Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

jetman

<snip>

Test this for me would ya.

Downoad the UBCD 4.0 .iso, extract it's contents and add a folder in the dosapps folder called docmem.

<snip>

Anyway I've waffled on too long, just test this out... kof.

Why not, just not today. Unattended XP is almost there. Just have to figure out where to put $OEM$ and test. Thanx. Later....Jet

...Unattended XP is almost there. Just have to figure out where to put $OEM$ and test...

$OEM$ folders, those were the days. Everything I do now is integrated into the Windows setup but thats a whole new topic for discussion.

Catch ya later.

Our latest and probably final update:

finalsuperdiscsnapshotop9.th.jpg

LABEL bootc
MENU LABEL B^oot from C:
MENU DEFAULT
KERNEL /boot/isolinux/chain.c32
APPEND hd0

LABEL bartpe
MENU LABEL ^BartPE/WinPE
KERNEL /BOOTSECT.BIN

LABEL unattxp
MENU LABEL ^Unattended XP Pro Installation
KERNEL /UXPP.bin

LABEL xpsetup
MENU LABEL Standard ^XP Pro Installation
KERNEL /PRO1.bin

As pointed out earlier, this project isn't optimized. Future (personal) editions will certainly be re-org'd, probably to move the different Linux distros onto their own sub-menu. But it works as it is and illustrates how to integrate just about everything one would want to carry around on a disc w/ a nice menu.

I used the utils from the Multi-Boot DVD Guide to create two boot folders (UXPP for Unattended XP Pro and PRO1 for a std XP Pro install) from a single XP dir, then add it all to the ISO image and menu. The 'Boot from C:' menu pick came into being so that the disc will reboot autmagically to continue an install started from one of the XP menu picks.

BTW, I even got FreeNAS to work, but at a price. FreeNAS (or the FreeBSD loader that it uses) requires the RockRidge ISO attribute, which apparently isn't compatible w/ Windows sware as the XP setup immed stopped working. But, the Linuxen seem to work okay (not much experimental time), so eventually there will be a Unix-alike only Super-Disc.

However, the work on FreeNAS (and Doc Mem to a degree) illustrates the ans to an earlier question about the reason for disassembling ISOs. It would be great if it were possible to make a Super-Disc out of disk images and ISOs alone. Unfortunately, the way that PCs (particluarly PC BIOSes) have evolved over the years, this simply isn't feasible in most cases. Period. If PC BIOSes followed a stricter standard, programmers like the author of SYSLINUX could create loaders which would be able to bring anything into RAM and launch it. Consequently, if one wants a Super-Disc-like system, one must dismantle the constituent parts of the project (one ISO/image at a time) and re-assemble them in a new modified configuration.

Another potential stumbling block is the fact that the authors of some CD/DVD applications don't allow for their works to be relocated (often due to poor design/lack of foresight.) That is, they're hard-coded to work only from specific directory configurations.

Anyway, this has been fun and rewarding. I would also point out that SYSLINUX is a toolkit for making menuing/loader systems. There are at least two other ready-made menuing/loader systems included in the stock archive, similar to the VESAMENU module demonstrated here. The key to discovering if their potential is (as expressed above): experiment, experiment, experiment....Jet

Edited by jetman

$OEM$ folders, those were the days. Everything I do now is integrated into the Windows setup but thats a whole new topic for discussion.

Catch ya later.

Now you're p***ing me off ! What do you mean integrated into the Windows setup ? Don't drop a totally provocative hint and run away !!! :)

Now you're p***ing me off ! What do you mean integrated into the Windows setup ? Don't drop a totally provocative hint and run away !!! smile.gif

I knew that would get you going :lol: .

I've used many, many different ways to run an unattened/Modded XP setup and now finally after nearly two years of p***ing around I've settled on the simplest setup going.

At present my setup consists of:

RyanVM's Update Pack, WMP10 addon and DirectX 9c addon.

Bâshrat's DriverPacks (all of them except MassStorage).

Windows Post-Install Wizard to install all my apps.

To bind all this together I have my own custom addon to use with the RyanVM Integrator. It consists of files to add/update unattened setup and integrate the MediaCentre Royale theme. Included in this package is an inf I made to update reg settings at specific stages of install and to finally run RunOnceEx to finish the DriverPacks setup and execute WPI. It's clean and (even if I do say it myself) professional.

Most of this is easy to do i.e adding Ryan's updates/addons and the DriverPacks. The fun really starts when your learning how to build your own addons, write inf's and configure WPI. They're a bit more time consuming.

All-in-all the $OEM$ folders, and a batch file could do the small things I've done with my little addon, I'm just being a know-it-all :whistle: (let the flaming commence).

The only real benefit with integration is you don't have to use oemprecopy, or what ever it's called, that messes up F6 driver installation during txtmode. You can also run an upgrade install with the /makelocalsource switch and everything works as it should ($OEM$ folders only work on a full OEM install!). Not that I ever do but you can.

If you want some help I'll be more than heppy to barrage you with links :) .

Later.

<snip>

All-in-all the $OEM$ folders, and a batch file could do the small things I've done with my little addon, I'm just being a know-it-all :whistle: (let the flaming commence).

The only real benefit with integration is you don't have to use oemprecopy, or what ever it's called, that messes up F6 driver installation during txtmode. You can also run an upgrade install with the /makelocalsource switch and everything works as it should ($OEM$ folders only work on a full OEM install!). Not that I ever do but you can.

