Gosh Gosh, You Make Interesting Posts

Copied this from the other thread as it's unrelated

All the files on the XP cd are digitally signed by a catalog file (nt5.cat and sp1.cat).  If you edit one of the xp files and put it back in the i386 folder, nt5.cat and sp1.cat will see it's not digitally signed (because it isn't, the whole point of digital signing is to make sure the files are from the original source, not tampered with).  When a file is not digitally signed, xp setup will tell you this, and ask you if you want to retry copying the file, or continue anyway.  setuperr.log will log the invalid files.

If you don't believe me, copy a modified shell32.dll to i386 folder and install without an unattend file, you'll see what i mean.  When you use an unattend file and have FullUnattended, xp setup will not give errors.

-gosh

I have an XP CD that I made 12 months ago, that replaces most of the pretty files(bmp's, theme's, user dll's, etc) and some dll's that doesn't give the errors you mention even though it doesn't use a WINNT.SIF. See below for an image, thats how it looks on 1st boot after installing normally, no batchs or unattends.

Here is the setuperr.log from that install. If you notice that out of all the files I replaced (some 100+) it is only the dll's and exe's that get logged

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\logon.scr] is not signed properly
by Microsoft.  This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe] is not signed properly
by Microsoft.  This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\luna.msstyles] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\shell\normalcolor\shellstyle.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\shell\metallic\shellstyle.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll] is not signed properly

Copied this from the other thread as it's unrelated
All the files on the XP cd are digitally signed by a catalog file (nt5.cat and sp1.cat).  If you edit one of the xp files and put it back in the i386 folder, nt5.cat and sp1.cat will see it's not digitally signed (because it isn't, the whole point of digital signing is to make sure the files are from the original source, not tampered with).  When a file is not digitally signed, xp setup will tell you this, and ask you if you want to retry copying the file, or continue anyway.  setuperr.log will log the invalid files.

If you don't believe me, copy a modified shell32.dll to i386 folder and install without an unattend file, you'll see what i mean.  When you use an unattend file and have FullUnattended, xp setup will not give errors.

-gosh

I have an XP CD that I made 12 months ago, that replaces most of the pretty files(bmp's, theme's, user dll's, etc) and some dll's that doesn't give the errors you mention even though it doesn't use a WINNT.SIF. See below for an image, thats how it looks on 1st boot after installing normally, no batchs or unattends.

Here is the setuperr.log from that install. If you notice that out of all the files I replaced (some 100+) it is only the dll's and exe's that get logged

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\logon.scr] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\luna.msstyles] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\shell\normalcolor\shellstyle.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\shell\metallic\shellstyle.dll] is not signed properly

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll] is not signed properly

i said that not all files were not signed thnaks mate for cleaning that up!

:)

"ask you if you want to retry copying the file, or continue anyway"

Ahhh yeah I know, it was this bit I was saying I didn't get, sorry if you missed it.

there was actually more to the post but I edited it out so as not to be longwinded

By the way, gosh, quality posts you've been making, I prefer the editing of the actual cd contents, rather than changing them later.

The intent of my original post was just to point out that when you put custom files (such as shell32.dll) into your local source, you might get errors in setuperr.log and you might get a prompt during setup. My original post was not meant to be a discussion on how SFC works or digital signing. If i would have known people would be disecting my original post i would have posted disclaimers all over it such as "some files might not post errors in setuperr.log".

As for my quality posts, im glad you like me. If your interested email me for details on joining my fan club, i already have a couple members.

-gosh

My original post was not meant to be a discussion on how SFC works or digital signing.  If i would have known people would be disecting my original post i would have posted disclaimers all over  it such as "some files might not post errors in setuperr.log".

My apologies, I thought this is what a forum was for.