Help With Hotfixes

Can't copy svcpack.inf? Might have something to do with how Notepad encoded it, or a bad burn. But try downloading mine and editing it.

I've tested again using a fresh WinXP SP1 CD and followed through the guide and didn't get any problems at all.

In DOSNET.inf I placed:

[OptionalSrcDirs]

svcpack

under

[Directories]

Can't copy svcpack.inf? Might have something to do with how Notepad encoded it, or a bad burn. But try downloading mine and editing it.

i was using yours lol

OK i took the svcpack.inf that was in my svcpack folder and ran makecab on it from cmd prompt and replaced the one in i386 folder with this.

now it works fine hooray

Followed all the new instructions for the hotfixes, but when I tried my XP CD, it seemed stuck at the "Setup will complete in approximately: 13 minutes" for about 45 minutes.

Well, there was Hard Drive activity, but it seemed to be going through an endless loop... Then, after 45 minutes or so, it continued installing.

Any idea about whether this is normal?

I had deleted the SVCPACK.IN_ file from I386 folder, and am wondering if maybe I should makecab my svcpack.inf file like rstryker suggested, and place that copy in I386 folder...?

hey, rstryker

OK i took the svcpack.inf that was in my svcpack folder and ran makecab on it from cmd prompt and replaced the one in i386 folder with this.

Sorry for the stupid question, what do you mean by "ran makecab on it from cdm prompt and replaced the one in i386 folder" ?

makecab is a compression tool included in Windows XP.

Open Command Prompt and browse to the folder where svcpack.inf is:

CD C:\XPCD\I386\

makecab svcpack.inf SVCPACK.IN_

delete svcpack.inf from the i386 directory.

CD C:\XPCD\I386\

makecab svcpack.inf SVCPACK.IN_

delete svcpack.inf from the i386 directory.

WHOOOAH!

Does this mean that this method is prefered over just DELETING the original SVCPACK.IN_, and placing svcpack.inf in the I386 Directory?

In other words, should we just place our new, modified SVCPACK.IN_ INSTEAD of svcpack.inf in the I386 folder?

Thanks for all your help, AaronXP. I WAS using Virtual PC in my tests, so I am glad to know that real installations won't hang as long at the 13 minute wait point!

Your first 2 sentences are correct, I made this change in the guide because some people had probs (even though I didn't). but it won't eliminate the long wait at the 13min stage as hotfixes do take a while to install.

The Rollup Update is due soon, and gosh has made a slipstream guide which works well (for the beta), so once its out I'll put the guide up. Slipstreaming the rollup takes no time at all, so the 13 min hang on a few other hotfixes not included in the rollup will only take a few mins.

• 2 years later...
Guest Zero Tolerance

Hi,

when using rc7 this problem still exists.

However, when i only use "normal" hotfixes there's no problem. Only when adding "programs" like acrobat reader, winrar etc (or Ryan's pack) the install hangs for a long time.

Is there a workaround?

I'd like to test my XP-cd in VMware before I use it on a real computer.

Greetz,

Zero T