Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

jetman

Anyone worked out where the $OEM$ dir now needs to go for this method?

In the same dir as your I386 dir.

I do things slightly different but for convenience sake... If you've read Flyakite's guide I believe your folder structure would look like this:

Tag files:

~/DISC/WIN51

~/DISC/WIN51IP

~/DISC/WIN51IP.SP2

Boot files:

~/DISC/PRO1/*

Setup files:

~/DISC/SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/I386/*

~/DISC/SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/$OEM$/*

~/DISC/SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/WIN51

~/DISC/SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/WIN51IP

~/DISC/SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/WIN51IP.SP2

Txtsetup.sif defines the root of your source files in the SetupSourcePath string. So, in this case, after txtmode setup has run txtsetup.sif will define /SETUP/PROFESSIONAL/ as the folder containing your setup files this includes the I386 dir and $OEM$ dir.

Edited by kof94

• 4 weeks later...

@Jetman

For the last month I've been living in the land of Linux (currently PCLinuxOS 2007) and XP has been banished to VirtualBox.

In the last couple of days I've started to build a new multi-boot disc using K3B to create my iso's. Everything's been going well up until now (adding Linux distro's and utils) but I've just ran into a problem... Windows!

For some reason when I execute the boot sector it cannot find the disc, more specifically setupldr.bin. I can only assume it's something to do with my iso's image settings. At present I have them set to Unix+Windows, Boot-info-table, Boot load size 4.

Can you point me in the right direction with this, pleeeeese :D

Edit: Nevermind, disabling RockRidge seams to have solved the problem!

Edited by kof94

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been posted anything in a while, in part due to paying work related to Slax-6, but along the way I came up w/ SLAX6RC6.EXE. This SFX is to overlay a stock copy of Slax-6 RC-6 w/ an improved boot menu+splash graphic, as well as one of my fav Slax customizations: XCONF2.

First, download the Slax-6 RC-6 ISO from here. Copy its contents (ie. \boot and \slax) to a sub-dir called \slax6rc6. Download the above-mentioned SFX and extract it on top of \slax6rc6. Yes, when prompted by the SFX, overwrite everything.

To make an updated Slax-6 RC6 disc, it's simply a matter of opening a command window on \slax6rc6\slax and running:

MAKE_ISO.CMD \slax6rc6.iso

Since this about the Super-Disc project, here's how one would add our custom Slax-6 to Super-Disc:

0) Copy \slax6rc6 to \Super-Disc.

1) Add the following stanza to the ISOLINUX.CFG for your Super-Disc.

####
LABEL slax
MENU LABEL ^Slax-6 (Linux) Sub-menu
TEXT HELP
Display the Slax (Linux) sub-menu....
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
APPEND /slax6rc6/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

Note the APPEND stmt (above) chains to our new menu. You'll have to add something similar to return back to our main menu from the Slax-6 menu.... :whistle:

2) You'll also need to change each stanza in the Slax-6 menu that boots Slax, to add a 'from=/slax6rc6' clause, as shown in the next stanza:

LABEL xconf2
MENU LABEL ^Best Graphics Mode [using XCONF2]
MENU DEFAULT
TEXT HELP
Best Graphics Mode attempts to find the widest number of graphics modes
using the XCONF2 script. Works best for CRT monitors, but many LCDs will
work better as well....
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND vga=769 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw from=/slax6rc6 autoexec=xconf2;kdm
####

That's pretty much it. Slax-6 is way better than Slax-5 and is such an improvement (even in pre-release form) that I haven't booted any Slax-5 discs in over a month.

post-17301-1186852768_thumb.jpg

Above is a snapshot of the new and improved Slax-6 menu found in the SFX. Later....Jet

Edited by jetman

Hi Jet, long time no post :hello: .

Since I'm now a 100% Linux user, which is in some part your fault (and I'm not complaining), could you provide your sfx as a plain archive, pleeeeeese :D.

I've been toying with the idea of learning how to make modules for Slax 6 myself. At the moment I only really want small things like p7zip and unrar and starting small is probably a good idea anyway, do you have any tips?

Later

Edited by kof94

Hi Jet, long time no post :hello: .

Since I'm now a 100% Linux user, which is in some part your fault (and I'm not complaining), could you provide your sfx as a plain archive, pleeeeeese :D.

