USB devices drivers problem

voidwalker

dont select the cat file cleanup in the hotfixes section, this is what's causing it!

You seriously deserve a statue. Thank you very much for that solution, I had this problem for months.

Eh, not yet. It still isn't working for me. When I replug the mouse and keyboard after the unattended cd is finished and reboot, I can't use the mouse and keyboard at the welcome screen.

dont select the cat file cleanup in the hotfixes section, this is what's causing it!

You seriously deserve a statue. Thank you very much for that solution, I had this problem for months.

Eh, not yet. It still isn't working for me. When I replug the mouse and keyboard after the unattended cd is finished and reboot, I can't use the mouse and keyboard at the welcome screen.

make a totally new cd, with a clean source, and dont select CAT file removal :)

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am not sure if the topic is still actual, but I found the solution to the "administrators credentials" problem when connecting USB devices. Looking in C:\Windows\setupapi.log there was rows about incorrect C:\Windows\system32\syssetup.dll. This file must have been modified when I was creating n-lite image. I simply replaced this file from flat installation of WinXP and I don't get the credentials window when connecting USB key, USB mouse etc. when the non-administrative user is logged on.

JJA, nlite should have done that for you, it keeps a clean backup of the file. I wonder why it didn't happen. If you find out how to duplicate that issue, installed with some other method other than booting from the cd or running winnt32 or you tampered with the installation let me know, thx.

• 1 month later...
JJA, nlite should have done that for you, it keeps a clean backup of the file. I wonder why it didn't happen. If you find out how to duplicate that issue, installed with some other method other than booting from the cd or running winnt32 or you tampered with the installation let me know, thx.

Greetings!

I just registered for this forum so I could post a bit more info, in hopes of leading a few more people to this thread via Google searches and such...

I ran into this same problem -- new flash drives prompted for administrator credentials to install. (Actually, they seemed to function anyway, but still gave the scary admin dialog.) I followed many false trails trying to resolve this: permissions on the USBSTOR.INF file, PartMgr.sys upper filter registry entries, etc. There were lots of theories on the InterWeb about what could cause this, but not many answers.

Eventually I traced it as JJA did, to an error in setupapi.log about an unsigned version of SysSetup.dll. I guess nLite created a modified version of this file, as well as sfcfiles.dll, to change some behavior during the initial installation of Windows. I didn't see any backups of the original versions of these files, but admittedly I wouldn't have known where to look. Copying clean dlls from a vanilla XP machine fixed it right up.

I used nLite v1.3.5 with an XP Pro SP2-slipstreamed-on-SP1 disc as the source. I didn't change anything outside of the nLite GUI options.

Despite this problem, I must say that nLite is one fantastic utility. I was able to install XP on a slew of PCs with Intel DP35DP motherboards that need SATA drivers and have no floppy controller to load it with F6 during setup. Ironically, the boards come with a floppy containing the drivers! :blink:

Thanks for your hard work, and keeping up with the moving target that is Microsoft!

-Warren.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I am not sure if the topic is still actual, but I found the solution to the "administrators credentials" problem when connecting USB devices. Looking in C:\Windows\setupapi.log there was rows about incorrect C:\Windows\system32\syssetup.dll. This file must have been modified when I was creating n-lite image. I simply replaced this file from flat installation of WinXP and I don't get the credentials window when connecting USB key, USB mouse etc. when the non-administrative user is logged on.

This is interesting. I do not have the remove catalog files option checked for my windows 2003 disc and i still get the pop up for installing drivers for common usb devices (thumb drives). This syssetup.dll could be why. I recall a district difference between the issue with windows xp and prob the same in 2003. XP & 2003, if you removed the catalog files you had to install the device before you could see it in my computer. With 2003 & prob xp this syssetup.dll issue I can actually use the device and ignore the install. Once I install it though then the device is named properly in my computer. Also could this be tied to explorer not auto mounting some USB hard drives. I have to go into disk management and give the USB hard drive a drive letter for it to show up. I am going to try replacing syssetup.dll with the original from the disc and see what happens. THANKS for the info. Nuhi it seems we have found another bug.

Sure enough.. I have the errors in setupapi.log Look like this..

#W360 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "System devices" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by Madhits45

I tried changing out my syssetup.dll on my installed system and it still asks for the drivers to be installed. Does this work or do I need to reinstall the system in order for that fix to take? If I have to reinstall why is that? Is there a reg entry I can change back to default to get it to stop prompting for drivers for common USB devices?

THANKS

OK total suckage. I changed out the syssetup.dll with the one from the original CD and now I get an error during setup. The error says:

The signature for windows setup is invalid. The error code is 57.

The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal error :

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is fatal

Shoot I have to use the nlite patched version of syssetup.dll as it is the only one that works with the install. Nuhi this is a issue I cant fix on my own. Can you fix this in the next version of nlite.

Or if perhaps I missed something here. Can someone explain what else I can do to get around this issue manually?

THANK YOU

Edited by Madhits45

Hi JJA and nuhi,

First off let me say nLite is a great tool and I've been using it for a few months now.

