Other Folders for $OEM$

To add an shortcut to the quicklaunch bar, i've got a few questions about that

If I put a shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, the shortcut doesn't show

Is it possible to add a shortcut to all the users that have been created?

If I put a shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, the shortcut doesn't show

Put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Still doesn't work? I tried it, but it won't appear

I think it shows a certain folder and that's C:\Documents and Settings\*UserName*\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, the shortcut doesn't show

btw: the Quick Launch folder doesn't exist in the Default User

When are you adding the desired shortcut to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Default......\Quick Launch" folder? Is it before or after the user with whom you are testing is created? If after, try putting it there and creating a new user to see if it appears for them. If it does, you should be able to have it appear for all created users by putting it in the "$Docs\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" folder on your uA CD.

Hope this helps.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah my expirience is when you set the quick launch folder as:

XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Then this will apply to all the user wich will be created.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

I keep my 'Desktop, My Documents' ect, on a different partition.

Is it possible to get setup to do a scan of the drives for these folders so that it will point to them instead if the default location?

Many Thanks

Well my experence is, I put shortcuts in here...

XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop

I also copy a little program called 'Desktop icon Layout' copied from my current setup, so that the layout is the same. Program can be obtained here [http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/iconlayout.zip]

and quick launch shortcuts are copied using a batch file, I find this method easier to keep track of. The shortcut is placed with it's program in the Install folder...

Copy /y "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Winamp\Winamp.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

:hello:

• 4 months later...
\$OEM$\Textmode

sounds interesting...

so you don't have to mess with the txtsetup.sif-file and just drop the drivers in this folder?

can anyone confirm this? :whistle:

Im gonna try anyway - ive only just formatted my pc after failing to get my SATA drivers integrated onto the custom WinXP cd! ;)

edit: looks like it doesnt work :realmad: Another cd wasted :/

i think you need more than just the drivers to use this folder i will look in to it more and instead of uing CD's get a trail of Virtual PC and the bootable ISO images.

I read the rest of this thread, but I did not find any more information on this with drivers. Has anyone done further testing than kcaj?

It's completely documented on Microsoft's site, however it is VERY difficult to get it work, and most people just go the route of editing txtsetup.sif like documented on the Unattended Website.

I was under the impression that if I place backup.exe in $OEM$\$$\System32, then after windows install was complete, I would be able to find backup.exe in the $windir$\system32. This did not seem to work for me -- Will someone explain briefly the point in such folders if it does not copy in that automatic fashion? Thank you

@matthewk

OEMPreInstall=YES must be set in WINNT.SIF for the $OEM$ folders to work. This is also assuming you have the $OEM$ folder in the proper place and that when creating the ISO it's name isn't being changed.

@Alanoll

Thank you very much for the explanation. That helped me.

What about $OEM$\$1\Drivers ? How does this differ from the System32 path for example in that the drivers would be copied, and so they would be installed? Thank you for your time