That's right, blame it all on the Americans..... :angel

I'm busy today, but give Ark a try. It mite be able to figure the SFX out. If all goes well, I'll PM you something this evening my time.

I've been toying with the idea of learning how to make modules for Slax 6 myself. At the moment I only really want small things like p7zip and unrar and starting small is probably a good idea anyway, do you have any tips?

Later

Here's a Q-n-D for making a new Firefox:

1) Boot Slax-6 into console mode.

2) Download the latest Firefox and put it into /tmp.

3) Next:

cd /tmp
tgz2lzm mozilla-firefox-en-us-2.0.0.6-i686-1sl.tgz /mnt/hda1/firefox-2.0.0.6-i686.lzm
uselivemod /mnt/hda1/firefox-2.0.0.6-i686.lzm
kbuildsycoca

4) Take a look at your Internet sub-menu on the K-menu. You should have a functional Firefox listed. Congrats, you just made your 1st Slax module ! Ideally, once you've made a few of these you'll want to integrate them formally, by adding them onto a CD-R.

HTH. Gotta split for a prior appt....Jet

That's right, blame it all on the Americans..... :angel

It's okay, you can't help it... :lol:

Jokes aside...

I copied it into virtual box and extracted it that way. I must of been having an off day yesterday cos thats what I usually do :huh: .

Incidentally, Virtual Box works much better under Linux than Windows. I never got a long with the whole file sharing idea before now but it works very well. Memory seems to go a long way as well, 512mb for VBox, 512mb for my sys and about five or six things going on between the two and still no lag on my aging rig :w00t: .

Yes as you can tell I'm loving the whole Linux thing, it's like having a new toy :wub: .

With regards to Slax modules, I take it that if theres a Slackware package for the program I want I can just convert and use provided all the dependencies are met.

Which brings me on to my next question:

How the hell do I go about figuring out what is dependant of what without installing Slackware in the first place, which I'm not doing?

Anyway I'm off to build a firefox module.

Cya.

Incidentally, Virtual Box works much better under Linux than Windows. I never got a long with the whole file sharing idea before now but it works very well. Memory seems to go a long way as well, 512mb for VBox, 512mb for my sys and about five or six things going on between the two and still no lag on my aging rig :w00t: .

Yes as you can tell I'm loving the whole Linux thing, it's like having a new toy :wub: .

With regards to Slax modules, I take it that if theres a Slackware package for the program I want I can just convert and use provided all the dependencies are met.

Which brings me on to my next question:

How the hell do I go about figuring out what is dependant of what without installing Slackware in the first place, which I'm not doing?

Anyway I'm off to build a firefox module.

Cya.

VirtualBox is on my list of things to try RSN. Hopefully, it uses VMWare vdrives.

Regarding Slackware pkgs and dependencies: you just have to wing it or give ZenWalk a try. ZW uses the same architecture (the Linux-Live scripts+Slackware), but they've added several enhancements like they operate their own net-based pkg repo w/ dependency resolution, true hdrive installation along w/ the live CD, and a better forum. I don't have a hard-and-fast rule on Slax and dependencies. Most of the time dependencies are advertised by the whoever made the pkg or tarball. If the dependent pkg is only used by a single pkg, then I bundle everything together in a single module. But I thought you were already hooked on Ubuntu ?

Anyway, going back to bundling modules:

1) Once you've got a Firefox module, d/l Flash from linuxpackages.net and convert it into a module.

2) Make a /temp sub-dir.

3) Next:

lzm2dir firefox-2.0.0.6.lzm /temp 
lzm2dir flash-9.31.lzm /temp
cd /temp
dir2lzm . /mnt/hda1/firefox-2.0.0.6+flash-9.31.lzm

Flash is available to Konqueror as well as the Fox, it just seems (to me) that the Fox and Flash belong together. And that's how I deal w/ dependencies (so to speak.)

BTW, slacky.eu is new repo I found for Slackware-12 pkgs. It's mostly Italian, but they also host English pkgs. And linuxpackages has tutorials on pkg building incl how to deal w/ deps.

This shud keep you busy for a while. Later....Jet

Thanks

No I've ditched Ubuntu for PCLOS as an installed OS.

I use Slax mainly for recovering files for dumb a** customers that have never thought about the word 'backup'. Slax is good because it's free and if anyone nicks my my CD from work it doesn't matter it's also small enough to use copy2ram on nearly every PC/Laptop I meet.

