10yr old gets perfect score on math sat

ripken204

Was that the math on the SAT I or on the SAT II? SAT I is pretty simple, yet, I scored in the high 600s. :( But then again, I didn't prepare like most people in the States do, so.....

over here in the us theres only 1 sat but i believe your sat 1 is equivelent to our psat ,,

but any ways the kids obviously a number jocky, as for the reading level, truthfully thats not to bad, his score still rocks

my 1st SAT

No worries. I've known people who have gotten decent scores and gone back and taken the SATs again just to up their scores. Like you have pointed out, it isn't an one shot deal.

Do well.

DL

Sounds like that kid's a very good number cruncher.

Can I ask at what age do you take your SATs? In the UK, the SATs are what the younger year groups takes (there's the Key Stage 2 SATs and KS3). You are 11 when you take your KS2 SATs and 14 when you take the KS3 ones - UK Year 6 and Year 9 respectively. After the KS3 SATs you then move into KS4 and start GCSEs. After that you can move onto AS and A2 A-levels.

Our SATs are marked with an overall grade, not a points system. I think the grades you can get are 7 in English, 7 in Science and 8 in Maths (out of interest, I got 7,7,8). Level 4 is the average score at KS2, Level 5/6 is the average score at KS3. It's been a while so it might have changed since then.

What sort of score is good in your SATs? and whats the average?

well in the US for me at least, ive taken tests since about 6th. but they arnt called SAT. they were called CAT. in 10th+11th i took the PSAT. and im in 11th now and just took the SAT. for the US the first time you take the SAT is in the 11th grade. there are 3 parts to the SAT now, english, math, and writing. but only english and math really count, for those two the US average is a little above 1000/1600 , which is pretty horrible IMO. my goal is to get a 1400, but that english section might bring me down...

The only problem with testing in general, including tests like the *AT tests, is that they test on the basis of what you should have learned over your years in grammar and secondary school, rather than what you're capable of (some would consider this IQ) - not to mention that the tests are skewed towards secondary school students, as that is the required age and grade range to take almost all of the possible *AT tests (in the US). Almost anyone with a decent IQ and work ethic can study and do very well on a test, but only a few of those people can actually be given a problem scenario or task and figure it to it's conclusion. Logic tests like an IQ test pursue this somewhat, but they are still weighted by age and rely on a "one correct answer" test methodology, which can skew results somewhat. How many things in life are actually black and white, even in things like math, science, history, and language (latin notwithstanding)? Is this really a valid test scenario to judge "intelligence"? </sarcasm>

Case in point - I love seeing these TV specials (here in the US) where they put an adult of 30 or 40 against a schoolchild on a math or science exam, and the schoolchild scores higher (sometimes much higher) than the adult - and the claim is made that adult is not as smart as the child, because the child scored higher on a standardized test. Notwithstanding the fact that I am sure some of us may personally know adults that actually *are* less intelligent than most smart schoolchildren out there :), but let's call a spade a spade - the child does better because he's actively studying most of the things tested on, whereas the adult hasn't touched the stuff in 20 - 30 years (and unless he actually uses that math or science for his or her job, likely never will again). Does this make the child smarter than the adult? Or does it reinforce the idea that studying for tests and taking them is a less effective way to actually learn (as we see by the adult not remembering anything he "learned" as a child)? How many of us, who consider ourselves intelligent and smart, remember most of what we learned in grammar and secondary school? Or even college or University? If used on a daily basis, then yes, the knowledge is likely maintained - however, for the bulk of us who never really use any of the knowledge gained in gradeschool and secondary schools, the answer to that is probably little to none.

I will agree that forcing children to "learn" is a great way for most to boost intelligence and troubleshooting/problem-solving skills they'll need later in life, but as it's used nowadays to judge intelligence and "smarts", does a disservice to learning institutions everywhere (see the results of the "no child left behind act" on our US schoolsystems and schoolchildren today - ask the teachers specifically).

/me gets off soapbox

lol cluberti-that tv show is great

the only thing i dont like about the SAT is that it doesnt have anything on it that ive learned in the past 2 years...

the "hardest" math on the SAT was from my 9th grade when i took geometry. there is no trig or calc on the test, and i really think that there should be. i actually used some trig just for fun and of coarse i got the right answer :)