Vista RTM & Vista Retail

angel0104

It's my understanding that the RTM is released with fewer drivers to the manufacturer's and they add they own drivers for their systems and software offerings. The retail version is released with many more drivers included to cover a wide range of systems and configurations.

That's myth. The size and content are equal. Manufacturers can't add drivers or anything to installation media. They get an iso or img file from Microsoft to print on discs and don't have a right to modify it.

Errrrr......So, that means we are not sure if Vista RTM and Vista Retail are the same. i.e Both are identical, or RTM contains less drivers. This is interesting. I wonder if the extra drivers from the retail version can be added to the RTM version? I'll go google a bit regarding the sizes of the disks.....

Seems like there is huge debate regarding this on various forums. So, to prevent this thread going the same way....

1. There appears to be no difference between the RTM and Retail Versions.

2. However, the version that comes with a new PC, specifically the royalty OEM's will be different with regards to OEM pre-activation. Those disks will allow these pc's to pre-activate vista, while the other two vista versions won't. Also, these disks can also contain OEM specific drivers and OEM branding information.

There we go. :rolleyes:

Edited by vinodh

What sort of retail discs are we talking about here? I presume you mean full version, not the upgrade.

I only have access to the Vista ISO (my copy of Vista is a courtesy one from MS Connect), and that file size is 2,554.53 MB (X86), which 2.49GB. It would be handy if someone here could provide proof of Retail disc size.

retail Vs RTM

Retail: this was released on 30th january 2007 for the end user including we individuals

RTML: released on november 2006 for the big manufacturer

Both are final release( build 6000)

both are equally stable. thers no any further updates intregated in retail after release of RTM

if u got RTM and RETAIL in hand, and concerned which to install then retail will be ur choice, but but but ,, i don't say RETAIL is latest or stable in comparision with RTM.

The only fact is RETAIL is for end user.

Somebody posted: RETAIL got more drivers, updates, applications and stable

this is absouletely wrong.

the only changes in retail is few wallpapers and media center ondemand playback, but i think this is not gonna give u much difference.