Ideally I'd like to add Gparted and Clonezilla to Slax but I think I'm asking a lot of myself there, maybe in time though.

Edit:

VirtualBox is on my list of things to try RSN. Hopefully, it uses VMWare vdrives.

I do believe they are the same.

Edited by kof94

Thanks

No I've ditched Ubuntu for PCLOS as an installed OS.

I use Slax mainly for recovering files for dumb a** customers that have never thought about the word 'backup'. Slax is good because it's free and if anyone nicks my my CD from work it doesn't matter it's also small enough to use copy2ram on nearly every PC/Laptop I meet.

Ideally I'd like to add Gparted and Clonezilla to Slax but I think I'm asking a lot of myself there, maybe in time though.

Edit:

I do believe they are the same.

PCLOS is slick, but what's the diff over Ubuntu/Kubuntu, besides one is based on Mandrake and the other on Debian ? I think they're pretty much even on the slick factor. Both are very well done Linux distros. BTW, have you tried adding PCLOS to your Super-Disc ? What happened w/ Reconstructor ?

[Adding to Slax]GParted, PartImage, and Clonezilla shud not be a prob. The sole issue for adding those guys is the .desktop file that puts them on the KMenu. Putting things on the Desktop is trivial, not that putting things on the KMenu is hard.

PS: The ISOLINUX.BIN in the slax6rc6 SFX doesn't like XP's BOOTSECT.BIN. Roll back to ISOLINUX.BIN from 3.50, in case you decide to merge your Slax+BartPE projects....Jet

PCLOS is slick, but what's the diff over Ubuntu/Kubuntu, besides one is based on Mandrake and the other on Debian ? I think they're pretty much even on the slick factor. Both are very well done Linux distros. BTW, have you tried adding PCLOS to your Super-Disc ? What happened w/ Reconstructor ?

I was half way through messing about with Reconstructor when I decided to give PCLOS ago, needless to say I never turned back.

Ubuntu is good and all but PCLOS just has the edge for me. The repos may not have as many apps but what apps there are, suit my needs. Unlike Ubuntu I only needed to search out one app to install that wasn't already available, Virtual Box. Saying that, the open source version is actually available but I needed the full version. On top of that I found Ubuntu to be too restrictive and switching to Kubuntu in a hope that KDE's more complex nature would fix this didn't help either. All in all and without rambling on for pages (which I could do) PCLOS is just easier to work with, try it you might like it ;)

Oh, and yes I've added it to my disc and it took all of five minutes, if you look at the disc structure you'll see why. I wish all distro's were as easy.

[Adding to Slax]GParted, PartImage, and Clonezilla shud not be a prob. The sole issue for adding those guys is the .desktop file that puts them on the KMenu. Putting things on the Desktop is trivial, not that putting things on the KMenu is hard.

I'd really like to get into this, I've already added modules for p7zip, unrar, Firefox and Krusader. Although Krusader needs some libs to work which I'm gonna need to track down and I need to add some extensions and settings to Firefox. Once I've finished that I'm gonna tackle the progs you mentioned. I'm just not really sure about where to start with all those dependencies. I'm pretty sure GParted doesn't work with all those filesystems out of the box and I'm gonna need Gnome libs for it as well :wacko: .

Ho-hum I'll have fun learning anyway and since your back in town be prepared for lots of 'whats this', 'how do you do this' and lots of other stupid questions coming your way :D

PS: The ISOLINUX.BIN in the slax6rc6 SFX doesn't like XP's BOOTSECT.BIN. Roll back to ISOLINUX.BIN from 3.50, in case you decide to merge your Slax+BartPE projects....Jet

I'm already using 3.50 I just wanted your xconf2 module and settings to add to my menu, thanks for the tip though. My major bug bare with isolinux at the minute is localboot/chain.c32 not booting my sata drives. I'm pretty sure it worked when I had Windows installed and CDShell never had a prob either but every time I go to boot grub it restarts my machine. I'm sure it'll be fixed in time though, I'll just need to remember to eject the disc for now instead.

Right, I'm off to fix Krusader.

Cya.

