Vista is very disappointing

Mister Brian

I have a high-end rig, and I don't like to wait more milliseconds than necessary for the computer to respond to my input.

I thought I'd try Vista, because Superfetch and the futureproof nature of Vista appeal to me. Using vLite and disabling Services, I was able to get it down to 280MB RAM used at idle. Naturally, I've disabled drive indexing and Aero. It looks and feels like a bloated version of XP, and it takes four times as long as XP to boot up.

Am I missing some opportunity to lighten Vista up? Can you get it to boot in less than 90 seconds (on a 2.2GHz dual core machine with a 50MB/s hard drive and 2GB RAM)? Note that I removed pretty much everything vLite could remove, until it fit on a CD.

thats why i will install xp again

i got a pertium E6600 (2.4 dual core), 2gb ram, geforce 7950GT and i was using vista HOME BASIC, which is the lightest version of vista

Edited by cafeh

I really wanted to like Vista. Over the last year, while the usual "Microsoft SUX, Vista is a bloated pig" naysayers were clogging forums, I adopted a wait and see attitude. Well, I did gave it a fair shake. I have a "4" rating on the Windows Experience Index: 4 on the CPU, 4.5 on RAM, 5.9 and 5.5 respectively on graphics, and 5.9 on hard drive. Disappointing would be an understatement. I know my processor only just makes the grade, but still....I would have expected the Aero experience to be a bit more responsive with my graphics rating. It's like Mr. Brain said...you end up waiting additional milliseconds for everything...it's pathetic. I almost upgraded to dual core, but apparently that would have been a waste of money. In addition, Vista doesn't support my hardware accelerated onboard network card, my onboard HW accelerated sound card, and apparently, video HW acceleration isn't working either. So, downloading four threads of Usenet and listening to music can take 40-50% of cpu. And multi-tasking? Forget it. It's a no-brainer for me...I'm back on XP, which absolutely screams in comparison. There is one thing that Vista does faster though...saving an edited mpeg2 video file, which takes no re-encoding in my instance, is inexplicably about two-thirds faster in Vista. Apparently my RAID 0 is much more efficient in Vista.

I dunno what you guys did to have a bad working vista..maybe you never reformatted your hd and maybe your disk is full with virusses or maybe you disabled wrong and necesary functions..cause my version of Vlite runs fast and stable ..but i install good protection before entering the net or installing programs.

It seems your version of windows vista isnt a good one?? just suggesting some things here.

The v-lite version i made is 777mb and installed about 3000mb ..and in some way i disabled the right things to have it running the way it does!

So maybe you could post your selections in Vlite you made??

Vista runs very good on a pentium4 Comaq Evo with 745mb ram (some mb's are used for my video card)

You should also disable the search option in Vlite composing part - cause that slows down the system bad..i have the idea that a log file is beeing sent to some server spying on what users look for..i try to block those things with bitdefender10 pro internet security..finaly also available for windows vista !

Dont use any other virusscanner as norton or avg and rubish like that !

Also make sure you disabled windows defender when you install bitdefender although you will see that option when installing bitdefender!

Dont let programs do whatever they wish on your pc and take imidiant controle !

Good luck!

post-129091-1172772438_thumb.jpg

Vista's gonna be more used around sp1.

When vista becomes norm, I bet 64bit and 4GB will be too.

I know bootup is long, but on all my systems, I leave the glass effects and all, I find it faster than xp, in terms of loading stuff and a prefetch xp.

But I got a raid, so that could be why, doubt it though.

Am I missing some opportunity to lighten Vista up? Can you get it to boot in less than 90 seconds (on a 2.2GHz dual core machine with a 50MB/s hard drive and 2GB RAM)? Note that I removed pretty much everything vLite could remove, until it fit on a CD.

I get that in 47 second of booting vista display user desktop, i think it's because system drive is defragmented with O&O Defrag

P.S. 32bit Vista Ultimate without any vLite :rolleyes:

Edited by ensueno

I am running a liscensed copy of Business RTM which I got courtesy of the university that I attend. I wonder if there is a difference between RTM and retail? BTW, Studio48, clean install on RAID O discs. With Vlite, I removed all drivers except LAN, which is only device Vista natively supports. I removed games and all multimedia, but left nearly all services and network options alone, so as not to delete something needed. I suspect my CPU is just too slow.

I'm running Vista Home Basic on the laptop in my signature. It boots in around 35 seconds. It's not that long to boot at all for me. However, once it's at the desktop. It gets a little slow for about 1 minute or so, then it picks back up and is alright.

My Celeron M 430 1.73GHz runs it pretty good IMO

I am running a liscensed copy of Business RTM which I got courtesy of the university that I attend. I wonder if there is a difference between RTM and retail? BTW, Studio48, clean install on RAID O discs. With Vlite, I removed all drivers except LAN, which is only device Vista natively supports. I removed games and all multimedia, but left nearly all services and network options alone, so as not to delete something needed. I suspect my CPU is just too slow.

RTM = Retail = Final = Gold = whatever else you can think of that's related so no, there's no difference between them.

I am running a liscensed copy of Business RTM which I got courtesy of the university that I attend. I wonder if there is a difference between RTM and retail? BTW, Studio48, clean install on RAID O discs. With Vlite, I removed all drivers except LAN, which is only device Vista natively supports.

I would like to see the saved file of V-lite to see whats slowing the system down..

It should run fast ..i disabled some things aswel in services -i would like to see the set up if possible !

i love vista after vlite and a few services shut down i got it to run just as fast as xp. on boot it only uses 13% of ram just like my had my xp no complaints here with it love it and never going back to xp =] plus well i have to start getting use to vista since well its only os supporting dx10

every operating system made by microsoft, will run at an acceptable speed only after it's first service pack :rolleyes:

every operating system made by microsoft, will be without the bloat in the server edition.

Namely, Windows Server 2008 (presently named Codename Longhorn Server).

I never used XP, I switched directly from 2000 to Server 2003. Some of you may know why :sneaky: I plan to do the same with Vista and use Server 2008 instead, as soon as I can get some of Vista components to work on it.