Problem with MSPaint

I am having an annoying problem with Paint. I can't save as anything else other than the Bitmap types (Monochromatic, 16-colour 256-colour, and 24-bit). I want to be able to save as PNG, GIF, JPEG, etc. How can I fix this?

Ambassador, what version of Windows are you using?

Install MDGx's unofficial MSPaint Graphics filters pack first from his web site:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/GRPHFLTS.EXE

(this pack should install the PNG, GIF, JPEG and other filters. you can NOT open nor save PNG image files with Win9x Paint unless you are using WinXP which the XP edition of MSPaint allows opening and saving PNG files)

then run MS Paint again with the installed graphics filters. Be sure your video card is using at least 16bit High Color mode (65536 colors) or better so make changes to your video card settings (if necessary) before running Paint.

Edited by erpdude8

and I HIGHLY recommend using IrFanView (latest version is 3.99) to open, edit and create image files.

even with the PNG graphics filter installed, PNG image files will NEVER open in MSPaint unless it's the Win2000, XP, 2003 or the Vista release of MSPaint. PNG files DO, on the other hand, open (or viewed) in Internet Explorer.

AND, chuckbourdeau & Ambassador, IrFanView is freeware (for home and educational use)

most of the graphics filter files from MDGx's graphics filters pack are taken from MS Office/MS Works

Edited by erpdude8