Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

jetman

Thanks jet, didn't mean to be rude or out of line and hide behind the beginner status,

I did read the first 6 pages of the thred, actually i read the first page at least twice and

I also built the dvd and tested it in vmware(before I posted the first question), it worked fine

except some problems with zen, anyway I also tried inserting BartPE by myself (based on your

tip ) but I couldn't get it to run, BartPE entry apeared in the menu but when I selected it nothing

happened. That being said I guess I'll try again and post a description of the process, maybe you

can help troubleshoot.

Again sorry for being out of line.

Back again, my bad for overlooking the link you provided for creating a multiboot dvd

using diffrent xps, but I do belive you integrated BartPE into your dvd before that probably

using a diffrent method, so here's what i've tried:

Judging by the KERNEL statement in your first post regarding BartPE/XP I assumed you were

not using the standard directory structure described at the begining of this thread so I placed

I386 and Programs folders from Bart in the root folder of the Super-Disc, I also placed SETUPLDR.BIN

in the root folder resulting in the following directory structure:

C:\Super-Disc\
boot\
isolinux\
dsl\
sysresccd\
sysresccd\
dsl\
I386\
Programs\
SETUPLDR.BIN

*I didn't edit anything in SETUPLDR.BIN since I386\ was present in the root directory with the default name

and added this to ISOLINUX.CFG

LABEL bartpe
MENU LABEL ^BartPE/WinPE
MENU DEFAULT
KERNEL /SETUPLDR.BIN

the iso image boots fine in VMW but when I select BartPE it goes to a black screen and a blinking

cursor and it stays there

I don't know if this is a completley wrong method because there's something I don't undrestand, if so

can you give me a guideline? if the method is ok can you help trubleshoot any steps I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, midz

<snip>

*I didn't edit anything in SETUPLDR.BIN since I386\ was present in the root directory with the default name

and added this to ISOLINUX.CFG

LABEL bartpe
MENU LABEL ^BartPE/WinPE
MENU DEFAULT
KERNEL /SETUPLDR.BIN

the iso image boots fine in VMW but when I select BartPE it goes to a black screen and a blinking

cursor and it stays there

I don't know if this is a completley wrong method because there's something I don't undrestand, if so

can you give me a guideline? if the method is ok can you help trubleshoot any steps I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, midz

My 1st guess is SETUPLDR.BIN. In my travels to this point, I've never been able to boot XP or BartPE using SETUPLDR.BIN. Tried SETUPLDR.BIN before I saw the lite w/ ISOLINUX+VESAMENU, but no joy whatsoever. When I gen a BartPE image, the builder always leaves BOOTSECT.BIN along side PROGRAMS/, I386/, and the rest. That's the file I demo'd in the fragment you quoted last time.

SETUPLDR gets patched by Andre Gascal's <sp ?> multiboot XP thinga-ma-jig. That works like a champ.

HTH....Jet

Thanks jet, you were right, using bootsect.bin did get it to boot BUT

now when it gets past "Setup is inspecting your computer's..." i get:

"Please insert the disk labeled Windows XP Professional Service

Pack 2 CD into drive A: Press Enter..."

this is exactly the same screen I got when trying to use BartPE

with BCDW 2.01a

Any thoughts on why this happens, could my SP2 not be slipstreamed

"properly"?

*BartPE iso works fine on it's own

Nevermind my last post I'll answer my own question, cd identification files

WIN51IP and WIN51IP.SP2 need to be in the root of the Super-Disc next to

BOOTSECT.BIN, now it runs fine. Onto adding Slax... anything I should pay

special attention to when doing this?

Thanks jet again for sharing your experience, much appeciated

BOOTSECT.BIN, now it runs fine.

Not if you don't care about a small edit in txtsetup.sif:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=65541

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87938&hl=

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=99385&hl=

;)

jaclaz

BOOTSECT.BIN, now it runs fine.

<snip>

jaclaz

Jaclaz: I was just thinking about you ! Good to have you stop by. How goes w/ GRUB 2 ? When time permits, I'd like to give that a try, to see what the GRUB team has come up with. Looking forward to those links you just posted, but in the meantime, I'm going to resume my very 1st Linux development project. Be well. C'ya....Jet

BOOTSECT.BIN, now it runs fine. Onto adding Slax... anything I should pay

special attention to when doing this?

Thanks jet again for sharing your experience, much appeciated

When you setup the cmd line (via APPEND) for a Slax menu entry, you can use 'from=/some-sub-dir', underneath one puts the /boot and /slax sub-dirs from the ISO. I use 'from=/slax6', but other than that it's cake....Jet

It's now official. I'm happy to report Extreme Tech has seen fit to publish an article of mine called Slax-The Do-It-Yourselfer's Linux. It isn't a perfect fit for Super-Disc, that is, the ET article is about a stand-alone, customized Slax. However, it illustrates how to customize Slax-6 and once customized, that Slax system can easily be incorporated into a Super-Disc project.

Anyway, that's it for now. Let me know what you think, altho I suspect I may be a little busy in the next week or so....Jet

• 1 month later...

i downloaded syslinux, copied the files over, edited my isolinux.cfg to my needs and made the iso with CDImage, but when the iso is loading in Virtual box, i get this error msg:

erro.PNG

Anyone had the same problem?

How to i solve it?

i downloaded syslinux, copied the files over, edited my isolinux.cfg to my needs and made the iso with CDImage, but when the iso is loading in Virtual box, i get this error msg:

<snip>

Anyone had the same problem?

How to i solve it?

Most likely you've missed boot-info-table option. Check the documentation for CDIMAGE more closely....

Or just grab CDImage GUI from here, it comes preset to the most commonly used settings ;) .

Also (as Jet stated way back) don't use isolinux.bin from the syslinux 3.52 package if you intend to add Windows XP (or any NT family OS) to your disc. You'll just get an annoying error message when loading the boot sector! Use the one from 3.51 instead.

Edited by kof94