Shell32.dll

open command prompt and do this:

makecab shell32.dll

make sure that command prompt is pointing to the directory where the shell32.dll is and then place it in the i386 directory of your XPCD.

Note make sure the file you place in the i386 dir is the cab file you just made.

You'll need to delete shell32.dl_ from the i386 folder, and copy your shell32.dll to the flat. In your unattend file you'll need to have driversigning=ignore otherwise it'll tell you during setup that the file is not digitally signed.

Another way is you could do an OEMPreinstall and put shell32.dll into the $OEM$\system32 folder, and in your unattend file put OEMPreinstall=Yes and OEMSkipEULA=Yes

-gosh

yes I did that thanks gosh.

Now I`m having trouble to understand the Theme changing option!

(I promise no more questions after this.....hopefully.) :)

CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\MyTheme.theme" <----

Let's say I put the Mytheme.theme under \install\themes

How do I link it in the Winnt.sif file......??

Thanks

You'll need to delete shell32.dl_ from the i386 folder, and copy your shell32.dll to the flat.  In your unattend file you'll need to have driversigning=ignore otherwise it'll tell you during setup that the file is not digitally signed.

Another way is you could do an OEMPreinstall and put shell32.dll into the $OEM$\system32 folder, and in your unattend file put OEMPreinstall=Yes and OEMSkipEULA=Yes

-gosh

Shell32.dll does not have a digitally sig on it.

you got the winnt.sif bit right all you need in the winnt.sif is that bit for your theme file as long as it is not a .mssyltes theme file.

if you put you theme under install\themes then add a command that gets your setup method to copy the theme to the "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes" folder on the C:\ drive

"%WinDir%\Resources\Themes"

just use that if your are using the batch file method and it will work.

All the files on the XP cd are digitally signed by a catalog file (nt5.cat and sp1.cat). If you edit one of the xp files and put it back in the i386 folder, nt5.cat and sp1.cat will see it's not digitally signed (because it isn't, the whole point of digital signing is to make sure the files are from the original source, not tampered with). When a file is not digitally signed, xp setup will tell you this, and ask you if you want to retry copying the file, or continue anyway. setuperr.log will log the invalid files.

If you don't believe me, copy a modified shell32.dll to i386 folder and install without an unattend file, you'll see what i mean. When you use an unattend file and have FullUnattended, xp setup will not give errors.

-gosh

All the files on the XP cd are digitally signed by a catalog file (nt5.cat and sp1.cat).  If you edit one of the xp files and put it back in the i386 folder, nt5.cat and sp1.cat will see it's not digitally signed (because it isn't, the whole point of digital signing is to make sure the files are from the original source, not tampered with).  When a file is not digitally signed, xp setup will tell you this, and ask you if you want to retry copying the file, or continue anyway.  setuperr.log will log the invalid files.

If you don't believe me, copy a modified shell32.dll to i386 folder and install without an unattend file, you'll see what i mean.  When you use an unattend file and have FullUnattended, xp setup will not give errors.

-gosh

i was the first to replace stuff in the i386 directory and SOME files are signed but not all files the important ones like scf_os.dll, uxtheme.dll if all files were signed then how can i replace notepad, explorer, iexplore, shell32.dll and some on which i had done.

Can you send or post a copy of that log so i can see it as all my logs get deleted when i run my install update

Some of the files I've tested, such as UXTHEME.DL_, WINNTBBU.DL_ and NOTEPAD.EX_ (replaced with a metapad executable) doesn't prompt any errors during Setup. Setuperr.log shows the errors, but has installed the modified files anyway.

As we discovered, some files will halt setup and some won't. I will need to make a working list of files that are ok to modify, as DaveXP has tested several of them.