How To: Deploy A Custom Kernel

my favorites adding the /sos switch to this line in boot.ini

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

watch windows load your drivers, check your drives and bosh into windows.. no stupid xp strobe bar

bored: you didnt mention if youre using xp home or pro, the command wont work on xp home. Also, are you literally putting the command into guirunonce, or using guirunonce to call a batch file with the command?

Numinous: sos displays the drivers for troubleshooting, but more times than not it's worthless because xp freezes on a driver before it's shown on the screen. If you want to bypass the boot logo try /noguiboot

-gosh

putting the command into guirunonce, or using guirunonce to call a batch file with the command

-gosh

can you show me the batch file to call this command :) (bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0)

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I modified ntoskrnl.exe, compressed it and overwrite the existing one in I386 directory. The issue is that when I do a clean install of XP Pro (booting from cd), after firs reboot it shows me the modified background but after 2nd restart (whed windows finish to install) the modified background doesn't apear. Instead it shows the default one like I never modified ntoskrnl.exe. Why?

My CD is almost ready, but I've 1 problem. When windows setup is ready, the PC wants to boot for the first time fully installed. But when I want to see the windows XP boot logo I get nothing, only a black screen with a white flashing underscore on the top left of my screen. And Windows doesn't boot.

Save mode doesn't work.

What did I do wrong?

Is there another way?

Ps: It worked in a VMware environment, but not in a normal mode.

• 3 months later...

I am having a problem using this method with SP2 RC2. Everything installs and boots into Windows fine. Then I restart and I get an error saying ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. I tried the fix that microsoft suggests and it still didn't work. Eventually I found out that it was a problem with the boot.ini. I left these commands out of my next attempt:

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

and restarted without a problem. Now I don't have a custom boot screen though.

• 3 weeks later...
I am having a problem using this method with SP2 RC2. Everything installs and boots into Windows fine. Then I restart and I get an error saying ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. I tried the fix that microsoft suggests and it still didn't work. Eventually I found out that it was a problem with the boot.ini. I left these commands out of my next attempt:

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

and restarted without a problem. Now I don't have a custom boot screen though.

same here, BUT ONLY, if i use a custom bootscreen, or an old one.

if i EDIT the one that comes with SP2, and add my images to it, it works, BUT, the image starts showing fine, then, its colord go nuts, and the moving dots apear.

i don't really know what the problem is, the colors change, like when you have a 24 bit bitmap, and save it as a 16 bits one.

i tried using 16 and 24 bits bitmaps and the same thing happens.

what should i do ?

• 2 weeks later...

@demlak - BTW, using a computer is a security risk too, but no one on this forum has informed me of that one either :no: AND for reference purposes, the last time I checked the ntoskrnl.exe file, it didn't have any security flaws that would compromise anything. Gosh was simply implying that if a Patch, Update, Service Pack, Rollup, or anything updated that file, that the OEMkrnl.exe file would still be useable and you wouldn't have to re-edit the ntoskrnl.exe file. As a final note, even if you weren't trying to offend anybody, you should be a little nicer with your remarks seeing as how you're a Junior Member and Gosh is a highly respectable member of the MSFN community who has contributed quite a lot of his knowledge and resources so people like you and I could have half a clue :blink:

@demlak - BTW, using a computer is a security risk too, but no one on this forum has informed me of that one either AND for reference purposes, the last time I checked the ntoskrnl.exe file, it didn't have any security flaws that would compromise anything. Gosh was simply implying that if a Patch, Update, Service Pack, Rollup, or anything updated that file, that the OEMkrnl.exe file would still be useable and you wouldn't have to re-edit the ntoskrnl.exe file. As a final note, even if you weren't trying to offend anybody, you should be a little nicer with your remarks seeing as how you're a Junior Member and Gosh is a highly respectable member of the MSFN community who has contributed quite a lot of his knowledge and resources so people like you and I could have half a clue.

I agree and will add that using Windows in any form is a security risk. All hail SuSe. :thumbup:thumbup