MAKE VISTA DVD BOOTABLE

robglen

I have read with interest the post by Sharaz191 and the help he got from Neo and Bassix to solve his problem. I have a similar problem. I had to install Vista under XP as the DVD isn't bootable. I have tried to use the advice that was posted by Neo and Bassix last week but it doesn't work for me. I have downloaded oscdimg.exe but I am not too familiar with the command prompt. I have tried Nero, ISO Magic, UltraISO, Alcohol120%, VistaBootPro but I end up against the proverbial brick wall. I have burnt 7 DVD's and none boot.

MY DVD is drive I and XP is on C while Vista is on drive F. I cant boot into Vista without having C on the dual boot menu as the MBR must be on C (I suppose).

What I hope is that someone can post a step by step procedure, in particular the Command Prompt part. From the other posts I think I need to convert my ISO file type to UDF. Although Sharaz191 was able to do this with Alcohol120%, I have tried but can find no option to convert ISO to UDF on any of the apps I have mentioned above.

Thanks in anticipation,

RobGlen

place/extract all your vista source to ur E:\vistaDVD

then open command prompt and type this command (you need to have oscdimg inside system32 directory)

oscdimg -bE:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD E:\vistaDVD\ E:\VistaDVD.iso

Output will be stored on E:\ with file name vistadvd.iso

The output vistaDVD.iso will be in UDF format and will be bootable as well ( Tried more then 10 times and 100% successful)

Now check if ur DVD is bootable (set the option to boot from CD/DVD from BIOS)

Nepali,

I just need to clear up a couple of points. Below is your reply

place/extract all your vista source to ur E:\vistaDVD

then open command prompt and type this command (you need to have oscdimg inside system32 directory)

oscdimg -bE:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD E:\vistaDVD\ E:\VistaDVD.iso

Output will be stored on E:\ with file name vistadvd.iso

The output vistaDVD.iso will be in UDF format and will be bootable as well ( Tried more then 10 times and 100% successful)

Now check if ur DVD is bootable (set the option to boot from CD/DVD from BIOS)

From what you say I assume I do the following:

1. Burn a dvd with my ISO image file and call it "VistaDVD" AND substitute my DVD letter "I" for the letter "E"

2. Open command prompt and goto C (my XP boot drive) and navigate to and open dir System32 and locate oscdimg.exe and

open it and type the command into it. OR do I just type the command into the System32 directory????.(I think it is the latter but I not sure)

Sorry if these questions are probably a bit basic but I am not an expert by any means. I cant wait to get home to try this.

Thanks again for your interest and I will let you know how I go.

RobGlen

Note : This tutorial is to build a NEW VISTA DVD. It doesn't concerned with any other custom made VISTA DVD.

This is the tutorial from the basic level

Just perform the following steps assuming you are in 0 level N' you will get success. Don't get smarter to modify any of the command below untill u r Sure what you are doing.

1. create a folder inside E:\ named vistaDVD

2. place all ur vista source inside the folder eg (E:\vistaDVD\*.*)

3. download oscdimg.exe

4. copy oscdimg.exe to your c:\windows\system32 directory

5 open command prompt (Run--> cmd )

type this in ur command prompt

Microsoft Windows XP[Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>oscdimg -bE:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD E:\vistaDVD\ E:\VistaDVD.iso

6. go to ur E:\ and locate a new file named vistaDVD.iso

7. burn that ISO with ur favourite burning software Eg: nero

8. Boot your system with the created DVD

9. must work if u go perfectly..

Edited by Nepali

Hello Nepali,

It almost worked. When I started the computer with the DVD in it stopped at the DVD but failed to boot. I used Nero and Alcohol120@ but both hung at this point with the light blinking but no disk activity after 10 minutes.

It created the new ISO file just like you said so I thought it would work. Perhaps I have something wrong so I list below the command screen which seems to indicate all is OK.

H drive is just a spare data drive where I put the files.

