XP System now very slow to hibernate

websquad

Running Windows XP SP2, with latest fixes per the Feb 07 Patch Tuesday, on Gateway 700SE tower with 1.5 GB RAM, Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz, three hard disks with 21.1 GB free space on system drive (c:).

After installing an ATI Radeon 9200 dual-head AGP graphics adapter and a second monitor, with latest AGI driver and Net Framework 2.0 (1.1 is still installed), hibernation, which I use often, went from about 15 seconds to about 2:15. No noticed changes in performance elsewhere in the system.

(1) Applied latest fixes from Feb 07 Patch Tuesday to Net Framework 2.0 (there were several as I recall) ... hibernation reduced to about 1:49.

(2) Defragmented drive c:, the system volume (which has hiberfil.sys), and reduced hibernation by only 7 more seconds.

(3) After backing up the registry, used PC Tools' Registry Mechanic to scan and fix any registry problems and then compact and optimize my registry. No difference in hibernation after that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

try turning off hibernation and then defragging disk.

I turned off hibernation and checked the defrag status report after a status scan: hyberfil.sys was not fragmented. Ran defrag anyway, and turned hibernation back on. Results: no change in hibernation time. Note: returning from hibernation is as fast as it has always been.

Check and see how much is running in the background. Maybe theres something hogging all your ram.

Other than FireFox, my browser of choice, all the other tasks seem to be in check. But, check here to see if you agree with my conclusion ... at the point when I took that screen print, I had Eudora, Windows Task Manager, Notetab Pro (my preferred HTML editor), WS_FTP LE (FTP program), Adobe Photoshop CS, and FireFox running as active tasks, with a bunch of supporting applets and tasks.

I'd like your opinion ....

wow thats a lot of stuff. What are you doing in Firefox? Mine usually runs at like 30 - 45MB. Try doing a cold boot of XP and then do a hibernation and see if there is a difference.

And one more question, ever since you installed this new video card, have you reloaded your computer?

I find when adding fairly major new hardware, the system doesn't run the same. Thus, I always do a reload when adding new hardware. I never have any problems doing that.

wow thats a lot of stuff. What are you doing in Firefox? Mine usually runs at like 30 - 45MB. Try doing a cold boot of XP and then do a hibernation and see if there is a difference.

I did a cold boot, and Firefox came up, with only the Windows Task Manager and Firefox running, at about 28K ... with two tabs open, 40K. I think I have a problem with Firefox not clean up its memory useage ... I'll deal with that on their forum.

And one more question, ever since you installed this new video card, have you reloaded your computer? I find when adding fairly major new hardware, the system doesn't run the same. Thus, I always do a reload when adding new hardware. I never have any problems doing that.

What do you mean by "reload" ... reinstalling the operating system?

And one more question, ever since you installed this new video card, have you reloaded your computer?

I hibernated after the last cold boot a few minutes ago, and the time was down to 1:12 ... Firefox is at 42,300K with just two tabs open (I normally have 4-5 tabs open at once).

New Information: Last night I starting reviewing the "Event Viewer", and found that during the start of hibernation I was getting an System error "The device, \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0, did not respond within the timeout period." I did not get that error with this latest hibernate test.

And one more question, ever since you installed this new video card, have you reloaded your computer? I find when adding fairly major new hardware, the system doesn't run the same. Thus, I always do a reload when adding new hardware. I never have any problems doing that.

What do you mean by "reload" ... reinstalling the operating system?

Precisely what I mean. Have you done this before?

Precisely what I mean. Have you done this before?

Yes, but I'm not going to reinstall for this problem ... although the slow hibernation is a major pain, I just don't have the time to reload XP, SP2, all the upgrades from the MS site, and then reconfigure network, wifi, etc.