If you want some help I'll be more than heppy to barrage you with links :) .

Later.

Fascinating. They (MSOFT) make this stuf amazingly complicated. To date, I've avoided the add-on utils, partly for pride's sake and also to get the job done w/o the overhead of XML config files, hokey script langs, etc. However, it sounds that some of the external stuf could be worth looking at. One thing that definitely piques is the driver pack. Now, if that could be somehow coaxed into BartPE as well, it would be well worth the effort.

If you don't do a full OEM install, what's a partial OEM install ?

One other thing that's still outstanding (for a looong time) is scripting an unattended (or std) install from the hdrive via BartPE.

You've given yet more homework :sigh: But it's all good stuf. Later....Jet

To date, I've avoided the add-on utils, partly for pride's sake...

I only use Ryan's updates/addons (M$ updates/addons) and of course my little config addon.

...and also to get the job done w/o the overhead of XML config files, hokey script langs, etc

I'm lost? :blink:

If you don't do a full OEM install, what's a partial OEM install ?

What I meant was, a full install booting from disc!

One thing that definitely piques is the driver pack. Now, if that could be somehow coaxed into BartPE as well, it would be well worth the effort.

UBCD4Win already does this and I believe there is a pack based on Bâshrat's DriverPacks that you can add to your own BartPE on that site. The DriverPacks Base at some point will support this as well. One word of advice if your considering using said DriverPacks, don't bother with MassStorage. It's still not compatible enough to rely on!

One other thing that's still outstanding (for a looong time) is scripting an unattended (or std) install from the hdrive via BartPE.

You can do this simply with the little util that comes with UBCD4Win (I'm starting to become an advert here :whistle: )

Later.

One thing that definitely piques is the driver pack. Now, if that could be somehow coaxed into BartPE as well, it would be well worth the effort.

UBCD4Win already does this and I believe there is a pack based on Bâshrat's DriverPacks that you can add to your own BartPE on that site. The DriverPacks Base at some point will support this as well. One word of advice if your considering using said DriverPacks, don't bother with MassStorage. It's still not compatible enough to rely on!

Actually there's a pretty simple reason for that: Very few manufacturers make their drivers so they can be read easily or compatible, often times building their driver trees (all the files and infs) in such a nonstandard way that sometimes they NEED their own installer apps to get them to work. What fun, eh?

You can do this simply with the little util that comes with UBCD4Win (I'm starting to become an advert here :whistle: )

Which tool is that?

Edited by Gedrean

...and also to get the job done w/o the overhead of XML config files, hokey script langs, etc

I'm lost? :blink:

I forget the names, but there were a couple of utils for unattended Windows configuring and scripting I looked at and dismissed a long time ago, prob here on MSFN. But they went the XML route for simple config files (as opposed to INI files) or cooked their own wimpy scripting lang.

<snip>

Later.

No thanx. I've already got Python in BartPE. I just need to spend a weekend and write the code !

Will look into the UBCD4WIN forum for that driver pack. BTW, have you looked into WinBuilder at all ? Jet

I forget the names, but there were a couple of utils for unattended Windows configuring and scripting I looked at and dismissed a long time ago, prob here on MSFN. But they went the XML route for simple config files (as opposed to INI files) or cooked their own wimpy scripting lang.

Back in the light :) .

Actually there's a pretty simple reason for that: Very few manufacturers make their drivers so they can be read easily or compatible, often times building their driver trees (all the files and infs) in such a nonstandard way that sometimes they NEED their own installer apps to get them to work. What fun, eh?

Txtmode to GUI mode is the main issue. Windows recognise the correct Silicon Image drivers for formating and copying files in txtmode but it all goes tits up after the first reboot. Windows decides it doesn't actually like the drivers anymore and tries to install some other random driver instead then BSOD. It's a known issue with the MassStorage DP. I'm happy to live without them so-long-as a have a floppy drive.

No thanx. I've already got Python in BartPE. I just need to spend a weekend and write the code !

Will look into the UBCD4WIN forum for that driver pack. BTW, have you looked into WinBuilder at all ? Jet

No, I've only ever used ERD and UBCD4Win. What's Python about?

Which tool is that?

I'll try to find a link for you.

Edit: search for "XPSetupLauncher" on this page There isn't a download or link so it must be a member contribution.

Edited by kof94

<snip>

No, I've only ever used ERD and UBCD4Win. What's Python about?

<snip>

I'm surprised you haven't already heard of it. It's one of the Ps in the LAMP (ie. Perl, PHP, or Python) stack. Totally free, avail on all major platforms, used for big and small programming. GOOGLE and Yahoo even use it as part of the internal infrastructure of their web app systems. Named for the UK comedy tropue....

• 4 weeks later...

You need to mess about with the margins and the size of the display area. It's a bit of a pain really because each setting effects the other.

I did manage to align everything to the left so that I could have a pic running down the right hand side but that's about as creative as you can get. It isn't exactly inspiring but is the "simple menu system" after all.

You need to mess about with the margins and the size of the display area. It's a bit of a pain really because each setting effects the other.

I did manage to align everything to the left so that I could have a pic running down the right hand side but that's about as creative as you can get. It isn't exactly inspiring but is the "simple menu system" after all.

Can you give me a short example ? Thank you.

Edited by google44