A good tip, how to speed up your instalation of WinXP

Borec

bledd, you are right, but 7z needs more resources to extract.

Kiki Burgh, I was about to send a personal message to you but I can't :(

This message can not be sent because the recipient's inbox is full.

Delete something :P

if it's in store mode, then it won't be compressed, so cpu usage to unpack is very low and it does it quickly

@Borec

You can find updated drivers without setup package (and control panel) on the internet. For example, many can be found at the windows update website if you use the administrator download option.

Thans hulkviper,

I used to have Everest now I use Belarc Advisor - it shows me also hotfixes I need acording to M$ buletin,

but the question is - how to extract the drivers from my "running" windows, or find the names of the drivers it's the same.

I can easily find drivers (using the program Dualdriver) for: grafic card - nv4_disp.ini, nv4_disp.dll, nv4_mini.sys (geforce2 - my hardware is really old :-) - thanks nlite it works well)

sound card - wdma_cwr.inf, cwrwdm.sys

Wi-fi - wlanCIG.inf, wlanCIG.sys (Btw.: It's my internet connection - It's a czech speciality - 60% wi-fi connections in EU is in czech :-) thanks our beloved monopol of the former Czech Telecom :-) )

Btw. it's not signed by M$ - I have this driver (for wi-fi card on a CD but I'm not sure, if I will integrate it by nlite - whether there will not some reports during windows installation - which "destroy" my unattended mode)

...but that's all - for example the printers - I have a printer dated to 1999 :-) and the driver is only in the windows install, the manufacturer (HP) does't offer this driver anymore. But I'm not able to find out, what files in my system are used by it. And speak nothing of pdf print support issue ...

(30 MB saved by removing printer drivers - it's a pity)

Also I'm not able to find out what files in my system are used by chipset (VIA).

Perhaps drivers used by processor, disks, cd, monitor, ... - they are same for all types of these devices? (for example - machine.inf, disk.inf, flpydisk.inf)

I speculate about to remove all drivers, that nlite offers to remove and then install all devices from my original Windows CD - but it's a bit uncomfortable.

You said: most drivers you can download include a separate folder with only driver files, with no additional software.

Check inf file what files are copied, then you can include only driver files.

- but if I've tried to separate only driver files (e. g. for my grafic card I need nv4_disp.ini, nv4_disp.dll, nv4_mini.sys) it gave me an error ...

I think the inf file is different from the one in Windows - there are probably links to the conrol panel, ... and I'm not able to edit this inf file

and delete it. Maybe you are able, I'm not.

I would never recommend to just take certain files as you do now.

You never know what file is used for what task!

About your printer drivers, try google :)

Just take the files located in the same folder as the inf files, otherwise you can mess up your system.

I know you can't do that with nvidia, coz all are mixed together in 1 folder.

I had nvidia before.

I did like this:

When you install drivers for your nvidia card, the drivers are automatcly saved in a folder in Windows.

Now this is the part where my memory fails me :(

I think the folder is named Reinstall, not sure though.

But I am sure it starts with R and is located in C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\system32

In that folder, you can see more folders

starts with

continues with, 001, 002, 003, 004 and so on.........

one of these includes your nvidia drivers

This will allmost work.

But there are additional required files.

So I copied every loaded nvidia file from C:\WINDOWS\system32 to the copy of the nvidia folder (one of the 000, 001, 002, 003, 004 folders)

Most files if not all that start with nv in C:\WINDOWS\system32 are of nvidia.

If the file is loaded or not you can see by trying to delete it.

This will work for you I think :)

bledd, you are right, but 7z needs more resources to extract.

if it's in store mode, then it won't be compressed, so cpu usage to unpack is very low and it does it quickly

Right, but no need for 7z, no difference if it is 7zip or cab if it's uncompressed....

I see your point, faster to copy 1 file than many files.

By default the windows source has 2 files, driver.cab and sp2.cab

Whats the default compression, are these 2 files highly compressed?

Edited by hulkviper

Kiki Burgh, I was about to send a personal message to you but I can't :(

This message can not be sent because the recipient's inbox is full.

Delete something :P

my apologies ... all sent items deleted ... i shall be waiting for your pm ... thanks hulkviper! :)