I'm already using 3.50 I just wanted your xconf2 module and settings to add to my menu, thanks for the tip though. My major bug bare with isolinux at the minute is localboot/chain.c32 not booting my sata drives. I'm pretty sure it worked when I had Windows installed and CDShell never had a prob either but every time I go to boot grub it restarts my machine. I'm sure it'll be fixed in time though, I'll just need to remember to eject the disc for now instead.

Right, I'm off to fix Krusader.

Cya.

About SATA/chain.c32: Why don't you post something about it to the SYSLINUX mail list ? It's probably something he'd like to fix and Peter's pretty good about stuf like this. It's prob a BIOS issue he's gotta workthru...

About SATA/chain.c32: Why don't you post something about it to the SYSLINUX mail list ? It's probably something he'd like to fix and Peter's pretty good about stuf like this. It's prob a BIOS issue he's gotta workthru...

I did go looking and I found similar posts relating to this issue, I think it depends on what hardware he has available to fix the problem. I'll give it ago though and see what happens.

I'd really like to get into this, I've already added modules for p7zip, unrar, Firefox and Krusader. Although Krusader needs some libs to work which I'm gonna need to track down and I need to add some extensions and settings to Firefox. Once I've finished that I'm gonna tackle the progs you mentioned. I'm just not really sure about where to start with all those dependencies. I'm pretty sure GParted doesn't work with all those filesystems out of the box and I'm gonna need Gnome libs for it as well :wacko: .

Ho-hum I'll have fun learning anyway and since your back in town be prepared for lots of 'whats this', 'how do you do this' and lots of other stupid questions coming your way :D

Your kind of questions aren't stupid, cause you have a clue. B) Let me know how XCONF2 works in general (like in a week or so.) Most of the numb-nutz on the Slax forum are completely clueless. BTW, the Framebuffer menu picks illustrate a twitchy part of Linux. Not all displays support the exact same modes, so these picks will work on some display adapters and not on others. But they also illustrate the FB driver can be coaxed into the hi-perf (rez) realm w/ a bit of effort, obviating the need for a specific video driver in some circumstances.

One way to get a heads-up on FB modes and a lot of other useful info is HWINFO. This site (live-modules.org) is run by two of the few (Quax+Flux) on the Slax forum that have a clue. They may already have your GParted module already built and operating.

If I were doing the GParted module, I'd probably do the trick I showed you w/ the Firefox+Flash module, w/ GParted's deps. When I looked it up on LinuxPackages, it appears to be only three or four small pkgs to combine. You may also want to get a copy of NTFSPROGS, as Tomas has left that out of the curr Slax-6 kit (prob for good.)

It's my hope to be doing some paying writing on this subj RSN. Keep your fingers crossed for me....Jet

Your kind of questions aren't stupid, cause you have a clue.

You say the nicest things :wub::lol: .

Let me know how XCONF2 works in general (like in a week or so.) Most of the numb-nutz on the Slax forum are completely clueless. BTW, the Framebuffer menu picks illustrate a twitchy part of Linux. Not all displays support the exact same modes, so these picks will work on some display adapters and not on others. But they also illustrate the FB driver can be coaxed into the hi-perf (rez) realm w/ a bit of effort, obviating the need for a specific video driver in some circumstances.

Actually, since your asking, it works really well. I've had a chance to try it out on a laptop that just didn't like standard xconf and it's fixed Virtual Box going spastic as well. Thanks for the heads up on the framebuffer options. I need to add some options for failsafes as well, most of the laptops I meet everyday need at least 'acpi=off'.

One way to get a heads-up on FB modes and a lot of other useful info is HWINFO. This site (live-modules.org) is run by two of the few (Quax+Flux) on the Slax forum that have a clue. They may already have your GParted module already built and operating.

If I were doing the GParted module, I'd probably do the trick I showed you w/ the Firefox+Flash module, w/ GParted's deps. When I looked it up on LinuxPackages, it appears to be only three or four small pkgs to combine. You may also want to get a copy of NTFSPROGS, as Tomas has left that out of the curr Slax-6 kit (prob for good.)

It's my hope to be doing some paying writing on this subj RSN. Keep your fingers crossed for me....Jet

Thanks for your help on this, I'm just fed up with using multiple livecd's (even though I have them on one DVD) just so I can use one extra app that another doesn't have or find that the one I need wont boot when I need it. Slax (nearly) works on everything I encounter so it makes since to have everything under one roof, so to speak.

Anyway I off to check out live-modules.org.

Cya.

Edited by kof94