C is my boot drive. I had to put the file oscdimg in the Rob directory. This is how it appears when I enter start/run/cmd. But it found the file so I dont think this is the problem.

C:\Documents and settings\Rob>oscdimg –bh:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com –h –u2 –m

lVISTA_EN_DVD h:\vistaDVD\ h:\VistaDVD.iso

OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Etc etc

Scanning source tree complete <3 files in 2 directories>

Computing directory information complete

Image file is 2679341056 bytes

Writing 3 files in 2 directories to h:\VistaDVD.iso

100% complete.

Warning this file contains UDF file system structure.

You may be able to spot the problem.

Thanks for advice so far. I am a lot further down the track than before.

robglen

well seeing ur output, i am quite confused..

Could u send me ur Vistadvd folder screenshot, i.e H:\vistadvd\

your source is 2.49 GB but directory tree are few...

i think ur Vista DVD source is incomplete.. (i assume)

another thing here i found is the incorrect command line

u have missed something in ur command

oscdimg -bh:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD h:\vistaDVD\ h:\VistaDVD.iso

where is that - sign before lVISTA_EN_DVD

Please copy and paste this command in ur command prompt

to paste it, simply click the top left icon of the command prompt

click edit---then paste

Here is my output,, just compare directory structure of mine with urs

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>oscdimg -bd:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -

m -lVISTA_EN_DVD d:\vistaDVD\ d:\VistaDVD.iso

OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights reserved.

For Microsoft internal use only.

Scanning source tree complete (109 files in 22 directories)

Computing directory information complete

Image file is 2603384832 bytes

Writing 109 files in 22 directories to d:\VistaDVD.iso

0% complete

PS: u just got 3 files in 2 directory

and do not type the output manually, use SCREENSHOTS so that we may be sure what u r doing.

Edited by Nepali

Hi again Nepali.

The missing - sign was only a typo in the post I left you. The command line had the - sign.

Yes my file numbers are totally different to yours so my ISO file may be incomplete as you suspect. The confusing part is that my Vista DVD that I have runs under windows and auto starts as well but of course is not bootable. By comparison, the new ISO file that is produced by this sequence of commands will not even run under windows and I cannot even open it.

AN HOUR LATER....

Well it is an hour later and I have just tried something. I decided to copy my Vista files from my DVD that runs under windows. Unlike the ISO I was using to try to make a bootable disk, these files are visible and contain setup file etc. I copied these to the vistaDVD folder and ran the command prompt again and burnt the new ISO to a DVD........GUESS WHAT.....YES IT BOOTS. I am rapt after all this time. I owe you a deed of gratitude for all your effort and clearly I would have got nowhere without it.

The problem seems to have been that I was using the original ISO that I downloaded and this only contained 3 files as you noted. I had expanded this 2 weeks ago when I burnt the DVD that I used to install Vista and obviously I should have used the expanded version.

Good luck and thank you again

regards

robglen

well, if u already got success then a tweak for u guys..

Now u can place whatever ur best programs inside the dvd and build it. like office 2007, nero 7.7.5.1, live messenger, winrar etc etc...

just creat another folder inside vistaDVD

Eg: "H:\vistaDVD\Myappz"

Hello Nepali,

You said

"just creat another folder inside vistaDVD

Eg: "H:\vistaDVD\Myappz"

Seems simple enough. After successfully burning a bootable Vista DVD, I removed all the vista files from the vistaDVD folder and replaced them with Windows XP Pro files. I noticed there was no bootmgr file in XP. I ran the script exactly as before and successfully created a Vista.iso file containing the XP app. I burnt this in the same way as I burnt Vista but when booting it says "cant find device".

Do I need a special file from XP or do I keep using oscdimg and etfsboot or do I need a different one for different apps ?.

RobGlen :whistle:

• 1 year later...

I used this C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>oscdimg.exe -n -m -bd:\MyVistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com d:\MyVistaDVD\ d:\Vistax86.iso

command and The ISO I Burnt was bootable :D easily...

Thanks a Lot.

• 1 month later...