I ran into this USB driver issue as well recently and thanks to JJA's work, replacing the syssetup.dll from a non-nlite'd system gets rid of this issue. As JJA mentioned above, I looked in the setupapi.log and noticed the same error regarding this .dll.

nuhi:

I am using a Windows XP SP 2 Volume Licensed edition hologrammed CD to create my nlite session. Once I rip all the files to my drive I use the nLite normally and create a bootable ISO. I burn it with Nero 7 and boot off the CD and install Windows normally. I have recreated my nlite'd session many times using my original CD from Microsoft and I still get this issue. Even just adding a couple of drivers to support ICH8 SATA controllers still affects this .dll. I am not sure what happens but it probably needs some attention.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

fromthewoods

OK total suckage. I changed out the syssetup.dll with the one from the original CD and now I get an error during setup. The error says:

The signature for windows setup is invalid. The error code is 57.

The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal error :

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is fatal

Shoot I have to use the nlite patched version of syssetup.dll as it is the only one that works with the install. Nuhi this is a issue I cant fix on my own. Can you fix this in the next version of nlite.

Or if perhaps I missed something here. Can someone explain what else I can do to get around this issue manually?

THANK YOU

I'm assuming when you say you are copying the syssetup.dll file from the CD you mean the file syssetup.dl_ in the I386 folder. This file on the CD (at least mine) is 321KB. The syssetup.dll file under C:\Windows\System32 is 961KB. I don't think you can just copy the file and rename it and put it in the proper folder. The file size is different. Try copying it from a working system.

Thanks,

Fromthewoods

I'm assuming when you say you are copying the syssetup.dll file from the CD you mean the file syssetup.dl_ in the I386 folder. This file on the CD (at least mine) is 321KB. The syssetup.dll file under C:\Windows\System32 is 961KB. I don't think you can just copy the file and rename it and put it in the proper folder. The file size is different. Try copying it from a working system.

Thanks,

Fromthewoods

Yes I copied the syssetup.dll from the original windows 2003 sp2 disc. Its cabed and renamed syssetup.dl_. I extracted it with winrar and put it in my current system32 folder but that did not work. Still forces me to run through install of common mass storage USB devices and also forces you to manually mount USB hard drives.

So then I tried replaced the syssetup.dl_ on my nlited disc with the original from the 2003 sp2 disc and reburned my disc but this also did not work. I get an error during setup like I indicated earlier. This is because nlite edits the syssetup.dll so it can skip OOBE I believe. In any case there is an issue with the way nlite does this edit and this is the bug that nuhi will have to look at. :blink:

Greetings!

I just registered for this forum so I could post a bit more info, in hopes of leading a few more people to this thread via Google searches and such...

I ran into this same problem -- new flash drives prompted for administrator credentials to install. (Actually, they seemed to function anyway, but still gave the scary admin dialog.) I followed many false trails trying to resolve this: permissions on the USBSTOR.INF file, PartMgr.sys upper filter registry entries, etc. There were lots of theories on the InterWeb about what could cause this, but not many answers.

Eventually I traced it as JJA did, to an error in setupapi.log about an unsigned version of SysSetup.dll. I guess nLite created a modified version of this file, as well as sfcfiles.dll, to change some behavior during the initial installation of Windows. I didn't see any backups of the original versions of these files, but admittedly I wouldn't have known where to look. Copying clean dlls from a vanilla XP machine fixed it right up.

I used nLite v1.3.5 with an XP Pro SP2-slipstreamed-on-SP1 disc as the source. I didn't change anything outside of the nLite GUI options.

Despite this problem, I must say that nLite is one fantastic utility. I was able to install XP on a slew of PCs with Intel DP35DP motherboards that need SATA drivers and have no floppy controller to load it with F6 during setup. Ironically, the boards come with a floppy containing the drivers! :blink:

Thanks for your hard work, and keeping up with the moving target that is Microsoft!

-Warren.

Wondras,

Just a quick question: How were you able to find that nLite modified the sfcfiles.dll as well?

Thanks,

Fromthewoods

Its the options to turn off WFP windows file protection. Nlite has had that option for years. That file has to be altered so that you can have an nlited install. After the install is done you can either Turn it back on or leave it off.

I always leave WFP off and thus keep the modified sfc dll in place.

If someone else could please confirm this issue is in 2003 also I would like to know if there is a way around it like there appears to be in XP. Why the xp trick does not work for me I don't know. If it should what am I missing?

THANKS

wondras, thanks. nLite should have done that on it's own, you can find the command in the nlite.inf.

But this helps a lot because I didn't know that the function failed for some reason, at least it will be easier to debug now.

Things which trigger syssetup patching are:

- patches

- component removal

- ie7 integration

- addons which edit syssetup.inf

Btw nLite backups clean syssetup.dll to the syssbck.dll in the i386 folder, just extract that, it should be the clean version. If it's not then that is the problem, maybe you ran nlite more than once and it didn't detect the clean version properly on the second run.

edit: tried it now with all removed and the backup was restored just fine. If someone finds out how to break this yell.

Also check windows\setuperr.log for errors, maybe your nlite.inf never got executed if something else broke before it.