98SE and Vista

jasinwa

I've wracked my brains (what little I have!) this weekend, trying to make a shared folder from a notebook using Vista, be usable on my main 98SE machine.

The folder on Vista must be set up correctly because I (1) can see it on 98SE (2) can use it no problems if I use another pc that has xp on it.

So for now I have to transfer the files from 98 to xp, then xp to vista!!

I have removed password protection from that folder. I have dl'ed and installed DSCLIENT9X.msi (and modified the registry with the proper value '3' for that new key) which should allow 98 to negotiate the correct LMCompatibility sequence (LM2, I believe).

I can see the folder and files but if I try to do anything like copy/move, etc, I get an error after about 30 seconds saying the drive is now not accessible.

Anyone have any luck using a vista folder with 98?

Jeff

Were you trying to create that folder on a FAT32 or FAT16 partition/disk?

Please disregard this question if you did. ;)

:w00t: I think he's talking network share and not physical HDD sharing/swappping. :hello:

yes, the folder created on the vista pc. I am trying to access it on the 98se pc. An XP fat32 and an XP ntfs pc see and can work with vista folder fine.

The 98se pc can see the folder but not do anything. Constant drive not accessible errors no matter what I try.

I may not have set the reg key up correctly. The info on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869 was not clear to me but I tried a few ways and no luck at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

wow, no one else has ran into this yet? I am surprised because I figured someone else would have Vista and 98SE, 98 being their main system...

Again:

From the 98 machine I can see the shared drive on the Vista PC but can not copy to-from/move to-from, etc.

From the Vista pc, I can copy/edit to the 98 pc fine (but I do not want to share files from the main 98 machine, just did it for a test)

I can go from 98 to XP fine, either way.

Anyone have the same issue or had it and solved it?

thanks - Jeff

been there, did that.

Set sharing for a specific directory. Set so "everyone" has full control.

On the "Security" tab too ?

yea, pretty sure...but I gave up on it...2 machines with vista, same exact problem.

So one I turned down to xp, the other I returned to dell (new notebook). When I told the agent why I was returning it, she said she's received some similar complaints....

But I don't have V to verify now....

oh, and remember, I can go from XP to Vista no problems at all...so

98 -> Vista directory = no go

XP -> Vista directory = OK

So it can't have to do with security, eh?

Edited by jasinwa

The answer is simple: Windows 98 can NOT see NTFS partitions.

Your simple "answer" is wrong in this context.

This topic is for accessing shared partitions over the network, not for directly accessing local partitions.

Win98 could access any kind of partition over the network as long as it "speaks" the same protocol as the server. Of course, the same apply for other OSes too.

OK, back to the topic...

jasinwa, if you happen to install Vista and try this again, check the security logs, they may lead to a hint where the negotiation brokes. You may need to enable audition for remote access to the shares in order to get such logs.

chozo4: yes. please read my info. On same pc, nothing different, I can see/use XP fine (which btw, nitroshift, is ALSO ntfs). You guys are not reading the data.

98+XP OK

98+Vista not OK.

XP+Vista OK

file sharing wise.

So same 98 machine can use xp ine, no changes.

vista set up identically as xp but 98 can not share. Vista CAN share 98.

So, conclusion = Vista has some setting that does not allow 98 to share....or I am missing a detting somewhere.

Again - No one else has had the capability to try, to confirm the issue? No one had a 98se and vista machine??