How To: Deploy A Custom Kernel

I am having a problem using this method with SP2 RC2. Everything installs and boots into Windows fine. Then I restart and I get an error saying ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. I tried the fix that microsoft suggests and it still didn't work. Eventually I found out that it was a problem with the boot.ini. I left these commands out of my next attempt:

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

and restarted without a problem. Now I don't have a custom boot screen though.

same here, BUT ONLY, if i use a custom bootscreen, or an old one.

if i EDIT the one that comes with SP2, and add my images to it, it works, BUT, the image starts showing fine, then, its colord go nuts, and the moving dots apear.

i don't really know what the problem is, the colors change, like when you have a 24 bit bitmap, and save it as a 16 bits one.

i tried using 16 and 24 bits bitmaps and the same thing happens.

what should i do ?

same problem here .. (on vmware though)

as mentioned earlier in this thread maybe it has to do something with hyperthreading

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem using this method with SP2 RC2. Everything installs and boots into Windows fine. Then I restart and I get an error saying ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. I tried the fix that microsoft suggests and it still didn't work. Eventually I found out that it was a problem with the boot.ini. I left these commands out of my next attempt:

bootcfg /Timeout 0

and restarted without a problem. Now I don't have a custom boot screen though.

same here, BUT ONLY, if i use a custom bootscreen, or an old one.

if i EDIT the one that comes with SP2, and add my images to it, it works, BUT, the image starts showing fine, then, its colord go nuts, and the moving dots apear.

i don't really know what the problem is, the colors change, like when you have a 24 bit bitmap, and save it as a 16 bits one.

i tried using 16 and 24 bits bitmaps and the same thing happens.

what should i do ?

OK, I think I found the answer to our problems. :rolleyes:

The ntfs.sys corrupt error is caused by useing the wrong version of ntoskrnl.exe.

For SP2 is should be version 5.1.2600.2180. If you use anything else, you will get that error.

Now, as for the color problems....

http://www.bootxp.net/ has a program that will take care of it for us (I havent tried it yet, but will soon)

If you want to do it yourself this guy has a great guide.

http://www.geocities.com/thejjoelc/XPbootcolors.html

It looks to be a royal pain in the tail section, especially if you have never done any hex editing (like me) but everything looks step by step, so Im gonna give it a try.

I have tried to implement a custom kernel install using gosh's method in my unattended DVd but, he does not say where I should put the file "bootlogo.cmd" to allow the winnt.sif changes to work. Where do I copy the file to?

Now in cmdlines.txt or the GuiRunOnce section of your unattend file, put this:

bootcfg /Timeout 0

In your unattend file, make sure you have this:

[unattended]UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

I am using the GuiRunOnce method.......here is the relevant snippet of my .sif file:

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   OemPnPDriversPath="DRIVERS\ATI\Driver\2KXP_INF\DRIVERS\ATI\BIN;DRIVERS\ATI\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_18414;DRIVERS\ATI\Driver\;DRIVERS\ATI\WDM\WDM_XP;DRIVERS\ATI\WDM;DRIVERS\ATI"
   UnattendSwitch="yes"
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GUIRunOnce]
    bootlogo.cmd

• 2 months later...

@Paul 365

As you said the ntoskrnl is different....

That is because you have a HT cpu an your Windows applies your multiprocessor Kernel...This is ntkrnlmp.exe renamed to ntoskrnl.exe during setup progress....

Your solution is to modify all your Kernels in i386 folder and sp2.cab and

re-apply them to your CD source....

During your new setup windows will rename YOUR modified ntkrnlmp to ntoskrnl and everything is going to work fine....

Regards

~`BorBoMoTSaLo~`

• 1 year later...

i wanna to know how to add lines to my cd

Now in cmdlines.txt or the GuiRunOnce section of your unattend file, put this:

bootcfg /Timeout 0

In your unattend file, make sure you have this:

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

i made my cd by Windows Unattended CD Creator and i have those java scripts RunOnceEx & konten

in my winnt.sif file

[GuiRunOnce]

"%windir%\RunOnceEx.js"

so how can i made that ???

• 2 months later...