Other Folders for $OEM$

$OEM$\$$\System32 = System 32 folder in the windir

$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper = places your wallpapers in the wallpaper folder in the windir

$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes = your theme placed in the correct dir

use this instead of typing out a hole bacth file for your themes, wallpapers, fonts etc

$OEM$\$Doc\All Users\Desktop\ use this one to place shortcuts on the desktop.

$OEM$\$Doc\All Users\Desktop\ use this one to place shortcuts on the desktop.

Just a question about that... I keep some shortcuts aligned vertically on the far right of the Desktop, because they are related to my work. The rest are aligned vertically on the far left.

How does Windows remember the position of the shortcuts on the Desktop? Is it posible to automate the placing of each shortcut? If so, can someone provide some samples of the necessary (Registry?) tweaks...?

:)

@willpantin: Yes. you can define the icon position. it is somewhere in the HOT_KEY_CURRENT_USER, with the explorer settings I believe, burried in a binary stream. i do not remember exactly which reg key, but you can find it with a before/after registy (hive) comparison. You can create the shortcuts (and desktop) on a working system, place them where you like, and export the registry settings. As for the shortcuts them selves, you will need to copy them do the desktop, or create them from an .inf file, during setup. Remember, to make reg settings for all users, it should be done from the CMDLINES.TXT section.

I suspect the key you will need is somewhere near [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

No you don't need to partition your hdd thats what it is for

so that u don't go create partitions, have troubles with multi boot.

Virtual Pc and vmware creates a file say 2GB in your physical drive.

ie hdd.vmdk, New Hard Disk.vhd

So its the easiest thing to deploy. The only part where it fails is it doesn't include all the drivers. For example they use their own display adapter So If you're going to check if your updated driver works you might want to do something otherwise deploying works just great!

sorry for this stupidity the page didn't fully load I thought there was only 1 page,

answered wrong q :):rolleyes:

Edited by XtremeMaC

• 2 weeks later...
@willpantin: Yes. you can define the icon position. it is somewhere in the HOT_KEY_CURRENT_USER, with the

I was always curious as to what the "H" stood for in HKEY... was it Hot Key?

It actually stands for Handle Key. More of a programming term than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...
@willpantin: Yes. you can define the icon position. it is somewhere in the HOT_KEY_CURRENT_USER, with the

I was always curious as to what the "H" stood for in HKEY... was it Hot Key?

It actually stands for Handle Key. More of a programming term than anything else.

It ACTUALLY stands for "Handle to registry KEY" :) But... you are close.

I think $Docs and $Progs are used by windows in migrating previous OS settings, like migrating profiles. Both folders are copied at about the 8 min left mark. Like ProgramFilesDir, it can be used in clean installs too.

-gosh