Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

jetman

Oh, yes thanks. I wasn't carefull when extracted the archive ... And I thought it was in the root folder ... sorry. But at "4) Open the System Rescue ISO and copy vmlinuz1 and vmlinuz.igz to boot\sysdresccd\. Copy sysrescd.dat to sysresccd\. Copy memtest86 to boot\isolinux\." in my sysrescuecd-x86-1.2.1.iso I have in NTPASSWD folder the files "initrd.cgz"; "vmlinuz." and scsi.cgz" not vmlinuz1 and vmlinuz.igz. The only *.igz file is INITRAM.IGZ .

Unless jetman's crystal ball (unlike mine ;)) works very, very well, I wonder how he could, in 2007, have foreseen that on May 12th, 2009 :unsure::

http://www.sysresccd.org/news/2009/05/12/s...d-120-released/

a new version would have been released, that it would have been a "major release" and that probably the booting files have been changed names....:whistle:

From here:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-...your_own_kernel

it seems like the new files are vmlinuz and initram.gz

label mykernel
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initram.igz
label mykernelfr
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initram.igz setkmap=fr

The files in NTPASSWD, I guess are related to NTPASSWD aka chntpw aka Offline NT Password Editor :rolleyes: :

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

jaclaz

Oh, thanks again. I will try eventually to finish this multiboot dvd. And about jetman's crystall ball, :thumbup , I thought he updated the tutorial since then. And the last question that I need answered to finish this dvd: How I insert other iso's that are not in tutorial , in example Windows XP, Acronis True Image, WinPE, Arch linux, how I make a menu and when I select an option (category) to appear another menu and when I select the "program" to start and boot that kernel.

At windows, it should work with ntdr, at linux it should be simple but how about the others like Acronis ?

Thanks again very much and goodbye! :hello:

How I insert other iso's that are not in tutorial , in example Windows XP, Acronis True Image, WinPE, Arch linux, how I make a menu and when I select an option (category) to appear another menu and when I select the "program" to start and boot that kernel.

At windows, it should work with ntdr, at linux it should be simple but how about the others like Acronis ?

Windows and PE 1.x WON'T work unless you use a RAMDISK approach (from .iso) PE 1.x will work with "usual" "\I386" structure, Windows install will work as well from "\I386", so i fyou have both you will need to rename one of the two and hexedit correspondingly files, there is no way if not "Hard disk emulation" to run "Full XP" from CD-ROM (not usable in a mult-boot, AFAIK):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3890

For all the rest you may want to search around, and test the newish Syslinux ISO mapping features.

Start from grub4dos:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=66

and see if what works with it:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5041

also works with Syslinux:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8258

in any case in the forum there are grub4dos examples and "translations" from grub4dos to Syslinux syntax, so that you can use them the other way round.

jaclaz

Hi all

i want to create a multiboot dvd with UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, XUBUNTU and some other distro and so i read all the tutorials and tried to do it by myself.

I decided to start with only ubuntu and see if i can do it, and later add all the other distro.

I create these directories

LINUX

|

|-------boot

| |-----isolinux

| |-----ubuntu (inside initrd.gz e vmlinuz)

|

|--------ubuntu (with all the distro contents)

Here myisolinux.cfg

DEFAULT menu.c32

TIMEOUT 0

PROMPT 0

menu title Welcome to GNU/Linux!

label local

menu label Boot from ^hard drive

kernel chain.c32

append hd0

label ubuntu-live-install

menu label ^Install Ubuntu

kernel /boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz

append file=/cdrom/ubuntu/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/boot/ubuntu/initrd.gz quiet splash --

I also modified casper inside scripts di initrd (and copiet into boot/ubuntu e ubuntu/casper) changing $Path/casper, and $Directory/casper to $Path/ubuntu/casper and so on. can't find $mountpoint and change /.disk/casper to /ubuntu/.disk/casper

When i select ubuntu i got the logo of ubuntu and seems to load but then it says:

/init: /scripts/casper: line 1: #/bin/sh: not found ... itried to change it to #1/ubuntu/bin/sh

Anyone can help me? I really need to create this DVD.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i did every thing "step by step " reading every lil word in there and just got nothing to work at all , not the rescue disk , small linux or anything ,, i think you need to update your post , but thanks

i think i'll never be able to creat a real nice and professional submenu . :(

i did every thing "step by step " reading every lil word in there and just got nothing to work at all , not the rescue disk , small linux or anything ,, i think you need to update your post , but thanks

I am going to revisit this project shortly. Watch this space.... :ph34r:

I am going to revisit this project shortly. Watch this space.... :ph34r:

plz do , and lemme know whatcha gonna come out with , cuz i do have many questions about this also !

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

i want to create a multiboot dvd with UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, XUBUNTU and some other distro and so i read all the tutorials and tried to do it by myself.

I decided to start with only ubuntu and see if i can do it, and later add all the other distro.

