Vista multi VGA support sucks BIG time ?

Sesshoumaru

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=po...w_post&f=67

on the betas and pre RTM releases this wasnt like this, but now, a "feature" of vista is to accept more than 1 VGA ONLY if they use the same driver...

am i the only one that thinks that this is stupid ?

i mean, even nvidia has a diferent driver for series 6,7,8 then the one for the older ones :/

Even worse for me, its imposible to use my setup in vista (gf7600gt for main display, and a matrox pci card for my 2 pcone lcd screens on my case), since the matox card is disabled by vista (since its not using the same driver as the primary card, it considers it to nos be compatible with VGA something).

the article form the link says something about using XPDM drivers instead of WDDM ones, dunno where to get that or how to use them, but it sounds like it wont have the same performance/features as the correct drivers :/

thats what i thought.

so, either make a miracle and make vista accept XP drivers for our cards (god knows what performance we will get), or use vista drivers and forget about using diferent video cards form diferent vendors/drivers.

i really dont know WHY MS decided to make vista work like this...

They changed the driver model for many reasons... A video crash doesn't take down the system anymore (drivers not running in kernel mode/ring0 anymore) i.e. stabilty, performance reasons, complexity, not using GDI for everything anymore (DirectX based instead - accelerated by video card i.e. CPU load offloaded to the GPU)... Plus adding various features like GPU multitasking/scheduling/memory management, video playback enhancements, etc. Not having to reboot after video driver upgrades. It's likely useful for protected video path too. Video stuff has changed a fair bit in Vista - Aero, DX10, WPF (part of .NET 3) and all.

They pretty much had to. Sometimes changes are necessary, and a good thing, even if it's inconvenient or plainly a PITA during the transition period.

They changed the driver model for many reasons... A video crash doesn't take down the system anymore (drivers not running in kernel mode/ring0 anymore) i.e. stabilty, performance reasons, complexity, not using GDI for everything anymore (DirectX based instead - accelerated by video card i.e. CPU load offloaded to the GPU)... Plus adding various features like GPU multitasking/scheduling/memory management, video playback enhancements, etc. Not having to reboot after video driver upgrades. It's likely useful for protected video path too. Video stuff has changed a fair bit in Vista - Aero, DX10, WPF (part of .NET 3) and all.

They pretty much had to. Sometimes changes are necessary, and a good thing, even if it's inconvenient or plainly a PITA during the transition period.

1) im pretty sure i still have to restart after changing drivers :/

2) it still sucks.

If you're using the legacy-type of drivers (non-WDDM) or some sucky installer that forces it on you for no reason (like to load those tray icons and such junk after rebooting) or something, maybe. But when upgrading a WDDM driver the OS itself does not require a reboot. It can reset the GPU while it's running and all.

2) it still sucks.

Yes, for now. But as soon as pretty much all the hardware has the right drivers and all, nobody's going to want to go back to the old stuff. Just like the old VxD -> WDM transition. It sucked somewhat at first when nothing was available (the drivers for Creative's junk was a TOTAL joke!) Inconvenient, but still a good thing.

If you're using the legacy-type of drivers (non-WDDM) or some sucky installer that forces it on you for no reason (like to load those tray icons and such junk after rebooting) or something, maybe. But when upgrading a WDDM driver the OS itself does not require a reboot. It can reset the GPU while it's running and all.

2) it still sucks.

Yes, for now. But as soon as pretty much all the hardware has the right drivers and all, nobody's going to want to go back to the old stuff. Just like the old VxD -> WDM transition. It sucked somewhat at first when nothing was available (the drivers for Creative's junk was a TOTAL joke!) Inconvenient, but still a good thing.

dunno, i just install the drivrs that apear on microsoft update :P

it then asks fopr a restart.

are you saying that eventually, multi vga suport will be lke beforE ?

Edited by Sesshoumaru