tweak to add to vlite

dsro

i would put this in the suggestion thread, but i don't know if it is possible or not. Based on what I have read, superfetch uses more memory, the more memory you have. So if you have 1 gig of ram, it uses ~512 mb of ram, 2 gigs of ram ~768, and 4 gigs of ram ~1024. I was wondering if there was a way to tweak superfetch into thinking that someone has 4 gigs when he/she only has 2? This would improve the experience of those people that do not use resource-hungry software that have a lot of ram (removing 1 gig of ram from 2 gigs still leaves you with 1 entire gig to use), but would like the extra boost in speed that comes with having more files cached in ram. This might also help people with 4 gigs if the pattern continues and an 8 gig computer would use more ram, since there would still be plenty of ram left over (the most resource hungry game right now only uses ~2.7 gigs of ram).

I don't know how I would look up this (im?)possible tweak, so i thought i should just ask you knowledgable people since, if it is possible, i would like it added to vlite.

Edited by dsro

hmmm, that all sounds extremely complicated and i am not sure it can be done. but instead of everyone trying to force the readyboost and superfetch features, why not just tackle the root of the problem ?

windows vista has more than half the system services running apon boot up. of those services you probly using only 1 quarter, i think a better tweak would be to be able to disable alot of unecesarry system services. a tweak like this would be so much less complicated and alot more effective.

i have disabled services manually after installation when i was testing vista and ram consumption was down by around 100mb, and even then i am sure i could have disabled alot more ... if these services could be tweaked into and unattended cd/dvd that would be a big bonus, but i am sure that it is a feature that will still probly be added into a future version along the line somewhere.

right now there are more annoying and need things that are being addressed as far as i see on the posts i have read. ( annoying drivers popups, completely unattended setup etc .. ).

"windows vista has more than half the system services running apon boot up. of those services you probly using only 1 quarter, i think a better tweak would be to be able to disable alot of unecesarry system services"

just go run > msconfig and disable them all yourself if you dont know what they do ect look them up on the net, and superfetch, readyboost, ect are better off gone completely imo

i was not thinking about my own pc. i am thinking in terms of installing it on many pc's, i can tweak my own and disable the services on my own pc that i don't want to use.

but as a technician it would save me alot of time if i can have a preconfigured dvd that i just load into someone's pc and bam, job is done on installation. then i can just use a cd key changer to legalise his copy and job is done.... no need to everytime go through all the services and disable them. on a one time installation it is alright, but if you install windows 10 times a week then it is a tireless job.

if i am able to tweak services in vlite i can make template dvd's.

1. with most disabled for people that do not use network functions or internet connection sharing and have systems with low ram.

2. for people with fairly descent ram and running on a network.

3. for people with low ram running on a network

etc .....

Edited by raymerjacque

Personally I dislike windows vista without superfetch, it makes it feel like xp, one of the things i love about vista is how snappy it is, i thought ah, use vlite to remove superfetch, sounds like a pointless idea, but it feels so much slower, reinstalled vista a day later as i found it to slow.

Not sure why everyone seems to hate it, sure it uses memory, but why have memory unused when it can be used?

Personally I dislike windows vista without superfetch, it makes it feel like xp, one of the things i love about vista is how snappy it is, i thought ah, use vlite to remove superfetch, sounds like a pointless idea, but it feels so much slower, reinstalled vista a day later as i found it to slow.

Not sure why everyone seems to hate it, sure it uses memory, but why have memory unused when it can be used?

if you not gaming then superfetch is awsome, if you are gaming then it is a b!tch and does more harm than good. and majority of home users nowadays game online or run hectic games like gothic 3 etc that runs like crap when you don't have that extra ram that prefetch uses. so it is all about preference really. but that is why most home users hates prefetch.