I create these directories

LINUX

|

|-------boot

| |-----isolinux

| |-----ubuntu (inside initrd.gz e vmlinuz)

|

|--------ubuntu (with all the distro contents)

Here myisolinux.cfg

DEFAULT menu.c32

TIMEOUT 0

PROMPT 0

menu title Welcome to GNU/Linux!

label local

menu label Boot from ^hard drive

kernel chain.c32

append hd0

label ubuntu-live-install

menu label ^Install Ubuntu

kernel /boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz

append file=/cdrom/ubuntu/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/boot/ubuntu/initrd.gz quiet splash --

I also modified casper inside scripts di initrd (and copiet into boot/ubuntu e ubuntu/casper) changing $Path/casper, and $Directory/casper to $Path/ubuntu/casper and so on. can't find $mountpoint and change /.disk/casper to /ubuntu/.disk/casper

When i select ubuntu i got the logo of ubuntu and seems to load but then it says:

/init: /scripts/casper: line 1: #/bin/sh: not found ... itried to change it to #1/ubuntu/bin/sh

Anyone can help me? I really need to create this DVD.

Thank you

Just a thought...

If you have a fast internet connection why don't you just do a netinstall and download the desktop you want instead of filling your disk with three squashfs images containing similar files.

<snip>

Just a thought...

If you have a fast internet connection why don't you just do a netinstall and download the desktop you want instead of filling your disk with three squashfs images containing similar files.

Happy holidays ! Long time, no post ! :hello: Unfortunately, people who post messages like the one you commented don't seem to do much in the way of research or experimentation. Frankly, other than for demo purposes, I can't see the reason for having three Ubuntus on the same disc. Actually, Jotnar has a great contribution to the thread, explaining how to customize various (popular) Linux live CDs (incl the Ubuntus) so that they can be part of a SuperDisc.

Having said that, I have a top-to-bottom revision of primary project/initial message underway, to be completed this month. I have formed a much different take on things in the intervening (nearly) three years, since starting this exercise. And part of the revised project will include Kubuntu. The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Hope this finds you well. TTYL....Jet

Very long time... happy new year.

I can't see the point either, just seams like a waste disk of space if you ask me. It's been a while since I used Ubuntu but I'm sure there's meta-packages to add/remove the various DE's:

# apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I spend most of my time playing with Linux these days (I'll be a SysAdmin one day :)) but I'm still making multi-boot disks now and again... I'm just using my USB stick more now.

I'm kinda hooked on grub4dos at the moment, it's not as attractive as syslinux but what it lacks in aesthetic appeal it makes up for in features. I just wish they'd add more of the features from Super Grub Disk (USB Shift etc).

The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Is this a remastered Kubuntu livecd?

<snip>

I spend most of my time playing with Linux these days (I'll be a SysAdmin one day :)) but I'm still making multi-boot disks now and again... I'm just using my USB stick more now.

Same here, although in the last couple of weeks I've had a hard time holding onto my collection of thumb drives ! :} Recently, I did find a new site for live CDs: Turnkey Linux. Turnkey Linux hosts a series of professionally-configured appliance discs based Ubuntu 8.04. They have a LAMP disc, a Samba disc, a Drupal disc, and a Joomla! disc to name a few. You can sample their works in live CD form, then install them to a hdrive to actually use them in real-world projects. Impressive stuf.

I'm kinda hooked on grub4dos at the moment, it's not as attractive as syslinux but what it lacks in aesthetic appeal it makes up for in features. I just wish they'd add more of the features from Super Grub Disk (USB Shift etc).

There's a post a couple pages back, where someone explains how to use SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX and GRUB together. There are only a couple of things from G4D that I really need and a hybrid of two works for me.

The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Is this a remastered Kubuntu livecd?

Nope, it's a stock Kubuntu disc, that's what make it worth celebrating (and incorporating in a new SuperDisc.) Later....Jet

• 2 months later...

How did you boot Freenas from isolinux? What parameters did you have in the config, and did you have to do anything more to get it working?

Sorry, but that was three years ago and that .cfg file has long passed into history. I can suggest something else which mite work as well, if not better.

I abandoned FreeNAS, bec it didn't perform well and couldn't be integrated w/ Windows-based projects, in spite of the fact I'd built (by hand) and operated a FreeBSD/Samba file server/access point for years. (And I really like FreeBSD !) Anyway, I've since found something else which will make it into the next edition of the public SuperDisc [RSN ! :whistle: ] called TurnkeyLinux. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04 and is being actively developed and supported by a very professional Linux team. TurnkeyLinux has several interesting live CDs (mostly LAMP-based web servers), including the Samba live CD. Check out their website ASAP.

Moreover, Jotnar has an excellent post describing how to integrate various Linuxen (incl Ubuntu) into a generic SuperDisc.

HTH....Jet

How did you boot Freenas from isolinux? What parameters did you have in the config, and did you have to do anything more to get it working?

Sorry, but that was three years ago and that .cfg file has long passed into history. I can suggest something else which mite work as well, if not better.

I abandoned FreeNAS, bec it didn't perform well and couldn't be integrated w/ Windows-based projects, in spite of the fact I'd built (by hand) and operated a FreeBSD/Samba file server/access point for years. (And I really like FreeBSD !) Anyway, I've since found something else which will make it into the next edition of the public SuperDisc [RSN ! :whistle: ] called TurnkeyLinux. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04 and is being actively developed and supported by a very professional Linux team. TurnkeyLinux has several interesting live CDs (mostly LAMP-based web servers), including the Samba live CD. Check out their website ASAP.

Moreover, Jotnar has an excellent post describing how to integrate various Linuxen (incl Ubuntu) into a generic SuperDisc.

HTH....Jet

that was boring :( TurnkeyLinux actually seemed very fine, but I just wanted FreeNAS since it has software raid and some other cool features :/ You don't remember it at all?:(