotFix SlipStreaming Method.

This is similar to the script posted by RoyalBox, both being offsprings of his original work posted here.

The XP distribution is prepared for installation by slipstreaming the latest service pack, slipstreaming hotfixes that are slipstreamable, and programming other installation processes and hotfixes to be executed during system installation.

The advantage to the hotfix slipstreaming as done using this method is that (almost) all versions of the files on the installations CD will be coherent and up to date, and there will be minimal need to re-apply a hot fix after windows asks you to insert the installation CD at a post setup point. I find this the most stable method, as the maximum of files have been updated to the latest versions, the only exception being the type 2 hotfixes that cannot be slipstreamed. (There are fewer type 2 hotfixes, and they are often more of an additional component than a hotfix). Files inside of cabinet archives are updated, and the master file list, DOSNET.INF, is also updated according to hotfix updates.

There is debate about how to handle type 2 hotfixes. I have decided not to attempt to slipstream the contents of these hotfixes. The code, however, is still in place, but "deactivated". I do program these hotfixes to be run, along with type 1 hotfixes, during the installation process.

The installation of hotfixes requires quite a bit of time, and you will find your installation "stalled" at the T-13 point for up to 30 minutes. This is due to each hotfix going through a long search for installed devices and software. (Windows update is quicker, as it does this only once per session, I think ...). I install the hotfixes in unattended mode, as opposed to quiet mode, so that you will notice some life in the installation at this point.

As I was developing and testing the process, it got a little out of hand, and I kept adding bits to the scripts. So now I have it rip the XP CD, slipstream, and burn the new CD. I have decided to include the whole script here ... as I am too lazy to only include the actual hotfix slipstreaming. The slipstreaming part is the majority of the script.

The basic operation is:

- Place all the hotfixes in predetermined directories.

- Place custom files in predetermined directories.

- Put your XP CD in the CD Drive

- Put a blank CD in a second CD burner (optional, or switch in the middle if only 1 drive)

- GO

Behind the scenes:

1) Initialize the environment

2) Copy CD contents to HDD

3) Slipstream Service pack

4) Slipstream Type 1 Hotfixes

5) Create the SVCPACK.INF installer file, and update corresponding DOSNET.INF file.

6) Create the CD structures, adding all additional and custom files

7) Create an ISO CD image

8) Burn the image to CD

I have written this to suit my needs and style. This may not be yours ... but the script is not too big, and I have tried to keep it simple and modular. If it does not work as you like it, you should be able to modify it with out too many headaches.

I have tested the burn process, but not extensively. Beware.

If you have constructive criticism, or interesting questions, I'm willing to listen and talk. If you think your method is better, it probably is. I have enough trouble understanding my own code, let alone someone else's ... and this does just what I need at the moment.

I know this post should in all rights be included in one of RoyalBox's two THREADS on the subject, but I have decided to make a new thread so I can be first! No, I have decided to make a new thread so that I can post the script as part of this message, and update it from there as opposed to using a download site. Hope that's alright by all. The latest version of this script will always be listed below. For the moment, the readme file is a little sparse.

To try it:

HERE

@RoyalBox: Thanks for your help and ideas.

@AaronXP: Fell free to use this however you see fit. I post it like this so I do not have to host it somewhere. I have not included any binaries, as software distibution is not my thing. However, if you want to package it with the binaries, that would be helpful. If not, there are links for all files needed. Here it will at least be easy to find.

Nice work greenmachine! You've put a lot of effort and research into sorting out problems with various hotfixes. I wish microsoft could have had some sort of standard for all it's hotfixes so there wouldn't be any need for the workarounds but that's probably asking too much. Anyway, thanks for all the help you gave me with my version. I'm going to 'retire' it now to save any confusion and also, I'm at the limit of my batch scriting ability now anyway!

Thanks again,

Royalbox.

I agree: the instructions are lame.

Put your original XP in the CD drive, and the latest service pack (SP1) in the SPACKS directory. I have not tested a pre-slipstreamed CD. It should work ... but I prefer to start from the begining, with the original XP CD for each CD creation.

Hopefully, difficulties posted here will be clarified in the updated README.TXT file. I tried to keep it simple: put the CD in your CD drive, HotFixes in HFTYPE1 (blue and white icons) or HFTYPE2 (setup style icons), and service pack in SPACKS.

Now that you mention it ... I have made some changes: create CMDLINES.TXT on the fly, generate RunOnceEx registry entries (Windows Update Method), and added more "hooks" where you may place your own files. Most importantly, I have written some documentation, which you will find HERE, along with the latest script.

@beppemito: You can create any install scripts you like, just as before. Run the script to slipstream the HotFixes, and then modify the resulting CDROOT, which you can burn to an ISO or CD when finished.

You caught me ...

Yes, it was a type II. I had problems with it before, so I unpacked it and found that it contained a type I fix, wrapped with a stop/start service command. I use the extracted type I version. The type II version will also work fine, with the same limitations of the other type II.