Windows Vista Boot Image

Freakboyza

Can anybody help me go get a Vista boot image. Our MD "lost" our DVD the weekend, so we only have the DVD dump on our server and not an ISO file :}

I know how to create a bootable DVD, but I don't have the boot image. I tried a WinXP and Win2000 boot image, but no joy. The disk keeps coming up with the following error: "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR" . The DVD had the 2GB+ file on the disk, so I need to burn the DVD using UDF format, but I need the correct boot image.

Can someone please point me to a site where I can dl the boot image, or can someone upload the image and post the website or PM the address please.

Thanx in advance

I got the whole DVD dumped into a folder named "Vista DVD" on our server. The file structure and files are untouched. I checked the total file sizes to the DVD file sizes and it was an 100% match, and the same amount of files are in the folder as was on the DVD.

I don't have the DVD anymore, the MD "lost" it at home...

Can anybody help me go get a Vista boot image. Our MD "lost" our DVD the weekend, so we only have the DVD dump on our server and not an ISO file :}

I know how to create a bootable DVD, but I don't have the boot image. I tried a WinXP and Win2000 boot image, but no joy. The disk keeps coming up with the following error: "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR" . The DVD had the 2GB+ file on the disk, so I need to burn the DVD using UDF format, but I need the correct boot image.

Can someone please point me to a site where I can dl the boot image, or can someone upload the image and post the website or PM the address please.

Thanx in advance

After my posting the message below, i saw THIS:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=86461&hl= (Post 17, at Bottom)

i think i would try it FIRST...

===============================================

If -i- were in your position, what -i- would try is this:

1. enable hidden files, system files, etc. so that i can see -everything-

2. then i'd burn an installable DVD using the file "BOOTSECT.BAK" as the boot image.

Note: i would be doing this "by the seat of my pants" - which means "guessing".

3. This file is in the root of my C: (install) drive, for my copy of Vista beta of Premium.

4. its 8KB big = 16 sectors, which seems favorable for a CD/DVD boot...

5. I do -NOT- have vista installed on my computer, but i -do- have it installed under MS VirtualPC 2007.

6. Also, I have DVDs of 32bit and 64bit V. premium, RC-1, but these may differ from "released" versions.

7. Be extra --careful-- with Vista hard disk boot-sectors. It has a TOTALLY different format from XP, etc.

You need a special Vista program to deal with it, called "BCDEDIT.EXE".

8. Root of beta DVD only has file: BOOTMGR, no ntldr. Same with Virtual PC root files.

9. Is yours 32bit or 64bit (which has even -different- boot sector format) ?

Also note that the CD/DVD boot is different than the hard-drive boot...

good luck

Edited by chuckr

Thanx in advance

After my posting the message below, i saw THIS:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=86461&hl= (Post 17, at Bottom)

i think i would try it FIRST...

===============================================

If -i- were in your position, what -i- would try is this:

1. enable hidden files, system files, etc. so that i can see -everything-

2. then i'd burn an installable DVD using the file "BOOTSECT.BAK" as the boot image.

Note: i would be doing this "by the seat of my pants" - which means "guessing".

3. This file is in the root of my C: (install) drive, for my copy of Vista beta of Premium.

4. its 8KB big = 16 sectors, which seems favorable for a CD/DVD boot...

5. I do -NOT- have vista installed on my computer, but i -do- have it installed under MS VirtualPC 2007.

6. Also, I have DVDs of 32bit and 64bit V. premium, RC-1, but these may differ from "released" versions.

7. Be extra --careful-- with Vista hard disk boot-sectors. It has a TOTALLY different format from XP, etc.

You need a special Vista program to deal with it, called "BCDEDIT.EXE".

8. Root of beta DVD only has file: BOOTMGR, no ntldr. Same with Virtual PC root files.

9. Is yours 32bit or 64bit (which has even -different- boot sector format) ?

Also note that the CD/DVD boot is different than the hard-drive boot...

good luck

Tried the Bootsect.bak file, didnt work, but thanx anyway for the suggestion. I'm still trying to get a extracted Vists DVD boot image from somewhere, but Google doesn't help that much :}

then don't get worried

vista original format is UDF, so u need to creat a UDF format ISO image with the help of cdimage or oscdimg

Here i am going with oscdimg { coz i already got success with this method, and i am sure u will get too..}

i assume ur Vista sorce is inside E:\vistaDVD

then ur command line to build ur original vistaDVD will be

oscdimg -bE:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD E:\vistaDVD\ D:\VistaDVD.iso

Download oscdimg

Here,

boot info is given by =E:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com

Vol label = VISTA_EN_DVD

source = E:\vistaDVD

Output ISO = D:\vistaDVD.iso

Output image can be burn on DVD

PS: if u want ur additional softwares/tweaks/updates to be included on the DVD, simply create folder inside ur vistaDVD folder source eg. [e:\vistaDVD\myupdates]. It will be included while compiling the ISO.

cheers

:thumbup

Edited: typos

Edited by Nepali

This is the type of situation I always guard against.

I always create a BCDW multiboot image using bbie from Bart's site. Always include a boot manager & partition manager in the boot options.

The actual boot loader is 2048 bytes only. Rest of it is all available from the files copied from the DVD.

PM me if you need this file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I used ur method Nepali on a purchased Download version of windows Vista ... I get stuck on the input Product Key screen ... when I click next it doesn't freeze exactly it just doesn't go to the next step ... It stays like this indefinitely ... What could be the problem ? I also tried using CDImage Gui Beta3 method also Nada ... So Did I with CDImage .... None worked all give me same result ... And plz don't tell me to re-download install.wim it took me 4 days to download on my tiny 128kbps connection .... :blushing::wacko::crazy:

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I've tried your method, too.

I am stucking at first on the Programm oscdimg.exe...i've loeaded it from the link above but when i want to start it with double click it opens for only 1 sec then it closes itself.

i tried the programm CDImage GUI Beta which is based on cdimage.exe...it works but i dont know what boot.bin file have to choose???

Can somebody help me please??

thx

• 7 months later...
then don't get worried

vista original format is UDF, so u need to creat a UDF format ISO image with the help of cdimage or oscdimg

Here i am going with oscdimg { coz i already got success with this method, and i am sure u will get too..}

i assume ur Vista sorce is inside E:\vistaDVD

then ur command line to build ur original vistaDVD will be

oscdimg -bE:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD E:\vistaDVD\ D:\VistaDVD.iso

Download oscdimg

Here,

boot info is given by =E:\vistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com

Vol label = VISTA_EN_DVD

source = E:\vistaDVD

Output ISO = D:\vistaDVD.iso

Output image can be burn on DVD

PS: if u want ur additional softwares/tweaks/updates to be included on the DVD, simply create folder inside ur vistaDVD folder source eg. [e:\vistaDVD\myupdates]. It will be included while compiling the ISO.

cheers

:thumbup

Edited: typos

I keep getting an error "Could not delet thte existing file C:\...\boot\ Error number 5" Anyone else had this problem using oscdimg? working under vista ultimate. tried running as admin but still won't work? Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
oscdimg is not working :realmad: . it opens for one second then it closes. what can i do to fix this problem?

Are you double clicking on it? :w00t:

OSCDIMG is a command line app.

http://commandwindows.com/

Open a command console.

Navigate to the directory where OSCDIMG is:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490875.aspx

Type OSCDIMG /? and press the [ENTER] key.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz