Unexplaned reboots

tech_boy

hey gang

when im happily working away on my pc (doesnt happen too often) my computer will cut out and reboot for no reason, it doesnt shut itself down properly, it just cuts out and reboots, rather annoying! i've checked my hard drive using 'seatools' and i've checked all the power connections but i cant find a solution, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, jonny

Test your RAM with MemTest.

Try a different known-good working PSU if available.

Make sure your motherboard is properly seated to ensure that nothing is shorting out and causing reboot.

Do a fully updated spyware scan with Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D, as well as anti-virus scan with a trial version of Kaspersky and/or NOD32. It is possible you have a trojan horse that is sending a reboot command.

If you're getting a very brief blue screen before the crash:

click Start, then right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Select the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

In there, untick the "Automatically restart" option.

Next time you get a crash, you'll have a nice blue screen giving you some scary looking details as to why it crashed. If they don't make sense, post them on here.

D

If it's not a bluescreen, then it's most likely hardware.

First things to check:

-Temperatures (although newer systems will throttle speeds as opposed to a flat out restart)

-PSU

-RAM

-Everything is properly seated

-Mobo (if you can)

Faulty PSUs can cause unexpected behaviour, much like the kind you're seeing here. What make of PSU is it that you have? In fact... if you can, list all your hardware. :)

That's typical when overclocking your processor and don't test it with Prime95. :rolleyes:

You must test it with Prime95 first before you do anything else!

Otherwise, don't complain to people if you get a BSOD and reboot.

That's typical when overclocking your processor and don't test it with Prime95. :rolleyes:

You must test it with Prime95 first before you do anything else!

Otherwise, don't complain to people if you get a BSOD and reboot.

That's awfully presumptuous. Did he say anything about being overclocked? You're deeming him guilty until proven innocent when it's supposed to be the other way around.

I take that on board, if/ when i overclock my processor, i shall test it with prime95 and i wont complain if it BSODs.

Thanks Cluberti... i'll do a memory dump tonight when i get in, and send you it tomorrow, I'll also list my hardware tomorrow when i FINALLY escape the office!!

thanks again guys, awesome responses!!

jonny :thumbup

I had an issue similar to this and mine turned out to be the hard drive itself. I had tested it numerous times with diagnostics software and it always passed. After changing every other component, I tried an old hard drive. It has worked fine ever since.

I had an issue similar to this and mine turned out to be the hard drive itself. I had tested it numerous times with diagnostics software and it always passed. After changing every other component, I tried an old hard drive. It has worked fine ever since.

With a few hundred hours troubleshooting just such problems, I'd have to concur that it's most likely a hardware problem.

There is an undocumented keyboard sequence on some computers, that will cause windows to do a crash shutdown.

I had that once myself.

Also any bad keyboard or mouse will do it too. Those are usually easy enough to replace, for troubleshooting purposes anyway.

Even a dirty ram stick can cause it. The list just goes on and on. :blink:

Good Luck,

OG