Vista running on 220mb of ram.

raymerjacque

• 1 year later...

my vlited xp uses about 60 megs of RAM which includes all the functionality you mentioned (its my work pc on a domain) plus mcafee enterprise antivirus. without the antivirus its less than 40 megs.

even an default xp uses less ram than what you are reporting

• 2 weeks later...

What are the major resource hogs in Vista? Or is it just the sheer number of background apps/services? If I leave in everything that is red or says it is necessary for something else, will that keep fairly full functionality / compatibility with better performance?

Edited by strengthofmind

you only have 24 processes, I have 39 after a fresh install using vlite and removing super fetch, what else did you kill?

If you disable quite a number of services and the other progs running you'll end up with something like that.

I haven't tried if it works good in the long run (just testing out Vista before I'll make the switch), but it may very well do. My XP has 13 processes and works very well and has done so for years.

• 2 weeks later...
So, on my P4 2,2 with 512RAM it will run super fast?

No, it probably won't. You may be able to run it yes, but it will most likely not be fast.

So, on my P4 2,2 with 512RAM it will run super fast?

No, it probably won't. You may be able to run it yes, but it will most likely not be fast.

The topic starter says: "my point is that even in vlite beta version i was able to make vista run at basicly same if not faster speed to windows xp", so why will it not run faster on my faster pc?

Edited by hariskar

The topic starter says: "my point is that even in vlite beta version i was able to make vista run at basicly same if not faster speed to windows xp", so why will it not run faster on my faster pc?

I don't see his specs anywhere in this thread, so how do you know your machine is faster than his?

My work machine which im on now is using 389MB with IE7 open, and AVG alogn with a Logitech web cam loader.

Without IE open its 350MB.

This is a LIGHTLY modifed nlited version of XP. Fully networking, uses Remote Dekstop and all the other features you need.

Btw, thats 42 Processes with IE and 41 without, so moer processes than your screenshot in your first post, and a lot less ram usage.