Installing older programs under 64 bit

ButchN

I have an old Win 95 program I still use because I prefer it & it worked great for 98, 98 SE & XP.

Now trying to install it under Vista Ultimate 64 bit it won't let me.

My error message is:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.

Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, then contact the software publisher."

Needless to say, support for this software, Norton Navigator, has long since been discontinued.

Yeah, I still use it because I like it better than Explorer.

So how does one install older programs under this 64 bit OS?

Thanks.

It's not the age of the app per se, but rather that it's a 16-bit app. 64-bit Windows does not run 16-bit Windows programs. At all.

If you REALLY need to run it, and you cannot let it go, either don't use a 64-bit OS, or configure a virtual install of a 32-bit OS for your app.

It's not the age of the app per se, but rather that it's a 16-bit app. 64-bit Windows does not run 16-bit Windows programs. At all.

If you REALLY need to run it, and you cannot let it go, either don't use a 64-bit OS, or configure a virtual install of a 32-bit OS for your app.

I just tried to install a few other older programs, like Ulead photo Impact, I like it better than the bloated Photoshop, & get the same error.

Obviously getting a 32 bit OS is futile with HP, so how does one configure a virtual install?

Or, there's no way around installing older programs under 64 bit, at all?

It's not backwards compatible?

If the application is 16bit, or it's 32bit but has a 16bit installer (there are some exceptions, but they're VERY rare), then no. x64 versions of Windows are not capable of executing 16bit code at all - they can run 32bit code, but not 16bit.

I just tried to install a few other older programs, like Ulead photo Impact, I like it better than the bloated Photoshop, & get the same error.

You should talk to the Ulead people then, as PhotoImpact 12 is Vista compatible with a patch.

http://www.ulead.com/tech/pi/pi_ftp.htm

There is simply NO 16-bit support, at all. The code to do doesn't exist in Vista x64 (or XP64).