Other Folders for $OEM$

For anyone who is interested i found some other stuff which you can put in the $OEM$ folder:

\$OEM$\Textmode

Contains updated mass storage drivers and HAL files required during the text-mode portion of Setup.

\$OEM$\$$\Help

Contains custom Help files that Setup copies to the %Windir%\Help folder during installation.

\$OEM$\$1\SysPrep 

Contains files that Setup uses for the Sysprep-based method of installation.

\$OEM$\drive_letter

Represents the root of a particular volume on the system (e.g., \$OEM$\C represents the C: drive) and contains any files that WinXP Setup should copy to this partition during installation.

\$OEM$\drive_letter\subfolder

Represents a particular subfolder of the drive (e.g., \$OEM$\C\MyFolder) and contains any files that Setup should copy to the subfolder during installation. Multiple instances of this type of folder can exist under the \$OEM$\drive_letter folder.

\$OEM$\Textmode

sounds interesting...

so you don't have to mess with the txtsetup.sif-file and just drop the drivers in this folder?

can anyone confirm this? :rolleyes:

Im gonna try anyway - ive only just formatted my pc after failing to get my SATA drivers integrated onto the custom WinXP cd! :D

edit: looks like it doesnt work :) Another cd wasted :/

\$OEM$\Textmode

sounds interesting...

so you don't have to mess with the txtsetup.sif-file and just drop the drivers in this folder?

can anyone confirm this? :rolleyes:

Im gonna try anyway - ive only just formatted my pc after failing to get my SATA drivers integrated onto the custom WinXP cd! :D

edit: looks like it doesnt work :) Another cd wasted :/

i think you need more than just the drivers to use this folder i will look in to it more and instead of uing CD's get a trail of Virtual PC and the bootable ISO images.

dont u have to partition your hard drive with virtual pc, and doesnt that mean formatting n e way? :)

Ive never used it before, but i guess it would be the most sensible way to test windows discs... :rolleyes:

If you wish to use $OEM$\Textmode, you must use this:

This is taken from the MS Help file for the deployment tools pack (ref)

[OEMBootFiles]Answer File = Unattend.txt

The [OEMBootFiles] section contains entries for specifying OEM-supplied boot files. This entry is valid only if you set OemPreinstall to Yes and you place the files listed here in the \$OEM$\Textmode folder of the OEM’s distribution share point.

This section is required if you use the ComputerType entry in either the [unattended] or [MassStorageDrivers] sections of Unattend.txt.

Important

Add driver entries only to the [MassStorageDrivers] and [OEMBootFiles] sections for bootable mass-storage devices. Do not include secondary mass-storage devices. Instead, add the drivers for secondary mass-storage devices to the folder specified by the OemPnPDriversPath entry in your unattended Setup answer file. Including drivers for non-bootable mass-storage devices in the [MassStorageDrivers] or [OEMBootFiles] sections causes an error during Setup.

HAL_file_name

Maps to a hardware abstraction layer (HAL) description in the ComputerType entry of the [unattended] section of the Unattend.txt file.

SCSI_driver_file_name

Maps to a mass-storage device driver description defined in the [MassStorageDrivers] section of the Unattend.txt file. You can list multiple instances of SCSI_driver_file_name in the [OEMBootFiles] section.

TxtSetup.oem

This file contains descriptions of all the OEM-supplied drivers listed in this section and includes instructions on how to install them. This file must exist if the Unattend.txt file contains an [OEMBootFiles] section.

If your mass-storage device is a Plug and Play device, verify that a Hardware Identification section and a reference to the catalog file for the driver (<Driver>.cat) exist in the Txtsetup.oem file.

If the Hardware Identification section does not exist, you must add [HardwareIds.scsi.yyyyy] to the Txtsetup.oem file and verify that the following information is included:

id = xxxxx, yyyyy

where xxxxx represents the device ID, and yyyyy represents the service associated with the device.

So yes, you can use the Textmode directory :)

dont u have to partition your hard drive with virtual pc, and doesnt that mean formatting n e way?  :)

Ive never used it before, but i guess it would be the most sensible way to test windows discs...  :rolleyes:

No, VirtualPC just creates a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) file on your drive. No partitioning required.