Realtek HD Audio and Direct X

Has anyone been able to slipstream Realtek HD Audio drivers into their Windows install CDs?

Mine won't work no matter what I do. I suspect in my case it may be down to a DirectX problem.

After all my trials in this thread (LINK) I still can't get DirectX to work properly, and Realtek's readme states that it will not install without at least DirectX v8.1 being present.

As I'm working on my Windows 2000 CD (which only has DX v7 as standard) this might explain the problem. However, try as I might, I can't find a successful way to slipstream DirectX into Win2k. All packs seem to only made for WinXP (e.g. Ryan's) and they break horribly in Win2k. I've tried ameding the inf files in various cab packs to make it Win2k compatible, but this still doesn't work properly.

I don't want to use HFSLIP as it's way too complicated and it causes issues with NLite.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Why can't NLite just slipstream DirectX like it does service packs?

Why not install Dx9 in runonceex ?

I've tried that and it's hit and miss, sometimes it works ok and other times it doesn't (dxdiag shows DX v7.0 and 3d tests will not run). Also, installing DX at runonce ex really slows down the install process.

Plus, DX has to be in place for certain other items to install, so if DX is not installed until the first log in, then those other driver packs that I could have sliptreamed won't work (they will have to also be installed later on after the DX install has completed).

The result is that the Direct X Runonceex setup process always stalls because you get a load of "new hardware detected" wizards popping up ask for the location of drivers (because they have not been slipstreamed) and this prevents the DX install from completing because the wizards grab focus. It's all a bit of a mess really.

Nlite works so simply for everything else (service packs, hotfixes, dotnet, AHCI text mode drivers etc) that I wonder why it has such a problem with Direct X. I can't understand why I can't just point Nlite to the DX files and have it slipstream it correctly (seeing as that works for all other cab packs).

• 1 month later...