Hosts file not working

Zoom7000

I've tried blocking some websites by adding them to my hosts file. However, for some reason it's stopped working. (i.e The websites are still working even though I have re-routed them to the local host)

I've used the usual method:

E.g. 127.0.0.1 runescape.com

Is there any reason the file isn't doing what it should be?

It could. Go into Zonealarm Control Center click on firewall main tab and advanced and see if the hosts file is locked. If you have antispyware software it may lock it also. If you have some security suite as part of your antivirus it cold be there too.

Just some places to look.

Joe

Checked everything. It all seems to be fine, the hosts file is not locked by ZoneAlarm. I dunno why but it doesn't want to work. It seems to do the trick in Firefox though, just not in IE7? Do I also need to edit the hosts.msn file?

The DNS service has nothing to do with it.

Have you tried running ipconfig /flushdns yet? Also, your 127.0.0.1 should be 0.0.0.0

I've tried the ipconfig /flushdns, to no avail. However, why does 127.0.0.1 need to be 0.0.0.0? That's the first time I've heard of the local host being that address.

I was pointed to this link. Apparently, it's a feature in IE7. I can confirm this, because the file work fine for Firefox. So, how can I "undo" this annoying feature. :realmad:

Have you tried this site http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm This is where I get my Hosts file. I only had IE 7 for a short time and went back to 6 because of problems. It was pretty buggy as far as I was concerned. I didn't use it enough to notice if the Hosts file worked of not.

Joe

Now there's one guy who's got a handle on the situation (finally).

After letting AutoUpdates inject IE7 into my PC, I found all sorts of problems with O.E. etc.

It was an easy choice to just go to Add/Remove programs and dump that turkey.

I've blocked IE7 from ever downloading again.

I too have been a fan of Mike Burgess and his custom hosts file, for many long months.

I signed up for his newsletter (Hosts Alerts) and have his "Hosts Secure" program to download the latest Hosts file and install it where it needs to be.

Maybe just deleting the old hosts file and replacing it with the latest one from Mike, would solve a bunch of problems.

I'd sure give it a try. Like, what can it hurt? :sneaky:

OldGoat43 :thumbup

Well, I don't wanna remove IE7 as of yet, so downloading that hosts file is gonna be no use to me because IE7 is bypassing the hosts file anyway. So, anyone got any other ideas?

The DNS service has nothing to do with it.

Have you tried running ipconfig /flushdns yet? Also, your 127.0.0.1 should be 0.0.0.0

I've tried the ipconfig /flushdns, to no avail. However, why does 127.0.0.1 need to be 0.0.0.0? That's the first time I've heard of the local host being that address.

I was pointed to this link. Apparently, it's a feature in IE7. I can confirm this, because the file work fine for Firefox. So, how can I "undo" this annoying feature. :realmad:

127.0.0.1 points to your machine. Sending it to 0.0.0.0 sends it to a dead address. When sent to the localhost address it will retry connection attempts multiple times. However, when sent to 0.0.0.0 it will try once and then stop.

Have you tried this site http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm This is where I get my Hosts file. I only had IE 7 for a short time and went back to 6 because of problems. It was pretty buggy as far as I was concerned. I didn't use it enough to notice if the Hosts file worked of not.

Joe

Unfortunately their Hosts file is inaccurate and bloated. It will slow down your network performance and surfing habits. They also give you misinformation about disabling the DNS Client service, which should not be disabled.

Joe

Now there's one guy who's got a handle on the situation (finally).

After letting AutoUpdates inject IE7 into my PC, I found all sorts of problems with O.E. etc.

It was an easy choice to just go to Add/Remove programs and dump that turkey.

I've blocked IE7 from ever downloading again.

I too have been a fan of Mike Burgess and his custom hosts file, for many long months.

I signed up for his newsletter (Hosts Alerts) and have his "Hosts Secure" program to download the latest Hosts file and install it where it needs to be.

Maybe just deleting the old hosts file and replacing it with the latest one from Mike, would solve a bunch of problems.

I'd sure give it a try. Like, what can it hurt? :sneaky:

OldGoat43 :thumbup

He doesn't have a handle on the situation at all, his hosts file simply slows your machine and surfing drastically.

Host file usage debunked which also features how to block malware and other items safely. Things like SpywareBlaster and IESpyAds will work wonders.