Infected Machine?

WDGC

An acquaintance has a laptop which has been connected to the internet with a dialup connection three times over the past three days and shows what, to me, are disturbing usage figures:

Day 1 - time connected 10 hours, download 20MB, upload 103MB

Day 2 - time connected 1 hour, download 5MB, upload 13MB

Day 3 - time connected 6 hours, download 46MB, upload 17MB

During these sessions, so I'm informed, the machine was mostly not being used by the owner, hence my concern when I saw the usage figures - especially the upload ones.

I haven't any particular knowledge or experience in these matters, but it seems to me as though the machine is "owned".

I'd appreciate the views of others regarding this, as because the system isn't showing any obvious signs of being infected, the owner isn't overly concerned.

It definantly sounds like Malware. Either that or whoever was using it was uploading websites or something like that.

Malware of some variety would seem most likely. As I said when starting this thread:

During these sessions, so I'm informed, the machine was mostly not being used by the owner, hence my concern when I saw the usage figures - especially the upload ones.

Since last posting I have learned the OS is still SP1 and has been running without a Firewall or A-V software since an OS reinstallation about a month ago. Enough said.

An OS clean install, appropriate updating, ... is now the order of the day.

Thank you to all respondents.