Other Folders for $OEM$

@willpantin: but you can find it with a before/after registy (hive) comparison. You can create the shortcuts (and desktop) on a working system, place them where you like, and export the registry settings.

This is a little off topic - but what recommendations do you have for tracking Hive changes/ Hive comparison tools etc?

Cheers,

Felix

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see if I can answer some of the questions some people had on here, first the one about he $OEM$\Textmode, acording to M$, you have to put that folder into your I386 folder for it to work properly from what I read on their site. So it should look like I386\$OEM$\Textmode. As far as the one goes about the placement of icons on the desktop, if you look in your desktop folder, (you have to first unhide hidden/system files,) you should see a desktop.ini file, if you look inside that it should have the settings for how you have your desktop layed out, just copy that to the $OEM$\$$\$Docs\(username)\Desktop directory and it should do the trick for you. Also, you can put things into the \$Docs\Defualt User directory and everyone who logs into the computer will have the same settings. Comes in handy when you want to put a list of favorites for everyone to use that logs into the computer. I also use it to copy over default settings and such that I want everyone who logs into my system to use.

HTH.

Can I add to my $OEM$/$Docs/user/My Documents folder during install? I seem to remember trying it once a long time ago and it messed up the creation of my user account on first login. I think I tried ".../Ed/My Documents" and ended up with another acct named something like "computer.Ed". I can't remember exactly the names, I just remember it got messed up.

Is there a way to populate my personal My Documents folder and not run into problems?

You can make an SFX archive (7zip, winrar, etc) which contains the files for 'My documents". Just extract it to the proper folder after your user is created. If you don't want to mess with archives and you have the space, just copy the files from your CD or install directory to ...username\my documents.

You can make an SFX archive (7zip, winrar, etc) which contains the files for 'My documents". Just extract it to the proper folder after your user is created. If you don't want to mess with archives and you have the space, just copy the files from your CD or install directory to ...username\my documents.

Thanks,

I assume that this can be automated? If so, should I do it from my cmdlines.txt?

It can be done silently, of course. Depends on how you want to do it. You should do this after the user is created. If you are creating users during cmdlines.txt then you can copy the files for that user's 'My Documents' after the user is created. If you are using RunOnceEx or GUIRunOnce, you can also do it from there.

I use 7zip to make self-extracting archives. It's pretty simple. -y switch is used to silently extract 7zip sfx archives.

http://www.7-zip.org/

@willpantin: Yes. you can define the icon position. it is somewhere in the HOT_KEY_CURRENT_USER, with the

I was always curious as to what the "H" stood for in HKEY... was it Hot Key?

It actually stands for Handle Key. More of a programming term than anything else.

It ACTUALLY stands for "Handle to registry KEY" :) But... you are close.

I always assumed it meant Hive_Key. o.0

Can I add to my $OEM$/$Docs/user/My Documents folder during install?  I seem to remember trying it once a long time ago and it messed up the creation of my user account on first login. I think I tried ".../Ed/My Documents" and ended up with another acct named something like "computer.Ed". I can't remember exactly the names, I just remember it got messed up.

Is there a way to populate my personal My Documents folder and not run into problems?

You have to define the user account in Unattended, but it worked when I did it last time with SP1. Which is why I recommended the Default User account, you don't have to define it as it's already defined. Only difference is if you do it that way then everyone that logs into the computer initially has their screen look that way.

• 2 months later...
If I create $Docs, but leave it empty, would that mean the irritating My Pictures\Examples (dunno of "examples" is the right name, in the Dutch Windows it's "voorbeelden") would NOT be created?

Creating an empty folder called $Docs will do nothing. This special folders have the purpose for setup to copy over the items that you put in them.

You will need to make a batch file to delete these irritating My Pictures\Examples.

• 1 month later...
Put in cleanup.cmd

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\*.jpg"

This will delete all the sample jpg files in the Sample Pictures folder, but will not delete the Sample Pictures folder itself. IMO, a better solution would be:

RD /Q /S "%AllUsersProfile%\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures"
DEL "%UserProfile%\My Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures.lnk"

This will delete all the sample pictures, the Sample Pictures directory itself, and the link to the Sample Pictures directory created in your user's personal My Pictures folder. Any users created afterwards will also have no link created.

Thanks to ClauSoft for bumping this thread back up to the top where I would see it. I can now implement this on my own automated CD, fixing an annoyance I hadn't even considered yet. :D

Just to get this clear on the directory's you can use when creating a new unattended install here's a complete list of all the dir's (well I think it's complete)

$OEM$
$OEM$\$1
$OEM$\$1\Drivers
$OEM$\$1\Install
$OEM$\$1\SysPrep
$OEM$\$$
$OEM$\$$\Fonts
$OEM$\$$\Help
$OEM$\$$\Resources
$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes
$OEM$\$$\System32
$OEM$\$$\Web
$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpapers
$OEM$\$Docs
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Favorites
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
$OEM$\$Progs
$OEM$\Textmode

offcourse you need to create them as subdirs off X:\XPCD\

Maybe this can be added to the startpost?