Is there a substitute for RunOnceEx status window?

Hello!

I'm able to install all my apps during vista setup using RunSychronous command, so I konw how to do that. That's not the problem. But I miss a status window during software installation like RunOnceEx gave me under XP, before the rnonce.dll problem was brouhgt up by IE7 installation.

So the same problem with rnonce.dll does exist under vista. I've tested that already.

Does anybody know if there is a substitute for RunOnceEx status window under Vista without using 3rd party software?

Thanks n regards,

Martin

yes

Untested on a UA but I do use a method with the UnattendXP app

by copy the XP iernonce.dll and using separately it will still work after IE7

just place it somewhere local to your scripts and call it by full path

yes

Untested on a UA but I do use a method with the UnattendXP app

by copy the XP iernonce.dll and using separately it will still work after IE7

just place it somewhere local to your scripts and call it by full path

Could you elaborate a little more. I'd really like the same thing but am unclear on your instructions.

Thanks

You can call iernonce.dll using the following command:

start /wait rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

But it's not a build in method for Vista.

I would like to know if there is any side effect using IE6 iernonce.dll in Vista. I've no problem with this workaround under XP. But Vista is not XP...

Regards,

Martin

Not quite, I said FULL Path to your included iernonce.dll

rundll32.exe E:\VistaUA\Utilz\iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

IE7 cripples the iernonce.dll, on purpose? most probably as its similar to comctl32.dll in 95 went to crashing and people freaked and went out and bought 98, duh, restore a diff version of dll and all was fine again. I wouldn't do that in Vista but just run it separately as my example.

Yes it works here, is it going to start the world turning backwards, I doubt it. All it does is call the runonce key.

Not quite, I said FULL Path to your included iernonce.dll

rundll32.exe E:\VistaUA\Utilz\iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

IE7 cripples the iernonce.dll, on purpose? most probably as its similar to comctl32.dll in 95 went to crashing and people freaked and went out and bought 98, duh, restore a diff version of dll and all was fine again. I wouldn't do that in Vista but just run it separately as my example.

Yes it works here, is it going to start the world turning backwards, I doubt it. All it does is call the runonce key.

Thanks for the information. Could you tell me when and where to call this command?

I still do not understand the sense of removing this status window. MS brought out a patch to keep RunOnceEx in function but you have to use a key, which disable the status window, to get it working again. That's very strange to me.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

Could you tell me when and where to call this command?

Where do you need it? If you're doing Unattendeds then your very best bet is to use <FirstLogonCommands>

But you want the status window and you said you know how to

I'm able to install all my apps during vista setup using RunSychronous command

well that has no staus window. So you can build your Runoncex cmd and call it with FirstLogonCommands which allows everything like you was the actual Admin and try that

Could you tell me when and where to call this command?

Where do you need it? If you're doing Unattendeds then your very best bet is to use <FirstLogonCommands>

But you want the status window and you said you know how to

well that has no staus window. So you can build your Runoncex cmd and call it with FirstLogonCommands which allows everything like you was the actual Admin and try that

Thanks for the help. I said the first thing you quoted but not the second. That was OP. I am doing unattends. So if I run my Runoncex.cmd like I have setup for XP in <FirstLogonCommands>, do I also run the

start /wait rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

in the <FirstLogonCommands> or where do I call that.

Thanks again for the help. I'm just starting to unattend Vista and am to the point where I need to put in the custum applications and I like the way it looked in XP.

shinscreen

<FirstLogonCommands> you add to your xml. It calls a .cmd file where you will run those things from at the first lofon of your user. easiest example is try my app out and it creates a Firstlogon.cmd and places everything. I don't use RunOnceExProcess in that because there is no need with my app.

Although if you look at the Appswitch.dat file everything there is in a runoncex format, slightly altered where you can add anything to it in alphabetical order and it adds your numbers in order you select applications. Thats what I've stuck with just slightly changing the way its handled between XP and Vista

I copy wallpapers, fonts, and start my application to install all the applications from Firstlogon.cmd. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=93215

You can alter that adding a call to a command file with your runoncex file. I think its even possible to make this Firstlogon.cmd the actual runoncex.cmd. But we are in Vista so I named it Firstlogon

• 4 weeks later...

Hello maxXPsoft!

That is true for oobeSystem pass only. After doing further tests now, I've recognized that a status window is comming up for me during auditUser but not during oobeSystem pass.

But I've not tested yet all kind of different combinations...

Regards,

Martin

• 7 months later...